1. News & Issues
Robert Longley

VA Can Help Veterans Avoid Foreclosure

By June 25, 2008

The Veterans Administration (VA) is making a special effort to assist veterans who are having trouble making their home mortgage payments.

"VA is reaching out to veterans -- both those who use our home-loan guaranty program and those who don’t take advantage of our guaranties -- to keep people in their homes," said Secretary of Veterans Affairs Dr. James B. Peake in a press release. "I’m proud of our solid record of success in helping veterans and active-duty personnel deal with financial crises."

By beefing up the staff at its regional loan centers, VA can now provide financial counselors to personally offer advice and even work out special financing arrangements to help veterans and active duty personnel with VA-guarantied loans avoid foreclosure.

The VA can work directly with the lenders on the veteran’s behalf to establish repayment plans, forbearance, and loan modifications that can help veterans keep their homes.

To obtain help from a VA financial counselor, veterans can call VA toll-free at 1-877-827-3702 or visit the VA's home loan guaranty program Web site.

Also See:
VA Releases 2008 Veterans Benefits Booklet
Veteran's Suicide Prevention Hotline Begins Operation

Comments

October 22, 2010 at 10:12 pm
(1) karen grilli says:

my father is a vetern and is 83 yrs. old works full time my mother is ill. Wells Fargo morgage co. is his mortage company they are putting his home into foreclosure he tried to work with them no one will work with him what can he do the only thing he wants to do is die in his house so far no one will help he has asked hud and other people who say there is hope what shoud he do?

October 24, 2010 at 1:28 pm
(2) mary says:

the banks say they dont have to cram down principles on VA loans because the loan is guarenteed by the government. so the take the bail out, the take the loan and then they sell the house….can you say win win win for the banks and lose for the veteren. who is gonna make this right…if the government pays my default then i want to then repay them leaving the bank out completerly and as for the 20% not ccovvered…..they can eat it!

October 28, 2010 at 1:42 pm
(3) Debbie Hake says:

I am a disabled veteran. Our loan is now with Bank of America. No matter what we try, they won’t work with us. Why? When I call them (over 15 times this month alone), they tell me that they know we are trying to work it out, but that we have a sale date of December 6th. Obama is not helping with his “foreclosure” assistance. Anyone know what we can do? I am at a loss and getting desparate.

November 3, 2010 at 5:52 pm
(4) melissa says:

my husband is a veteran and we have a loan with wells fargo. no matter what we do they will not help us. they claim that they don’t receive the correct papers or that we make more then we do by atleast 300.00. we tried several other companies and they won’t help either. we are about to lose our home and we have 4 small children ages 8 and under. what are we suppose to do.

November 11, 2010 at 10:35 am
(5) foghorn says:

Please do not bank on the usual VA fluff. they will not be with you and your family crying on the porch crying as corp. America takes away your American dream.we all make our sacrifices with consequences for life.More than hundreds of veterans have been told that we need to adapt overcome and move on. Please take care of each .other or remember the look on your families face because you believe they are there for you.

November 29, 2010 at 4:02 pm
(6) Margaret says:

Sometimes it helps if a mortgage counselor talks to your mortgage company for you. (to find one in your area, try this website http://www.makinghomeaffordable.gov/index.html)
Or if that doesn’t work, having a lawyer call may help.

December 15, 2010 at 2:12 pm
(7) Stanley Stewart says:

I am a Vietman Veteran on disability and in danger of foreclosure. My loan is with Bank of America. It is impossible to communicate with them. We have repeatedly submitted the paperwork to no avail. What options do I have at this point?

December 24, 2010 at 1:56 pm
(8) Janice Hermsen says:

Margaret’s advice is probably the best. Depending on the state in which you reside, you could also ask one of your representatives if they could help.

In Nevada, I’ve heard some people have been helped by both Dean Heller’s and Senator Reid’s offices.

December 29, 2010 at 8:24 pm
(9) JUDY says:

If you have a VA loan and can’t make your payments can the VA garnish your VA disability check or your Military retirement check?

January 12, 2011 at 2:54 pm
(10) Gutz Kleever says:

Susan.. no a veterans disability can not be garnished for any reason at this time.. of course with all the crooks in Washington being on the side of the crooks that could change anytime

February 8, 2011 at 2:34 pm
(11) Texas says:

My husband retired at the worst possible time (May 2009) after 25 years of honorable service. He had to retire due to a medical issue. We also reside in California (one of the highest unemployment & foreclosure states) we bought a house in good faith and was one day looking forward to a nice relaxing retirement. Looking back now at all his deployments and the stress and fear of him never coming home was nothing compared to what we are going through now. Our loan is with BOA. They keep telling us to call the VA, the VA keeps telling us to call BOA. I keep reading that the VA wants to help. That BOA wants to help. No one is helping us or has given me the impression that they want too. We are fortunate that we do have income (just not enough for this house). We are going to be another static and another home on our block for sale. Good luck to everyone.

March 31, 2011 at 8:10 pm
(12) Karin Wedemeyer says:

My husband is a VA veteran and lost his job in 2008 but has been re-employed after 2 years of financial hardship. Bank of America refuses to modify our loan even though we qualify for the HAMP program. In a recent study by Capital Economics, 60% of all houses for sale are going to foreign investors for cash. The bank, rather than modifying the loan of a VA, offers us a short sale where a foreign investor can buy this modest home for pennies to the dollar. My husband has put his life on the line to defend American values-he does not deserve this-nor does any other American family.

April 19, 2011 at 5:17 pm
(13) Dean says:

Don’t expect the VA to help, it’s all bunch of smoke and mirrors. Making home affordable is a joke, the only thing they can do is tell you how many ways you don’t qualify for assistance under Obama’s wonderful plan. I was discharged after I broke my back we’ve been scraping by for the last year. We’ve sold off every thing of value and exhauseted all savings to keep a roof over our heads. The VA determined my injuries were service connected but through their clerical error denied benefits. I’ve come to accept the fact we’ll be homeless in the near future. I given up. Good luck to everyone else.

May 16, 2011 at 1:24 pm
(14) Danielle says:

My husband is a veteran, he owns a house with his brother who is still in the military. we have alot of family problems with his wife who lives in the little house behind ours on the same property. my husband has ptsd, he cant work with other people cause he is alway suspicious of them, he has anxiety attacks alot whitch makes it hard for him to work. we are getting ready to be forclosed on next month. my husband co signed for his brother, he wants to be off the deed, does anyone have any information that could help us. he co signed to help his brother out but all my husband got is aggrivation, stress, and worry that HIS family will be without a home. please if anyone has any info please share it with me!!

May 19, 2011 at 9:25 am
(15) Jason says:

By seeing all of these comments, my assumptions about Obama’s fabulous “save my mortgage” program are confirmed. It was all false promises to get people’s votes. Done like a true politician. Is there anybody at all that has been approved for this? I have been jumping through hoops for my mortgage “companies” (yes plural) for over a year now. I was approved for a temporary modification after 6 months of submitting & re-submitting paperwork. I went to make my 1st payment and found out my mortgage was sold to another servicer. Fine. I had to fill out the paperwork again for the 2nd company. I had to go to foreclosure mediation. There were 2 lawyers, a mediator, myself, my now ex-wife & an “executive” from the mortgage company on the phone. The person on the phone was supposed to be somebody that could make a final decision about my mortgage. That day I was told that I was approved for a temporary modification with their company.
Again, I go to make my first payment and nobody knows the guy on the phone & nobody knows anything about the mediation. 8 moths later (+/-14 months total) after submitting & re-submitting paperwork, I was told that my modification was denied. What the hell?
I was hoping that the VA could help me with my modification, but it doesn’t look like thats going to work. What now???

May 19, 2011 at 11:27 am
(16) Jan says:

I write for examiner.com. I have not heard from many people who have had a good experience. I know of one family in Nevada that received a modification but it took 2 mediations and concessions on their part before they got it.

What I’ve heard is that the banks blame the Treasury Department indicating they don’t make the rules. But the fact is, their underwriting departments have to FOLLOW those rules and it seems it is quite subjective in some cases.

I don’t believe the VA programs available are being implemented because they can’t find investors to fund them. If your modification was denied, try appealing. One family I know did get the appeal overturned. Write to your Attorney General. All 50 attorneys general are reviewing the banks for fraud, etc. But they need the real people’s stories to determine the truth.

I wish you the best of luck.

December 21, 2011 at 3:08 am
(17) Jay says:

Wells Fargo has continuously refused to work with me. I am a disabled vet and with my disability plus my wifes income we were able to make our payments. my wife recently lost her job and has been in and out of the hospital for the past several months. Wells Fargo constantly asks for paperwork we have already provided, in fact the last time they asked for the same paperwork again my wife and I went into the local banking office, sat down with the branch manager had him contact the mortgage representative, verify that the paper work was all there and correct and verify that the fax was sent and received. two weeks later the same representative called once again requesting the same paper work that he had already verified receiving. the next week my wife was put back into the hospital, had several procedures and a surgery and when we arrived home from the hospital we received a notice from wells fargo that we were being put into foreclosure because neither my wife nor myself were willing to contact or work with the representatives. I am now playing phone tag with both the VA rep and the Wells Fargo rep as well as the foreclosure attorneys trying to keep from becoming homeless

December 21, 2011 at 12:03 pm
(18) Janice Hermsen says:

@ Jay- I am not a lawyer, nor can I provide legal advice but I know a lot of people have appealed to the attorney general in their states with some success.

You don’t mention in which state your reside but I would also suggest going to one of the non-profit organizations that assist with the HAMP program. There is no charge for their services. Act quickly because the law will not wait.

March 9, 2012 at 12:00 am
(19) Brad says:

I am a unemployed and on unemployment, the TSA has denied me work as a TSO due to service connected disabilities. I am a disabled veteran with just enough money to keep making my house payment. I have tried refinancing and am told my income is too low to refinance. In the past year, I have moved out of the home and rented it for half the mortgage payment. I am currently living for free in a RV park as a work camper. 1 April will be the first month I miss a house payment.

March 12, 2012 at 11:25 am
(20) david burns says:

I am a veteran,My country has abandoned me, My state has abandoned me, I have given away most of my animals, sold everything of value,i do not apply for aid or help because of one stupid loop hole after another. I have stopped paying my mortgage, cause I cant afford it. The goverment bailed out everyone but the common man. the filthy rich dont care, the banks dont care, Fuk them all! go down fighting with the taste of blood in your mouth! dont just sit there and take it.

March 12, 2012 at 11:45 am
(21) Jan says:

Hi David:

In what state do you reside?

March 17, 2012 at 12:50 pm
(22) Bryon says:

I am a disabled Vet of 80 percent. It is not that I don’t make enough money through my disability, but we just can’t get caught up on our mortgage. I am 7 months behind and using my Tax return to pay myself up to 4 months behind–but I am still in danger of foreclosure. I am unemployed due to my mental disability. I have tried a loan modification, but failed to keep up with it due to unemployment and other emergency issues. I have asked for another modification through Flag Star, but am told since I failed one modification, the chances of another is grim. My credit score is in the 500s due to being unable to pay for varies credit obligations due to my unemployment and shifting these payments toward more important things like the mortgage and electricity. I have tried the Making Homes Affordable but didn’t qualify for various reasons. I feel like the VA is my only hope for convincing my mortgage company to take my late payments and add it to the end of my mortgage so I will be caught up and not in danger of a foreclosure.

March 17, 2012 at 1:55 pm
(23) Janice says:

Bryon: Is your home loan a VA loan? Do you use the VA for health care? If you do, you may have a social worker that you can consult. If you don’t, you probably could go to your local VA and sign up.

They probably won’t be able to help you directly, but they should be able to direct you to the right person. AMVETS is another option. I hope this helps. Even if they tell you you may not get a modification, apply. Also, what state are you in?

March 19, 2012 at 1:07 pm
(24) Melissa says:

My dad is a Veteran of the United States Air force. He is 69 years old and he has numerous medical problems including Dementia and Parkensons. He worked over 30 years in the steel mills and when they were bought out he lost his job and lost most of his pension he had worked so hard for. My parents have struggled ever since. The medicare system does not even begin to cover their medical bills so they pay nearly $500 a month extra just for a supplemental insurance. Now they are being foreclosed on because they couldn’t keep up on their mortgage. Bank of America will not work with them. Is there any place they can go to get help? They have so much stress in their lives with all the illness’ that I know loosing their home will just be the end of them. This is how we treat our veterans and our elderly? What a shame!!

March 23, 2012 at 3:42 pm
(25) Thad says:

I have a feeling that I’m going to end up like most of these folks. I just retired from the military and can’t afford payments on my house. I would like to thank all the crooked banks and real estate speculators for destroying the housing market. My house is worth less then I owe.

March 23, 2012 at 11:17 pm
(26) Janice says:

For everyone that is asking for help, if you can leave the state you are in, I may be able to direct you to help.

April 19, 2012 at 11:28 pm
(27) Hector says:

I live in illinois now at my inlaws because I get treated at hines va hospital for ptsd and other injuries my home is in indiana and i am about 4 months behind i tried paying them 2 months and they returned it can anyone help or give me any advice I dont want to loose my home, my morth=gage is with bank of america please email me at marn1981@aol.com

April 20, 2012 at 7:12 pm
(28) david retired army says:

dont give up your home,and if u do then destroy the dam house so they (banks)cant sell it

May 22, 2012 at 12:37 am
(29) Jackie says:

I am a disabled veteran and federal employee. I fell behind on my mortgage because of medical issues. I applied for a loan modification last Nov 11 and even though I checked in weekly with my loan preservation specialist, a month ago I was called and told I had to resubmit all the paperwork because everything was “old” now. I was really frustrated and angry and vented with the VA and my loan preservation specialist. He was very empathetic and between he and his supervisor, the new paperwork was escalated and today about 3 weeks after resubmitting I got a call today that my loan modification was approved. What a relief! Keep praying, let go, let God and move out of the way! Good luck everyone!

June 3, 2012 at 7:06 pm
(30) Rob says:

The paperwork excuse by these Mortgage Companies seems to be nationwide. The program is a joke or another promise that the banks have found away around this motification Relief. The facts are these Mortgage companies are taking money from the government and screwing the Servicemen,Women and Veterans. We started this process in Dec 2011 and are still being told that they haven’t received a complete packet yet. When, we ask what is missing they seem to find the paperwork in the packet and then find another excuse. This is why this hasn’t been processed. It’s a way around helping us with our payment issue. I would just rather be told that we don’t qualify or they can’t help us. We are the best this country has and most of us are able to take the truth. Stop blowing smoke and either help us or be honest with those who you can’t help. Also, the government needs to watch over this program with the VA.

June 21, 2012 at 11:34 pm
(31) eupher11 says:

i can’t believe what i have read. it is like someone has taken the words out of my mouth and posted them here. i live in virginia and go to the hunter holmes mcquire va center in richmond, 83 miles from my house 2-3 times a week. i just spent three weeks in there for kidney failure due to drug interactions on medicines they gave me. in febuary i had gall bladder surgery as well as the removal of 17 stones from dehydration.

i am now 5 months back on my mortgage and i have a disabled cousin that stays with me.i have received the same answers as i have seen here. i am at my wits end as i am now on my third appeal for disability both ssdi and va. my medications prevent me from working and was told this week that they may pull my dl because of it. i cannot work and the only income i now have is the travel pay from va appointments and noone, esp. the va will help with the mortgage because im waiting on disability and cant work. i was even turned down at mcdonalds, several times. it takes everything i have not to swallow a bullet. im out of savings,unemployment and have hawked everything of value. i pray to god, but i just think he is way too busy with all our young troopers who need him more right now. god bless those young men and women. my heart goes out to them and their families. good luck everyone. i have a special place in my heart for all veterans regardless of service or war.

June 25, 2012 at 3:04 pm
(32) Ed says:

I have been made physically sick of the stories I have read here today. To think that men and women who swore an oath to defend this country with ther lives can be treated in such a manner is beyond reckoning. I too was faced with forecloseure twice, thanks be to our GOD he rescued me with a 401k and an annuity. I served 8 years in the Marines and now that we need our countries aid they abanded us when we need them the most. I will pray for all of my comrades in arms and there family’s that the Lord will find a way to rescue you and finally put an end to the thievery going on in the white house,congress and senate. Semper Fi

August 2, 2012 at 1:50 pm
(33) Felicia says:

My husband is a disabled veteran and gets montyly checks from social security. We do not want to lose our home. We have faxed Wells Fargo papers upon paper to no avail. How can I find help thru the VA? We were served with a complaint but no foreclosure sale date has been set. I need help….

August 12, 2012 at 8:43 pm
(34) Stop Foreclosure says:

I wonder if banks are betting on things changing after the
election? If Wall Street is right then things might turn for the better and they’ll be a lot less of a need for Short sales.

August 18, 2012 at 5:11 pm
(35) no hope says:

Virginia, husband USMC Veteran, GI bill doesn’t come regularly, we work & have a VA loan – mortgage co Coldwell Banker PHH – have screwed us around for 5 months on a loan mod just to find out the case manager never put thru our paperwork .. goin to lawyer for foreclosure proceedings. We have no where else to go. Were going to be homeless! I’ve been on my job 12 years, we’re not some slacker ass losers who don’t pay our bills. We’re struggling to survive due to VA failures to get the payments my husband earned, to us on time … please if anyone can tell us what else to do!

August 22, 2012 at 12:31 am
(36) Amy says:

Wow I can’t believe that Wells Fargo has been mentioned here so many times and all along they made it sound like I was the one that wasnt submitting the required paperwork on time! I’ve been through two modification reviews. The first one took them 6 months from the moment I sent in my first of 4 sets of updated paperwork (bc they kept saying that it was out of date by the time they looked at it) to deny me and the 2nd took them 3 months to deny me due to them using student loans that are currently deferred and only using a percentage of our rentals as income! We had a deficit of $300 because they used those two things. I work 3 jobs and my husband has a good paying job too but we he didn’t for a whole year after separating from the military in 2008 and we weren’t ever able to catch up on our payments. It’s so embarrassing and I can’t see a way out. Our sale date is Oct. 2nd. Since the 2nd denial, I have moved to another city and started a new teaching job so that we aren’t left homeless. My husband is staying in the house until he has to move. We can actually request another review for modification but are wondering whether it’s worth it since it seems they’re trying to do anything to not approve us anyway. We have several people interested in leasing the house for more than our mortgage payment but are worried that we won’t get approved again and then the house will be foreclosed on. Has anyone tried renting their property out and then going into a modification review? We don’t want a foreclosure on our credit BUT we are running out of options. We had a VA rep call us to let us know that they can help but only said she could review what we had sent in to the bank. Anyone have any answers for us? Please help!

October 21, 2012 at 11:28 am
(37) Aymee says:

I have worked for 2 major banks in Loss mitigation dept helping people stay in their homes Basically your debt to income ratio matters and if they see you will again fall behind on your mortgage they will not help you to begin with. Basically your faxes and mail get misplaced or lost because your sending this info to people who share these machines papers are then picked up and misplaced.. its sad but I don’t ever remember the banks approving a modification they try for FB plans or a short sale never a modification..

October 29, 2012 at 10:43 am
(38) RGS says:

Wells Fargo…………….. HA !!!!!! They get bailed out by the government and then turn around
and foreclose on people that need help …… I’m loosing faith in my country!!!!!!
I’m a Viet nam veteran , 80 % disabled.
I have PTSD, issamitic heart, a brain tumor, blocked arteries and at times can’t make a decisions ….. I make wrong decisions ….. Can’t considerate on much.. I don’t know why !!!!!!
I am behind on my mortgage payments and I have to leave my house of 25 years by Dec 2 nd this year. 2012……… 5 more weeks .. I tried to start throwing stuff away…. it’s hard …. I’m always tired..
my wife left me fives years ago for an old boyfriend from college after 38 years of marraige . I took it very hard ,but feel a little better now. NOW , I have to move ……….I don’t know what to do !!!! I have to get rid of a lot of stuff… MY STUFF ! …
I made a lot of mistakes in my life… and I take responsiilty for them , but
Hey…………… How about a little break…. a little understanding ….some help …… I don’t mention it much ,but GEES I fought for this country … I Wells Fargo could care less what I did .. FOR THEM !!!…………. What a laugh.
I put my life on line ….. It’s seems like no body could give a shit less………
I called up the VA help line and am going to meet a counselor today / tomorrow………… Whatever …………
Take care …………. God bless…………..
I know that I’m not alone here .there are many of us with a similar house problem .. God bless you my brothers ………..
RGS

November 8, 2012 at 1:51 pm
(39) Pat says:

I Joined the Air Force 7FEB2001 and got out due to an injury on 30Jun2010 I filed for my disability and I am still waiting, its been over 2 years. I haven’t made a payment on my home in 18 months and the foreclosure could start any day. All I want is mt Compensation so I can pay back what I owe and stay in my home and start makeing my payments.

I haven’t worked due to my injury since my discharge. I cant find anyone to help me because its a FHA loan. I have two kids and no family. My life is a nightmare and most days I think I would be better of dead…

Why is it the Govt will help the bankers by bailing them out for 16 trillion dollars but a disabled vet who is waiting for his disability from the VA is a 4th rate citizen who is nothing but a burden.

November 29, 2012 at 12:47 pm
(40) Ray Finch says:

Everyone who is having problems with their Mortgage company please email me. I am aveteran who has gone through the same exact thing. I would like to try to help each of you and I have found some ways to do it. I am not in a business I am actually still a member of the military waiting for a medical discharge. There are avenues to help and I have been fighting this fight for a long time. Please feel free to email me and I will also give you my cell number.

December 5, 2012 at 9:21 pm
(41) Michelle says:

Hello! I am a Disabled Veteran who lost my house and had to go bankrupt. The loan officer and notarizer decieved me. I had a terrible loan where I payed $500 more a month then I was told and everytime I made my payment of $1,800.00 I owed the bank an additional $500. I have bounced around from on unsafe apartment to the next since I lost my home. I want to help other Veterans, but I need to get the proper information. We Veterans are supposed to get an additional $116,000 but everyone I call doesn;t know anything and I don’t know where to go.

December 5, 2012 at 9:24 pm
(42) Michelle says:

Ray Finch how do I contact you! I am a Disabled Veteran who lost my home and had to go bankrupt. Can you help me so I can help other Veterans and myself. Thank you!!!

December 5, 2012 at 9:42 pm
(43) Michelle says:

Ray Finch how do I contact you? Please help!!! Thank you!!!

December 8, 2012 at 11:18 am
(44) Sgt. Mark Langgle retired Army says:

My wife and I have our financed our home through GMAC mortgage. We have been through a nitemare with GMAC. We had a loan motification done on our home while I was still in the Army National Guard. I was activated on state emergency orders and I asked for 15 days to pay my mortagage late. I did not get paid from my government contractor job. I had a loss in wages. The bank GMAC mortgage agreed to take to late the payment.A GMAC mortgage representative continued to call me while I was on orders. I told them to call my wife. My captain told me to get rid of the phone, I threw the phone in a snow bank. I tried to pay the late payment, the bank wanted a 2200 per month payment, than a 1800 payment, than a 1400 putting us into a downward spiral of foreclosurer. Our normal house payment was only 1100 per month. They always added late payments, more money than we owed. The mortgage company GMAC kept us in foreclosurer with no solution. Other than to reapply for loan motification, for one year we tried. We were turned down every time for a loan motification. We could not afford the higher and higher payments. We had to keep re-adjusting our budget. We were getting further behind on our other bills. They ruined our credit.They caused us to not be able to get another car. We had to pay cash for everything My wife had a stroke as she could not take any more stress from the mortgage company. All’s we ever wanted to do was pay our mortgage and have the American dream of owing our own home. Why is it that we can fight overseas for America but we cannot fight for our homes here in America to save our homes?

December 17, 2012 at 10:03 am
(45) Rob says:

I’m a disabled VN veteran and a senior.
My wife left me (After 38 years) for an old college boy friend 6 years ago
I kept our house and tried to keep up with the Mortgage, but eventually
couldn’t pay that and all the other bills.
The bank (YES ! , Wells Fargo) started to foreclose …
I went to the VA for help…………………. BS… all they did was refer me to a state agency… I could have and DID fine that on the internet.
They told me at the VA that I make a substantial amount of money .
Sooooooooooooooooo, if your middle class………. bad credit (as I have )
But you have a sufficient income ………….. But you still need help.
BULL SHIT ………..
Don’t count on the VA to help you……………………
Just a bunch of talk ……………………..
I had to file for Chapter 13 to save my house…. Have a merry Christmas…………
God Bless
RS

January 17, 2013 at 9:13 pm
(46) SMB says:

I lost my home about 4 years back. The VA didn’t and wouldn’t help at all when dealing with Wells Fargo who after 35 calls still wouldn’t help. Then I heard the VA would buy a home and then work with the borrower. We called the VA they said no we wont. Guess what? In a few months when we were foreclosed on the VA bought the home, maxed out my loan and left me in a big pile of doo doo. Thanks VA.

January 26, 2013 at 12:57 pm
(47) fb says:

Why won’t you post my comment?

January 26, 2013 at 1:04 pm
(48) JJ says:

I have tried to post a comment but your service would not let me.
How is that helping veterans who want to know WHY the
VA is really NOT trying to help them?

February 17, 2013 at 8:47 pm
(49) Brenda Short says:

ANYONE W/PENDING VA LOAN FORECLOSURE NEEDS TO DEMAND THAT THEY GET SERVICING FROM VA’S SPECIAL MORTGAGE COMPANY! IT USE TO BE OCWEN MORTGAGE I BELIEVE. I WENT THROUGH A VA FORECLOSURE W/MY VETERAN AND FOUND IT OUT AFTER NUMEROUS DEALINGS ON THE PHONE W/DUMBASSES, AN OLDER LOAN OFFICER TOLD ME AFTER THE FACT BC I NEVER HAD THE FORTUNE TO GET HIM ON THE LINE. THE DIR. A MR. LONG AND I DISCUSSED WHAT STOP AND OTHER ORGANIZATIONS WERE DOING MISDIRECTING VETS/FAMILIES. ONE LOAN OFFICER AFTER THE FACT WHEN I WAS ASKING FOR FORGIVENESS OF THE DEBT; HE WAS EVENTUALLY DETERMINED TO BE 100% SAID REASON VA WASN’T COMING AFTER VETERAN FOR LOAN WAS BECAUSE HE DIDN’T EVEN QUALIFY FOR THE LOAN TO BEGIN WITH BECAUSE OF HIS INCOME. BLESS HIM BECAUSE AFTER YRS HOMELESS HE TOOK HIS SETTLEMENT FROM VA AND PUT IT ALL ON AN OPTION TO BUY WHICH IS ALL LOST NOW AFTER 6YRS OF MAKING PAYMENTS THE SO CALLED COMPANY/OWNER IS NOW IN FORECLOSURE. GETTING ANY HELP IS AS BAD AS IT WAS IN 2001 FROM ANYONE. GOD BLESS ALL VETERANS AND THEIR FAMILIES. I WILL CONTINUE OWN MY OWN TO STOP SUCH AUTROCITIES TO THOSE THAT TRULY DESERVE TO BE PROTECTED AS A SPECIAL CLASS IN THE US OF AMERICA. I AM GATHERING DATA FOR AmVETS IF YOU’D LIKE TO SHARE PLS CONTACT ME AT BBAILEY1@COX.NET. IT WILL BE PRESENTED TO VARIOUS LEGISLATORS TO HELP THEM IN THEIR DECISION TO SPONSOR THE AMENDMENT.

March 26, 2013 at 9:29 am
(50) David Wilson says:

Here is your answer ,Why isnt someone helping me ? The answer is because your bank does not own your property? thats why they are paying millions to your government to cover this up. Your bank bundled your loan with other mortages and sold them on the new york stock exchange.According to scc rules your loan does not exist thats why the can not produce a title to your property. Problem is the federal courts are letting lawyers file false documents with the courts to forclose on property they no longer own. Stand up and fight ,stay in your home.get on line and read unlawful forclosures!

April 22, 2013 at 2:09 pm
(51) Robert says:

Loosing my house ………………VA helping you …what a joke !!!

I tried the VA ………… They said that I make to much money . Maybe to much money compared to a bum….
They should have checked my bills that I have to pay every month.
So, you have to be real poor…poor …have excellent credit ……. to even talk to anyone …….
I’ve been there (VA) done that .
She gave me a number to call in my state Government .(Could have got that on internet ) .
VA help ……………. NO ..A BIG NO …
Top it off, Wells Fargo my lender is one of the banks that the government bailed out ………. So, the bank gets money from the Government and then is going to make money taking my house and selling it …
Ask the bank for help……….. They don’t even want to talk to you ..
So, here I am ……………
Good luck …………
RGS

May 24, 2013 at 7:24 pm
(52) Gary says:

The VA is not going to help you keep your home. You are a fool to think that. I fell for it too. I thought it was just Bank of America.
Then I realized, after speaking to “senior loan officers” like Ashley at the St. Paul Regional Loan Center and all her false promises, accusations and lies that it’s a total scam and the VA is in on it too.
You’ve been had. You fought, killed, maimed, you suffered all the battles on land, sea and the air, perhaps suffer the conflicts in your head for a nation and a people that cares not for you other than lip service and a holiday of hot dogs, BBQ and shopping.
You think they care if you’re homeless too? LOL, yeah right.
The VA will get right on that…after they poison you with their medical care, screw you out of your benefits and use your next generations as cannon fodder.
Best thing you can do now is regroup, realize who the real enemy is and deal with that.
If you are behind on your mortgage and cannot catch up, then prepare to either abandon your home at your best opportunity or be foreclosed on in the normal process the robber barons have set up for themselves.
Live it, learn it and love it. You are just on for the ride.

June 6, 2013 at 10:25 pm
(53) Phoenix says:

I just read all the comments posted here and I feel sick to my stomach with anxiety and sadness for everyone.

I am in the same position as the rest of you. I am a single, disabled, female vet – waiting on VA Disability and SSDI and surgery at the VAMC. Of course, unemployed and am told I’m unemployable because of my disabilities and the fact that I’m waiting on a major surgery. I keep trying to find a job, though… what else can I do?

Trying to get medical and unemployment forbearance, have spoken to VA (Ha!), have met with and emailed back and forth with HUD-certified counselor (who hasn’t helped at all), wrote to my congressmen and they are trying to help(?), have supplied all paperwork to the bank, waiting for the other shoe to drop. I have no income, no savings, no retirement, no 401k, no anything. I sell my plasma twice a week, just to get food and gas (thank God I have a really tiny car, and it has 300k miles on it! Go Honda!).

I am frightened out of my mind about what is going to happen once they foreclose on me. I don’t mean to be pessimistic, but after all I’ve read here, I don’t see the bank doing me any favors either. I’m just waiting for the othershoe to drop. What have the rest of you done after you were forced to leave your homes? Especially those of you with no money at all? My only thought is to get a tent and find a place that’s not checked regularly somewhere up in the mountains. I have PTSD and can’t be in close quarters with people — the sounds, the claustrophobia, the threat of danger — some of you may know what I’m talking about. My animals are my family and the only beings that I totally trust. I’m not going to lose them. I know most rental places won’t take pets, probably why I’m thinking of a tent. Probably also to stay away from people.

What did the rest of you wind up doing. For some of you, your posts are now a couple years old… where are you now? What happened?

June 10, 2013 at 7:39 pm
(54) CAMERON FUSS says:

I called the VA and said nothing they could do for me and did not know what i could do. Tryed Hope Now alliance and listened to a 2 hour counseling session and basicially told me to sell my house. I just can not believe that there is not something or someone that can help a war veteran that is retired now and in finacial trouble and is going to lose his home that he has lived in for 20 years. It is a total shame that there is not, and I am very disapointed in the government and the United States of America for which i went into combat, for freedom of the people. Oh well i guess me and my family will be on the street HOMELESS. Thank You for all your help.

June 17, 2013 at 4:43 pm
(55) AMeyers says:

I am at a complete loss, and need HELP!
My hasband is a 36 yr. disabled vet, who has had over 16 surgeries in 12 yrs. 2 years ago he had the 1st of 4 full knee replacements & 9 manipulations. Our Va loan is through Citi mortage, we went to them for a loan modifacation after the 3rd replacement. We had been waiting for Va compencation and he faxed in all the paperwork to the bank for the modifcation. We were told by Citi to not make any payments, because it would cancel out the modifacation. We called them in the beginning every month, and were told that we need to refax paperwork or they needed something else faxed. After 4 months we called weekly, and were told still processing.
We recieved a denal letter and a request for 32,000 to keep our home, and told we could not refinance because our property had lost half its value. We can’t find any help, my husbands credit is shot from all of the waiting we are doing with for Va. My husband has been able to keep his GOV job, but we are still struggling. And the bank has set a auction date for the end of July

July 2, 2013 at 5:06 pm
(56) tony says:

Would you believe th the Veterans Administration approved the home loan for 220,000 and the home is only worth as the County assessor says 160 000 . Over $17,000 worth of damages and I get a lawyer to do a breach of contract towards the seller my first attorney took my money and ran the second attorney took my money and sat on as bad as doing nothing the home went into foreclosure and ruins my credit the VA buys the home for 160000 and now is on the market for 120,000 what it bunch of bull. Now I have bad credit again and no home thank God for small favors that it’s just my credit that was ruined..
So where are all the honest attorneys and what is little ledges leaders doing about all these scams with homes.. The best is to rent forget about buying a home . Let that to the wealthy or the liars and the thiefs

August 19, 2013 at 5:51 am
(57) Bryon says:

If you are 80% service connected disabled and unable to work due to your disablility, you can apply to the VA for 100% rating due to unemployability.

September 16, 2013 at 1:07 am
(58) Asia Love says:

Any Veterans effected with loss of VA Home Loan Guarantee, please contact me. I am a writing argument to present to Congress. Billions of dollars were granted for bank bail-outs, and modification funds for civilians. There is absolutely no reason, a veteran should lose benefits earned by protecting their country. No veterans should receive a letter stating, VA suffered a loss, therefore, all or part of your entitlement benefit is no longer available. Your “entitlement” can be re-instated if loss is repaid.

Veterans are required to repay their entitlement to veterans effected by short sales and foreclosures in housing crash. An “entitlement” they’ve fought for, but is given freely to the non-military population. My proposal to Congress will request re-instatement of the lost Home Loan Guarantee funds for veterans.

I can be contacted by email at: myturn12345@icloud.com. I must have all letters/statements NLT 10 November 2013.

November 20, 2013 at 8:34 pm
(59) Stacey says:

My husband is mentally disabled he took out a mortage on house dont remember doing it now house in foreclosure with wellsfargo I didnt sign for loan what can be done .

January 21, 2014 at 6:55 pm
(60) mary b says:

I am having trouble at this very moment . This small town in middleton ma is at this time trying to evict a 83yr. Old man who served his country in the MARINE CORPS. He wants to die in this home . They have a lawyer He lives one. SS. He has one friend me, I could really use some help with this situation and soon !! He hasn’ t been sleeping , I worry every day for him . PLEASE. HELP HIM !

March 17, 2014 at 1:27 pm
(61) Kathy says:

I am very un nerved that veterans are unable to get the assistance they need and deserve. My husband and I were homeless, and NO agency helped us at all…. and now that I do have a home, there is still no assistance to be found. It troubles me that we help people with addictions and who spend time in prison, but for those of us who work hard and do the best we can….nothing is there for us.

April 3, 2014 at 9:19 am
(62) Cheryl says:

The reason you are all not getting help from your bank is because you are not dealing with the bank itself. The banks have what is called a mortgage services, these people are really a COLLECTION AGENCY TRAINED TO SAY THE SAME CRAP TO YOU OVER AND OVER AGAIN. ASKING FOR THE SAME PAPERWORK OVER AND OVER AGAIN.