1. News & Issues
Robert Longley

SSI and the Tax Rebate Checks

By February 9, 2008

Based on the Economic Stimulus Bill as passed by Congress, persons with income from Supplemental Security Income (SSI) alone will not qualify for a tax rebate check.

The law authorizing the rebate checks (H.R. 5140) specifically limits qualifying income from Social Security benefits to "any amount received by the taxpayer by reason of entitlement to - (A) a monthly benefit under Title II of the Social Security Act, or (B) a tier 1 railroad retirement benefit."

SSI is authorized under Title XVI of the Social Security Act, not Title II.

Supplemental Security Income is funded by general tax revenues, not Social Security taxes. It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income by providing cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter.

Specific Questions? Call the IRS
Since everybody's tax situation is different, and final qualification for the rebate checks will be decided by the IRS based on each individual's 2007 tax return, all specific questions regarding the rebate checks should be directed to the IRS. You can call the IRS at: Toll-Free, 1-800-829-1040 Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

More Tax Rebate Resources
Tax Rebate Information Directory
IRS Publishes 2008 Tax Rebate Check Details
IRS Launches Tax Rebate Information Center
Rebate-only Tax Filers May Now File for Free
Will I Have to Pay Taxes On My Rebate?
To Get $300 Rebate, Kids Must Have SS Number
SSI and the Tax Rebate Checks
What if I Filed Before the Tax Rebate was Approved?
Tax Rebate Checks Become Scammer's "Bait"

Comments

February 26, 2008 at 7:57 pm
(1) Richard McCarthy says:

How does this impact/affect people on SSD. If An individual was on SSD and working a small part time job does that person qualify.
I understand only people who filed tax returns qualify. How does that effect a person on social security whos income is so low they stopped filing tax returns.
What if a persons (our neighbor down the street)sole income had been her tenants rent.

February 26, 2008 at 8:15 pm
(2) Robert says:

Richard — As you said, no tax return, no rebate. If your neighbor had over $3,000 in combined adjusted gross income, she must file a return to get a check. However, it can be tricky for social security folks to fill out the return form. You need to follow some of the IRS links in my post “IRS Launches Tax Rebate Information Center” at:

Robert

February 29, 2008 at 12:46 pm
(3) Debra says:

SSI recipients should be eligible too! They are among the poorest Americans, and disabled. Why should they be left out of the rebate? They have expenses such as heat, food, and shelter also.
People who survive on less than the minimum poverty limit are among the neediest!

February 29, 2008 at 12:58 pm
(4) Robert says:

Debra — The money for the rebate is coming from taxes paid. In other words, it is some of the taxpayers’ own money back. Few SSI recipents are required to pay federal income tax. In addition, the purpose of the rebate is to stimulate the economy, which will not happen if people save the money or use it to pay off existing debt.

Robert

March 5, 2008 at 9:42 am
(5) Sue says:

I’m on SSI and I would use the money to buy a Freezer! But, I now see that people on SSI won’t get a rebate check! That is not right!!!

March 8, 2008 at 6:10 pm
(6) Joan says:

I think it is terrible that the SSI recipients are left out. Those are the people who are worse off than any of us. What a terrible thing to do. I don’t know who made that decision but I totally disagree with it.

March 10, 2008 at 6:45 pm
(7) steve says:

Well im on ssi and honestly i would use the money as a down payment on a house. or to finance my wedding in june. not happening now though this sucks!

March 13, 2008 at 4:06 pm
(8) ehrin says:

this sucks i am on ssi and social Security
and i would pay some extra bills off now i cant. this sucks for people are working get but disable people and blind people and etc dont get tax reabte check

March 14, 2008 at 10:07 pm
(9) john says:

You have to be kidding me. I’m not on SSI. I work but My sister is on SSI, she’s always in need , always asking me for help since she’s so poor. I can’t believe this. I know the law is the law but what’s wrong is wrong. This is just wrong not to give the poorest people help. What’s the point of helping those who are not in need? can anyone talk to congress about this? is it God bless America? or is it God only bless those that are not poor? Come on? Let’s all see the light here..Something has to be done quick. Those poor people needs help..please please please please. If congress change this to also give people on SSI relief, God will truely bless them.

March 15, 2008 at 1:06 pm
(10) wes says:

Well leave it up to President,King,or Dictator Bush, which ever you prfer to call him, but I believe that people who have a gross income of 50,000 or less should be intitled to a rebate check. This would include those people who receive S.S.I or Social Security benifits. But since we are talking rebate it just goes to show everyone across america from Main to California, from Alaska to Texas, and Hawaii that those politicians in the House of Represetatives, and the Senate to Mr. Bush just have to complicate the simple. I have always thought that a good deal of those politicians are paralyzed from the neck up, or for a better phrase to much novacain at the dentist which made their minds go numb. The best thing to do is this November vote the incumbants out all across america. The only real people that know what it is like to work two jobs are those of us that are doing it everyday, as well as those living just on S.S.I or Social Security. Wake up those who sleep in Washington D.C. and heed the voice of the poorest of Americans because you all need our votes also!!!!!!!!

March 15, 2008 at 1:24 pm
(11) gregory Schuk says:

Shame on YOU Mr. President Bush and Congress!!!!!! I am a 47-year old male that has been diagnosed with hiv, 10-years ago. Now my health is starting to fail, I am one step from being one of the many from being homeless. I have always been a good-hard, working American. That was one of the Morals my Father instilled in each and everyone of his children. Now that I can no longer work, and I am limited to funds(529.00) a-month you the American leaders tell Me and the countles thousands of Americans, that are on a fixed income like us How and What are we to do!! I Do not ask for sympathy, but What if you were in one of our Shoes!!!! How can our leaders sleep at nite knowing that there are American citizens across this Nation, that are in the POVERETY LEVEL!!! How can our Leaders at nite sleep knowing that there are Amerivans that are going Hungry at nite, That are disqualified from a re-bate check. There are times I wonder if and what I will have to eat at Night!! Im sorry , but I cannot see the logic in this at all!!! I say that every Ameican Natural Born Citizen should have a relief for the Rebate!!! for people who are making under 25,000, a year!!! And what about the Illeagal poupulatiopn will they get a check?? I am sure they will. Oh, for-get about Natural born citizens. I am even having trouble getting food stamps, But belive me yoou, the Illeagals don,t have to worry about food syamps or health care!!!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS!!!! Good question. Sincerly Mr. Gregory. Wayne Schuk, of Republic Mo.

March 15, 2008 at 7:32 pm
(12) Robert says:

Robert

March 30, 2008 at 2:05 pm
(13) Greg says:

What do you expect, Bush Republicans only care about the rich, the poor are a write off, not to be talked about.

April 12, 2008 at 2:53 am
(14) joseph says:

“Rather than seeking a one-time check for $600, SSI recipients, and their friends and families should be urging Congress to approve an increase to the basic monthly SSI benefit.

Robert”

Nice for the long term, but with the current economic climate the way it is, those on SSI and poorest in general are going to be hit the hardest, so what’s so Stimulating about this Economic Package then?

April 15, 2008 at 6:52 pm
(15) Jessa P says:

I am on SSI as well. Id like to say thanks to the president for pulling money out of the increase for foodstamps and unemployment to give the working class more money! Its not like the poor needs anything right??!!

April 27, 2008 at 11:39 pm
(16) Becky says:

This is outrageous !!!!!! In Dec of 2006 my boyfriend of 14 years committed suicide and the worst part he did this in front of me. We have 3 children together and needless to say I took some time off of work. BUT, when I was ready to go back, policy states that anyone NOT on the schedule for 30 days or more no longer has a job…WONDERFUL !!! So I just took the year and spent it with my kids, who are still having a hard time dealing with the death of their father. So in 2007 our only income was socai secuirty. Because of my descion to take some time off I now dont get the rebate. And what makes this worse is that, I have since gone back to work, but because of that I now make too much money ( @ 6.50 an hr pt….yeah ok…) and have no insurance and just got diagnosed with cataracts in both eyes, and for the shocker i am only 34 years old. At $4000 an eye there is no way I can get this done. WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TOO!!!!! I have never been lazy or just say back and lived off the state. BUT damn, this is 1 step forward and 2 steps back kinda game..

May 19, 2008 at 7:34 pm
(17) Doyle says:

SSI recipients incomes or paid by hard working Americans that pay taxes to the federal and state governments, not an entitlement of benefits that they have earned. SSI recipients should be thankful for the supplements they receive and quit complaining.

March 15, 2011 at 12:15 am
(18) MAx says:

Now to make my point to this post, and why I am responding, I worked all my life! Was never on welfare, (even though I dont prejudge anyone who needs to be or has had to) I paid into the system. I just happened to have a crappy Attorney, (who by the way was called in at the last minute for my hearing) as my attorney happen to be in surgery. So with that said, this jerk sold me down the river, made a deal with the Judge and changed my on set date of illness!! OK, So never say never. I have fought this now for 10 yrs, Took the first 5 yrs and the congressman here in town to get a correct answer for me, if I was eligible at the time of filling or not!!Well I was. SS Said go after the attorney. Ok what attorney wants to go after a other attorney? Found One attorney who said he would take my case if I had a 10,000 retainer is change me to SSD. Living on 800 a month. Not only is my money less then half, I would have Medicare and believe I would be a lot healther and maybe back at work by now. No one has any idea what a mess this ssi Is, and I am sure I am not the only one who this has happened to. This is what I got, now at the age of 55, and basically bed ridden, and have gone nothing but down hill! It is a crime that they let people who have chronic illness’s just suffer, and wont do a damm thing to help them. Wake up, it can happen to you. I have seen many seniors also have lost everything, and tried to save there spouse, and no insurance, and had to apply for ssi with medicare. I would not expect a animal to go through the kind of care I have received. I have no more fight in me anymore. It has taken everything out of me, and the stress and humiliation. I get sick of explaining to those Doctors, (who say if you had medicare, I could get you into a specialist!) or you are lucky you have insurance.

June 9, 2011 at 12:13 pm
(19) Roland says:

Doyle,What you say about benifits not be given to ones on ssi.?????Ok Im ;disabilited after working 46 years .I cant go to work due to many different illnesses.Do youthink that i should be included in this no benifits or how about millions of others that have worked for years & now can;t work for one reasoin or an ther. think on this,You might change yr attute ???.( I;m not holding my breath here.)

May 22, 2008 at 9:39 pm
(20) nellie says:

What about $165 billions for the war?

May 30, 2008 at 2:21 pm
(21) Linda says:

I received my stimumus check and it was for $6.00 I thought you was to get 300. what a let down. I make $8200.00 a year not by choice I’d love to see people in the goverment office making that kind of money they help everyone else than there own people here in the United States can’t afford to live and can’t aford to die. the American people. I don’t drink or smoke! The Immigrints make out better than I do they cheat the system get all they want for free good jobs good pay and me a citizen of the United States.

May 31, 2008 at 3:32 pm
(22) Sandra says:

Hey Doyle!
Did you get YOUR stimulus payment? Sounds like maybe you did! I want to be the first to tell you YOU should be ashamed telling people to be glad they get SSI (wow, and its a whole lot too…NOT)to quit complaining. You sound like just another numb brain who thinks they are personally paying the bills.
I want you to know,I get a small, and I mean small portion of my money from SSI, the rest of my dissability (which I did NOT ask for, and I bet none of these other folks did either!) the rest is Social Security that I paid MYSELF. I worked SOLID since I was 16 yrs old..YOU never paid a nickle for me buddy, so get off your horse. Dont you tell me to be greatful, I would be greatful if I had gotten the amount they said I would every year when they sent that notice every year saying ‘if you become disabled right now you would receive XX amount of dollars” If I had THAT I would care at all about this stimulus payment. Get your head out of your behind mister, you have NO idea what you are talking about!!!

June 5, 2008 at 1:04 pm
(23) DAVID G. says:

i’m on soc. sen.i’m i going to get rebate check or is the gov. going to screw us senior again.

June 5, 2008 at 1:33 pm
(24) Robert says:

David G: Like everyone else, senior or not, if you filed a 2007 tax return and qualified for a rebate, you will get one. And, if you think you’re screwed, think of all the seniors who, by 2025 or so, may not even get the social security they have contributed to all their working lives. Now THAT’S screwed.

June 8, 2008 at 5:17 am
(25) jerry w says:

i think it is not right people on ssi should get hope to iwish the u.s gov had to live like us then he would see how we have to live i have a 4yeraold and it is very hard to pay the bills and buy for him the u.s gov dose not carry.

June 8, 2008 at 3:49 pm
(26) Arlene says:

I receive both SSI and SSA will I get a stimulus check???

Its kind of crazy to be waiting for something thats not going to come.

How, where do I work to have SSI increased.

OH, by the way when one goes up the other one goes down so there is NO increase.

June 19, 2008 at 10:30 pm
(27) No Name says:

I believe that it is wrong that only those who have the qulifying income can recieve a rebate I am a single parent, with a part time job and a full time student, I do have a child that recieves ssi but cant claim it because it is not my income but even if I could; I still don’t qualify because I don’t have the earned income. I struggle to make ends meet. Why is it that the government gives out more money to the ones that make more.I have noticed that the rebate checks are larger to those who make more. That doesn’t make sense to me. I work hard to better myself, and to support my kids but because I didn’t earn 3000. dollars for the year I don’t qualify for a rebate. I find this to be unfair, because I know I am not the only one that feels this way.

June 23, 2008 at 3:38 pm
(28) Nancy says:

I don’t agree with how things are set up. However I do understand that the rebate money if coming from “TAXES” paid, and people who recieven SSI don’t tend to have to pay taxes. I work a part time job, and am a fulltime college student. I have things hard to so I can understand that. My mother gets SSI and she is able to understand why she won’t be getting a rebate check. Though she don’t agree with it. posting complains on here is not going to do any good. If you want something done, take your complaints to a higher level. Now I seriously don’t see people on SSI getting a rebate check at this point but maybe something else could be done for them. It’s pretty much the same way for others like myself who work and go to school but can’t get any type of assistance such as food stamps or anything due to making to much. Yet working part time only and sometimes the hours are like 15 hours a week, paying bills and other exspencise. I have to do it on my own.

June 24, 2008 at 6:13 pm
(29) Charlie says:

Iam a 27yr old female and have 2 kids i live off of S.S.I i only get 637.oo month no childsupport i have to pay bills just as anybody else i think i should have recieved some money iam a part of the ecomy to.

June 25, 2008 at 5:12 pm
(30) ken says:

why does it say i was claimed by someone but my parents didnt get payment for it

June 25, 2008 at 5:27 pm
(31) jsalee says:

I just wanna say , i feel bad for those that didn’t get the stimulus checks. But, i dont no if the poeple that are recing ssi no’s that ever year, there able to apply for it’s call rental assistance program . it’s only apply to ssi income.. It’s about $340.00 each year that they get..

June 25, 2008 at 5:29 pm
(32) no name says:

There is a program call RENTAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM for those who rec’d SSI income. Evry year there able to apply for the program. And get up to $340.00..

June 27, 2008 at 5:22 pm
(33) how depressing says:

this whole thing is disgusting. why does everything hAVE TO BE SOOOOOO COMPLICATED???? MY HUSBAND AND I FILED TOGETHER AND WE DON’T MAKE OVER 150,000 AND WE ONLY GOT 600.WHATS UP WITH THAT?????? AND GUESS WHAT YOU HAVE ALL THE PHONE NUMBERS LISTED BUT YOU CAN’T GET THROUGH TO TALK TO ANYONE… HOW CONVENIENT FOR YOU

July 4, 2008 at 3:59 pm
(34) Demo-Cat says:

Doyle, YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF! We on SSI aren’t there by choice. Do you want to trade places with us? I’ll take your place any time. You can have my seizures. Put down “epilepsy” on an application–knowing that lying can be bad for your health if you have a seizure–and see what that does for your job prospects. And hey, Doyle, I’m lucky. That’s not so bad. Other SSI recipients can tell you stories that will curl your toes. Still think we should be thankful? Still think we’re lucky? WHY DO YOU THINK WE’RE ON SSI, BUDDY?
My point is this, Doyle, before you start being angry at SSI recipients, or anyone else you no little about, take a few moments to think the thing through. What or who is the subject you are about to discuss? What do you know about it? Do you know enough to write about it? I don’t think you did any of those things, Doyle. Now go back and see if you really think you should have said those things.

August 5, 2008 at 11:30 am
(35) D says:

I get SSI, and I think it’s wrong that we didn’t get a check like everyone else. Everything is going up, and the amount I get every month doesn’t even come close to what I need for bills, rent and food. With food and everything else going up, you would think they would raise the money we get every month or better yet just give us a check like everyone else got, yes I know it’s for people that pay taxes every year. This is something I did not choose to be on, my health is bad and I had no choice to be on SSI, stop working and deal with this. But come on we need help too. Times are tough!

August 26, 2008 at 9:56 am
(36) Dale says:

SSI Payments show be raised to $800 a month

August 29, 2008 at 8:24 pm
(37) Violet Weinberg says:

My son worked for more than 25 years and contributed to SS. His MS was misdiagnosed as ADHD. His income went down until he could not pay into SS…and then after six years he was correctly diagnosed. No longer eligible for SS he got SSI. Every time he gets a raise the State of NC takes the raise out of his food stamps. If I give him food he is supposed to report it so they can subtract that from his SSI…I can’t give him anything he “needs” only what he doesn’t need………

Violet

October 5, 2008 at 10:10 pm
(38) melena1962 says:

my 22 y/o son receives ssi and he received his $300.00 rebate check, what are all of you talking about?? Someone is feeding you incorrect information.

October 9, 2008 at 1:20 pm
(39) jon says:

it’s crap. I Get SSI, work, and pay taxes. When working I don’t receive much at all from SSI about a hundred bucks a month. I pay taxes, I should get the godammned rebate just like everyone else. If I don’t work I receive about 1000 bucks a month from SSI, and I don’t have to pay income tax. Unfortunately not working much, makes me depressed so I opt to work and lose out financially in the long run. But I figure If I don’t get the rebate like a normal citizen would, then I am not an actual citizen and therefore have no moral obligations to follow the laws that govern a true citizen.

November 26, 2008 at 1:59 am
(40) margaret says:

To the woman who said her son receives ssi and received a rebate check are you sure he is not receiving a different kind of assistance? You ask what we are all talking about and that we have been misinformed well then we need to take this up with the I.R.S. as they are the ones we received our information from.Perhaps you should not mention the fact your son received a stimulas check because if as you say he is receiving ssi benefits then he was not entitled to the rebate check.

December 29, 2008 at 5:08 pm
(41) judi says:

if we arent eligable for the stimilus chk then y not raise our benifits? we pay for gas and stuff like everyone else.

January 15, 2009 at 7:10 pm
(42) Wanda says:

#1 Doyle…Your lack of human compassion is SO SAD! The greater part of the people who are on SSI had NO WISH to be where they are in life. They had dreams, and hopes just like the rest of us! All of witch were lost due to illness, or physical injury.
#2 My husband will be 70yrs. old in about 6mo. He gets SS Retirement Benefits. Which by the way he payed into via taxes for over 45 years. Up until mid May-2008 he still worked at his regular job. Why? Because it was not enough income to pay our bills. He was laid off work due to the economy crunch we are in. At this time he is drawing Unemployment Benefits. Which will run out in the near future. We stand a chance of loosing our home. Why? Because SS Retirement Benefits are not enough to meet general living expenses. Let alone property taxes etc.. After over 45 years of paying taxes from his hard earned wages! This is what it’s come down too.
#3 It is great to be voicing our opinion here. However if we want to be heard, and see results? Then WRITE to your State Congressman. Flood their US Mail Box, and Email Box with your complaints. Along with a reminder that you carry A VOTE! In case your unaware? The People have the power to FIRE a Congressman. Along with a number of other Government Officials. If the Citizens of The United States of America speak out, and stand together as one. We would make a difference, and see things change.

February 10, 2009 at 10:14 am
(43) rodney says:

i feel that people how are on ssi should get rental rebates

February 18, 2009 at 12:56 pm
(44) banjobuzz says:

i’m on ssi. i own my own home with no leins.(prolly not for long though). i pay my property taxes every year. i pay school operating tax in two districts. i pay road usage tax, (and i dont drive), i pay state sales tax. does anyone know how many programs granholm cut from us, so to get the maximum fed money allowed? she’s a criminal. i better get one hell of a raise in food stamps so i can eat. hope you spend my $ well chicky…

February 21, 2009 at 9:29 pm
(45) Patrick Skadowski says:

Yes folks, it’s not only hard to beleive…it is even harder to accept. I’m not one of those people who acted out and get an SSI Nut Check every month. I AM DISABLED. My wife works and makes between $800.00 to $1000.00 per month. I just got an increase in my SSI to $674.00 per month. They turned around and have reduced my SSI to $524.37 per month. Their reason? My wife makes too much! CAn you beleive this crap. We barely get by. An annual income of just over $17,000.00. After we do the math on everything we have to lay out just to live we are $92.00 short. Now they pull this crap. Folks…you need to watch Michael Moores documentary “Sicko.” Just watch it…your eyes will be opened in a way our government does’nt want them to be. The only thing that could help my family right now is if I were to die. How about that America!

March 28, 2009 at 3:13 pm
(46) rodney says:

why people on ssi dont a rebate check

March 29, 2009 at 1:46 pm
(47) Petr Hausbeck says:

I see that everyone on disability payments will receive a second round of stimulus checks except for single persons on SSI. Here we are struggling just like everyone else and SSI recipients have an even tighter budget than most. We are unable to join the workforce due to our disability unlike people on SSD which are able to have a second source of income “all be-it” small but much needed in tough times like these. Now, I would be the first to say that more government handouts are not the answer to everyone’s problems. But when the entire nation is on the brink of financial collapse shouldn’t the government try to help ALL THE PEOPLE despite their the kind of government financial aid? It looks like the SSI recipients will be the forgotten few once again….

March 29, 2009 at 6:03 pm
(48) Robert says:

The $250 economic recovery payments will go to ALL persons receiving Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits beginning in early May 2009 and continuing throughout the month. No action is required to get the payment, which will be sent separately from the person’s regular monthly payment.

See: http://www.ssa.gov/pressoffice/pr/recovery-payments-pr.htm

March 30, 2009 at 6:24 pm
(49) Jason says:

Before I comment, I’ll just say that I’m on SSI, and live in an IRA, and I have all my food and clothing provided for me, and still get around $150 a month for entertainment, and I don’t work, so I don’t think what we get for SSI is too bad, although I’m sure it varies.

I think those who are just choosing not to work have no right to demand a large rebate, since they have no taxes to get rebates for anyway.

If someone is trying to work but can’t due to disability, then I think they should get a little more aid, because they can’t help being unable to work, and they have more needs.

Families should also receive more aid, especially if nobody in the family is able to work, or their jobs don’t pay them enough to support the family.

Bottom line in a nutshell is if you can work but choose not to, don’t expect a handout, but it’s good if the government shows compassion to those who are unable to work or make enough to support themselves. After all, what are we supposed to do, let them die?

April 6, 2009 at 11:37 am
(50) Petr H. DJpHbalance says:

I want to thank, “(46)Robert” who wrote a comment on March 29, 2009 at 6:03 pm. Robert I really appreciate the information you added. I was disapointed at the thought of the government not taking care of a small group of individuals on SSI. With the updated information that you wrote, all of the SSI recipients who visit this site will be very happy to hear that news. So once again, THANK-YOU (46)Robert!! It’s people like Robert that makes this counrty he best in the world! Finnaly, cheer-up everyone, better days are ahead. Stay in there!! Petr H.

April 10, 2009 at 1:54 pm
(51) monique says:

Hi there I am on ssi and I truly believe that all persons with ssi should receive the stimulus check hey we are humans also who have to survive and pay bills too, esoecially in NYC. I wish there was more I can say, any way to fight this?

May 12, 2009 at 12:24 pm
(52) Penny says:

I don’t understand this, my son reveived a letter from the S.S. office telling him he’ll get a stimulus check the end of May. I also get S.S. & S.S.I and I also received the same letter.

May 12, 2009 at 1:56 pm
(53) Robert says:

Penny — The letters are about the $250 checks to be sent to SS and SSI recipents during May of 2009.

See:

May 13, 2009 at 6:03 pm
(54) elizabeth clark says:

i live in wva i can’t hardly aford my rent, to keep my car up and i don’t even have enough to help my kids to grad high school. i can’t even marry the man i love cause our ssi will be cut. these stem checks helps alot i would pay my late rent and try to by food or pay elc bill i don’t know witch food or elc

June 1, 2009 at 2:56 pm
(55) marie says:

It is great and fair that anyone on ssi is you have worked and are disabled get that $250.00 but it doesn’t help anyone in california who will lose $77.00 a month from there piteful ssi check, seniors, people with actual work history disabled should be not left without medical health care, no where to live I was born here and people with above issues should be put first before all others

June 23, 2009 at 5:10 pm
(56) Melissa Logan says:

I would like to say something in response to Doyle’s comment. I don’t think he was trying to, not be compassionate by his comment.
I am disabled and receive SSI, and I AM grateful, for being able to receive any money. I paid into the system for 15yrs, but was out of work for 6 before correct diagnoses, so I no longer qualified for SSD. However, I understand that, the money I receive is also being paid by all tax payers.
I don’t feel like I’m entitled, to receive a certain amount of money. I did receive my $250 stimulus check, and I say thank you for it. However, if I hadn’t been eligible, if it had only been for the people paying taxes, I would have totally understood that, as I have in the past. You wouldn’t see me whining over, something I’m not entitled to. Even though, I struggle every month, to make ends meet, and have come very close to ending up on the streets myself. I’m grateful, that I live in a Country, that cares enough to have programs like SSI, rent assistance, food stamp…etc.

August 12, 2009 at 10:19 pm
(57) Kay says:

SSI frankly sucks… I would love to be able to work since it would give me independence and not feel like my hands are tied by the government with all their restrictions. I’m not lazy or nor have been unmotivated to work in the past. But because of my disability I could not keep jobs for long period of times. I always showed up for work on time ,did my job, and often worked overtime and wasn’t fired for laziness or something else, like lack of competency. I’ve been diagnosed with bipolar/schizoaffective which I have had probably since early childhood and it has affected my mental fuctioning to such a degree that even though I would try to work in the past I could not keep a job long term because it incompacitates me. Stressors are factors but I also I have trouble with my memory among other things. I would give anything to be able to go back to school or do something with my life to get off SSI, if anything it has caused more stress for me, since I tend to constantly worry about money ..I also feel pretty isolated alot of times. When I think of the people that grumble about their jobs ,I look at it this way , they should count it a blessing that they can work. I’d trade places with them any day. I don’t really feel like SSI is a program that actually tries to ease the burden of the disabled but adds to the ones they already have. First you are looked down if you are not a “contributing” member of society. But is this how they treat people with cancer, or other illnesses that may affect their livelihood?There is not alot of support for people with disabilities out there even though they say there are, it ISN’T there. On top of that the government doesn’t want to help you but keep you in poverty.I’m all for programs that can help people who are disabled who can work… but if you can’t why are you stigmatized for it. I look at it this way at least I tried. And it wasn’t because I wanted to be in this situation either.

October 14, 2009 at 7:58 pm
(58) John says:

I am on SSI and I received the $250 rebate and the govt seized it to pay student loans. Yay Federal Jerkwads.
I think living on SSI is crazy you get 674 a month max, and food stamps. In most states you get medicaid automatically on SSI, however they act like your doctor and tell you what prescriptions and specialists you can and can’t have. They waste your life by hammering you under mountains of debt with no way to pay, and at the same time, they act like their helping. I understand that help is supposed to be getting in a situation that is beneficial to both parties. SSI isn’t help, its a detriment.
They won’t allow you to work without fear of losing your benefits, they make you report every dollar and adjust your check doing so, and at the same time they try and discourage work. I say we need an increase to $800 a month and the facts are that would just be getting by.
$674 is a joke, you can’t live on that, and people on here struggle more and more as greedy society screws them.
I hate the government and their way of doing business.
Its all a scam. Get an under the table job and make bank if you can do it.

December 8, 2009 at 9:48 pm
(59) Angry says:

Not everyone just “acts out” to recieve a monthly “nut check”. My boyfriend recieves SSI, and gets $674/month. He has some back and leg problems, but has also been diagnosed with parnoid schezophrenia (sorry, don’t know how to spell it) and it isn’t just to get a check. All of this judging people you don’t even know just makes me angry. You might think mental illnesses are a joke, but let me tell you, I live with him, & it is not a joke. We can’t even spend much time in the stores without him looking all around him and getting angry. He gets angry very easily, usually thinking you are attacking him in some way. Tell me how he is supposed to work anywhere like that? He’s tried, & has lost jobs due to it. Let me guess, you think he should just learn to control his temper. Well, sorry, but I just don’t think that can happen. He isn’t abusive or mean, he just can’t handle people very often. And never a lot of people at once.
And $674/month? Seriously? We have a daughter under a year old to take care of. He gets his check the first, & we are broke by the 3rd. And we don’t even have a house! We are having to stay in his dad’s laundry room. He has hospital bills from where his insurance wouldn’t cover what care he needed. And apparently mine isn’t going to cover all of my hospital bills from having our baby. And her soonercare isn’t covering her required doctor visits. People have already told me, “If he can’t work, then you need to get a job.” That’s true, but my boyfriend goes out & tries to do what he can to get us a little extra money for gas to get the doctor and things like that. So I stay home with my daughter. Yeah, I could put her in daycare or something like that… Have you seen how much that costs? I wouldn’t be making any more money. Believe me, I want our own house. Living with his family is stressful & we don’t even have any room. We have a computer (and that’s just so I can finish my school online to be home with my baby), a tv, our bed, and our clothes. Everything else that we have is in storage. All of our furniture, other little things you’d have around your house, & even our daughter’s crib has to be in there. There’s just not enough room here. And we can’t find any houses at all that we could afford.
Think what you want. Call us lazy losers. We try to do what we can. Judge me. But you do not know me. I feel for people in my situation or in worse ones. I even feel for people that are in a better situation, & just can’t make it. If sympathy or empathy were money, we’d all still be poor because of the self-righteous, judgemental people in this world.

December 20, 2009 at 10:09 am
(60) youarenotalone says:

got better chace at being a tertist and being payed off with the payistn,osmba ,… then getting help in the USA-’united satin’s america’ we love our god-satin-money, then the real god of heaven and jesus ,the god on the money is ‘in( satin)god we trust. look at the false idols in the money with the eagle same as hitler, nazis and romans had, and then look at the egyptian pic on the left, fasle idol worshiper,. give what the usa money….need money but not worship….and the middle class good money and ss money ,and richdont care for poor just for themselves, hypocrites….. rich rule the world…..

March 8, 2010 at 8:52 am
(61) renee says:

I was told and read that it depends on the state you live in that determines how much you will get. For example, in california the max for a single SSI is 870 per month. I found this amount on a few cali disability attorny’s websites.

I applied for assistance in Jan, diagnosed with bipolar 2, two years ago and taking five medications that leave me exhausted, headaches, short term memory, stomach pains, nausea, and dont let me get into the emotional part.

I never even thought of applying for SSI, SSD, until my psych was like in January, “Are you on SSI/SSD benefits?”
She was surprised that I wasnt. She told me to apply.

We will see what happens. Im currently receiving 345 of welfare benefits for my daughter only. It may go up to 546. My social case worker sent me a form to have my psy fillout to exempt me from having to participate in CalWorks and receive the full amount for my welfare benefits. Section 8 just upped my rent from 44 to 103 based on me being able to get 546 for me and my child, not just the 345 I get for my daughter only.

I will admit that if I wasnt hustling and doing something on the side I wouldnt be able to make ends meet; although my bills are quite low, totalling 520 per month. I also get 290 in food stamps.

If I wasnt hustling there would be no way I could survive on that amount. I do plan on going back to school(I do have a bachelor’s in social work) but with my current condition its impossible for me to be around people all day. Im quite antisocial as well and get irritated very easily and sometimes have outburst that can be quite embarassing and have people think Im crazy!

I do plan on going back to school so I can get a descent paying job so I wont have to hustle to make ends meet and support my gorgeous and spoiled teenage daughter.

May everyone be blessed and pray to the lord jesus christ to help us get better so we can live full, health, happy, and prosperous lives.

April 2, 2010 at 3:42 am
(62) Fred says:

I must be missing something here.I live in North Dakota and after being denied for SSDI,I finally got a hearing before an ALJ and was awarded my benefits at the hearing,then waited another 3 months to find that my benefits wouldn’t be SSDI,but SSI,because it had been 6 years since I worked so not enough credits anymore fo SSDI.Silly me for hoping I would get better and draining any and all moneies and property I owned to support myself and pay bills,only to find that by doing so,I basically cut my own throat.
But here is the biggie,i got my first check today and it wasn’t 674.00 but 449.50 because apparently SSI keeps the balance ( 224.50 ) because that is what they deduct because I get a food card,huh,I don’t get a food card,but my girlfriend who lives with me does,but dividing that card in half comes no where near 224.50.and since when does SSI deduct the value of the food card,as this is the first I have ever heard of it.
Then they deduct 163.00 prior to 1-2010 for a food card back to when I applied in April 2008.Funny thing is,I or my girlfriend never got any assistance at all untill 11-2008,so I got screwed oout of that 163.00 for 6 months based on their deductions for a food card from my total SSI monthly payment.
The they deduct 2 months SSI because we sold our home,but the very same day,all that money went to purchase another home and I can document this and as I read it,Housing is not counted.
And to top it off,they tell me in their letter to me that I can appeal their decision to an ALJ,huh,I already saw an ALJ.
Am I the only one being screwed like this?.
And am I the only one who has the food card cost deducted from their total SSI payment?.
Thanks for your reponses.

April 6, 2010 at 12:08 pm
(63) Jenn says:

This is to Fred, if you need SSI great however everyone talks about not being able to work and if you cannot I am glad you have this option however, You had monies withheld for a food card from your girlfriend? Why is she getting a food card? Cant see work? Seems weird that both of you cannot work. From reading all the posts several are on food assistance, housing assistance and so forth. Call it what you will but I am tired or working two jobs being a single Mom so that I do not have to receive a food card or reduced rent. I know that their are many of you out there that are disabled BUT I also know that their are just as many of you working the entire system. Fred, Are you not eating 1/2 of the food? If the SSI Administrators did a better job in their screening process of applicants maybe those of you who truly are in need will receive better benefits. I find it so hard to believe that everyone receiving these benefits just cant work. Wishing those honest individuals better fortune and those who should be working a link to their nearest workforce services office.

May 1, 2010 at 4:33 pm
(64) Laura says:

I just got approved for social security benefits-will I receive the $250 rebate?

June 4, 2010 at 5:40 pm
(65) John says:

Laura,

You are a little too late to the party.

I read through a lot of the comments and I am amazed at how some people have this, “Gimme gimme gimme” attitude. I have worked very hard for the past 25 years and unfortunately I am now disabled. Do I want to be disabled – No, I don’t. I would much rather work. But, I am very grateful for the benefits I receive. It’s not the same amount of income as when I worked, but it is better than nothing. To the people that want to complain because they have 3 (or more) children and demand more SSI money or Food Stamps, or whatever – QUIT PROCREATING!!!! In other words, keep your damn legs closed and stop popping out babies like a Pez dispenser!

And yes, Doyle is correct in that he said that people should be grateful to receive SSI. If you receive SSI, it is money that is taken out of the general tax fund which is collected from TAXPAYERS!! So yes, be grateful that you even receive a dime!! Yes, it can be difficult to live on a limited income, but should everyone else have to pay for your choices of having children, high mortgages, etc?? Hell no!! If you receive SSI, you don’t have ANY right to expect to live a lavish or even barely comfortable lifestyle off everyone else’s dime. That’s just life people! Sometimes bad sh*t happens. Go complain to Donald Trump and see if he gives you a dollar.

October 10, 2010 at 10:57 pm
(66) Travis says:

To John ABOVE……. You people need to do your research before running your MOUTH about SSI. Us damn TAX PAYERS dont pay a dime out our JOB TAXES for SSI Drawers. SSI is funded by TAX REVENUES. SSDI which is TAXES they take out our PAY CHECKS. Tax Revenues as in SALES TAX so guess WHAT? All of us that buy stuff in stores FUND SSI and welfare. So SSI people ALSO use SSI funds to pay right back into it when they BUY. Stop being BABYS WORKERS and running your mouth how your tired of paying for SSI people. THEN STOP SHOPPING THEN. It tells you on the Social Security WEBSITE for you that work that can READ that SSDI and SSI are two WAY different PROGRAMS. SSDI is for TAX PAYERS and SSI is not. ITS FUNDED BY TAX REVENUES.

October 11, 2010 at 9:57 pm
(67) Travis says:

Also lets put this all on the table shall we. In general NONE of us EVER pay enough into taxes to EARN what we get retiring. When we retire after 40 or more years of full working terms to retire I hear some can draw almost 4 or more grand a month. The more you payed in the more we get when we retire. Say you had a great job and payed in 1000 a year in taxes. In 40 years thats 40,000 dollars. You retire and guess what. You get 4 grand or more a month retirement RIGHT. Thats 48,000 or more a year back. So do the math MORON WINERS THAT COMPLAIN YOU PAY FOR PEOPLE THAT DONT EARN IT AS YOU SAY. Guess what NONE of us after the first year to year and half EARNED the retirement either. What we payed in all our lives is giving back after on average the first 2 years drawing RETIREMENT. Meaning EVERYONE ELSE WORKING IS PAYING FOR YOU TO SIT ON YOUR ASS DRAWING RETIREMENT YOU DIDNT EARN. Now talk crap about DISABLED PEOPLE. I didnt think so. Use your brains people. At one point None of us earn what we draw.

October 11, 2010 at 11:03 pm
(68) Travis says:

One more thing that I forgot to mention. You know….. tax payers have no room to talk down on people drawing disability. People drawing SSI have it HARD AS HELL. At least SSDI drawers get More funds than SSI. When you draw SSI they are on your ass for everything. If your given 50 bucks for your birthday they expect you to turn in that info so they can REDUCE your next VERY SMALL ALREADY MONTHLY CHECK. So you have to HIDE money or they complain its too much of your income LOL What income? Half a penny to the dollar they give SSI. Thats BULLCRAP. SSI on average is 674 a month now. Next year they WONT raise it either. Thats bullcrap to. If a SSI drawer has a family they dont care and dont raise the funds. If you have kids YOU CANT DRAW INCOME TAX CHECKS on 2 kids like tax payers can. Thats CRAP and not right. STOP!! RIGHT THERE With your thought of…. OF COURSE THEY DIDNT THEY DIDNT PAY INTO TAXES TO EARN THAT. Ummm What so your saying tax payers earned it? NOPE. You know why? On average a good Job you make 12 grand a year. You pay in maybe 1,200 to 1,500 that year in taxes. As long as you made 10,000 or more from that job and have 2 kids to claim you WILL get back a little over 2000 per kid. Over 4000 income tax???? You only payed in 1’200 to 1’500 and got that back and made 2,500 or more extra. You didnt earn that. So paying tax payers that much extra but not giving SSI familiys a dime to help with their kids is flat out BULL CRAP. Also SSI familys have every right to HAVE as many kids they want. Getting SSI with no help with kids like tax payers get help popping kids out is unfair and wrong. What makes workers better than disabled people? NOTHING. The Goverment is corrupted and this FIGHT FOR FREEDOM is BULLCRAP. When your not able to stay a working Goverment Slave you get SSI. You get treated as trash. Wow thats what Soldiers risk there life to fight for?

November 18, 2010 at 11:53 am
(69) Brandy McComb says:

I have recieved SSI for years because of family applying for me because they thought I was incapable of making it in the big, bad world. I live alone, have no transportation, and yes I am a human with a beating heart in my chest. Toward the end of the month I go hungry because the “money” is gone before I get it. I walk the streets alone in search of small things to get me by. I am 35 and have tried to get jobs but with no work experience it is almost impossible. For anybody judging me, I am very intelligent and have a lot to offer this world but it is the world that has a problem with me. Am I angry? Yes. I want out of the quagmire of food stamps and disablity and the havoc it wreaks on my daily existence. I have lived alone for 4 years and refuse to allow the world to beat me. Most of us are not enjoying being the poorest American human beings on the planet. I have done without the barest of essentials and have fallen behind on bills. I feel that everytime I pay a bill I am being robbed of food money at gunpoint. I have been homeless. I have big dreams and aspirations but will never have those fulfilled. SSI is a boring miserable lonely existence with no real reason to get out of bed in the morning.

January 18, 2012 at 7:28 am
(70) raheem says:

i takes good care of my daughter, im the mother & father, im on ssi truth to be told but i did get a rebate like in 2002, now they mean to tell me im not elgible, seems like the gov. up to something, its already a government crisis going on that the gov. r not going to tell ut “why” we suppose to be the small people; they already trying to stop ssi for what reason, huh we dont really wanna know that answer. every year its something new, honestly, look around u, our country i filled with illgal immagrant, thats working with the gov. & right under our noses, & trust me they arent hiding, my opinion this isnt our country no more, its the immagrants, im married to 1 of them, she’s a good wife to me & our child, but listen, like she says as a joke, they can get a job faster than we can & this our own country, smgdh

October 4, 2012 at 4:28 pm
(71) Nick says:

I believe people that receive SSI should file takes because they are the poorest individual that in America.

December 30, 2012 at 5:44 pm
(72) VBobier says:

SSI is Supplemental Security Income and not Social Security, Social Security gets its money from Payroll Taxes, now on SSI(There’s a link below to a description of SSI on the SSA website), that has in some cases two parts, the Federal Part which comes from the same Federal Budget as the money for the US Military comes from and then there’s the SSP or the State Supplemental Payment which does come from state taxes(Sales, Property, Income, etc, but not payroll), now SSP isn’t supplied by all states, some do, most don’t and yes with SSI one doesn’t get any lavish amount, the amount is actually inadequate, in 2013 the SSI payment will be $710.00 per month, if that’s lavish, then some people must think SSI recipients are paid in UK Pound Sterling which is nearly twice the value of the US Dollar, if one needs to finance a replacement car, or clothes washer/dryer or some other appliance one can’t do that since the income is too small, the Liquid Asset Limit of $2000 has been in effect since 1989, this $2,000.00 is the amount one can save and the amount one gets per month, in 2013 the max amount for Savings is $1,133.60 in CA, elsewhere it’s $1,290.00 max, not enough to buy a properly working used car, but if You think that’s bad the it gets worse, one can’t prepare for their own death, the Burial allowance is stuck @ $1,500.00 max(More than that and a grave site is in the SSA’s infinite stupidity a spendable resource, like who would believe that or even want to buy a hole in the ground?) and has been like this since 1972 when SSI was signed into law by then President Richard M. Nixon, ironically a Republican. There have been efforts to raise the Liquid Asset Limit to $10,000.00 and to remove the cap on the Burial allowance, but all have been tabled(killed) in committee by modern Republicans without any up or down vote…

August 28, 2013 at 3:39 am
(73) Roger Rabbit says:

Im very sorry for those on SSI who are truly disabled and not gaming the system like the approximately 25%+ of the SSI recipients I personally know of .But NO one is quaranteed
a life free from want or pain..physical or physchological! And no country Im aware of has the resources to satisfy the amount of entitlement
a certain segment of the US population feels they are owed.Those of you that are literate or able to comprehend television news should realise
that when more money is spent than a country or person has available bankruptcy is the result and the US is well on its way with our political “leaders” buying votes with the taxpayers 0wn money .Be GD glad youre not out on the street.Your alot better off than the other 5.7billion people we share this planet with.
By the way Im also disabled.For the last 40 yrs(since I was 22).I’m recieving 70% disability I EARNED from a Service connected injury .$1400 compensation monthly for the last 20yrs(since my last surgery left me unemployable) for helping protect your sad little lives and right to whine about recieving a subsistence check and free medical care.YOUR WELCOME