1. News & Issues

Sometime this year, President Obama will press Congress to approve his national health insurance plan. Obama's plan, perhaps best described in Jacob Hacker’s “Health Care for America” plan has the ambitious and expensive goal of providing affordable health insurance to all Americans through a combination of a new federal “Medicare-like” program and existing employer-provided health plans. How would this plan work? What medical needs will it cover and how much will it cost? Get the answers here.

Also See: Pros and Cons of Nationalized Health Care

Comments

May 8, 2009 at 1:54 am
(1) Grace says:

We have had the most broken and out-dated high cost health care in the world. Even those with insurance can’t afford to get sick because of co-pays and deductables. The only reason Obama won’t go with a government is because of the people that still think ‘insurance’ is our only way? These people are not of the working class that have been ‘HIT’ by a catastrafic disease.
Oh sure all hospitals and doctors want you if you have ‘insurance’ and treat you very well.
They collect what the insurance will pay them gladly then ‘Haunt’ the diseased, deceased ones spouse for the co-pays for the rest of their lifes’. I know, because I am being hunted every day.
Try taking just 20% for a deductable of a hundred thousand dollar bill! Thats $20,000.00 one needs to come up with. This does not include the doctor bill and the Lab bills and Oh the radiation bills!
My husband did die, and I can only say ‘Thank goodness he is not seeing how broke and devasted I am now. It looks like I will lose my home. (Thanks to the stock market) I have been sued, leins are every where, I owe taxes I have no money for. I still owe over $100,000 on all his treatments, then I was in a car accident, and my doctor will not release me to ever work again.
Nothing is fair. We both worked steady jobs for over 40 years and both paid into SS. We had our home paid for but had to borrow against it because the year he died, he had to have 24 hour care and I had to take off to care for him.
We were ‘Cheated’ out of OPERS retirement where they would have at least paid us enough to make the house payment and $600.00 for disibility and free health care.
This because STERS said he worked for them longer? Maybe a month, but he never quit OPERS, his death happened! STERS would pay us nothing per month and to have health care we would have had to pay them. (All this because he wanted to give back his lifelong working knowledge to others)
STERS should not be allowed to get away with what they do.
Had we/he (my deceased spouse) would never have went to work for them making less than a quarter % of what we were used to making.
STERS has ruined and made me miserable and I have to fight bill collectors every day. If ever there should be a state teachers program looked into and sued, fined for what they have put people through it should be STERS.
The only way our Health Care can be fixed is Government run.
Put these no account insurance companies out of business for what they do to hard working people.
I hear everyday how horrible government run insurance is, yet I hear from the other people in those countries and they are laughing at the ‘stupidity’ of Americans that fight against it. They don’t have hospitals hounding them daily for deductables & co-pays for money they don’t have.
Oh we played by the ‘American dream rules for over 43 years’ only for me to end up in devastation and every bit of it is because of health care and we always had insurance.
Government run is the only way it can truly be fixed.
If you allow some insurnce companies to remain they will make it so no hospital or doctor will want to see any one but those on insurance.
Insurance has ruled the States now for a few decades for nothing but ‘Greed’
For goodness sake do something about these credit card thieves.

September 29, 2011 at 10:49 am
(2) jonathan says:

I agree my wife had a infection the doctor wanted her to get a catscan we asked the the them several times if it was covered be the small business insurance plan we had. They said it was. We called the small business insurance plan they said yes we were covered.
She got the Catscan it cost 30,000.00 we did not have and they decided we were not covered after all.

It broke us just like that.

Dose anyone really think any of that was fair?

I was born in England (For the record My father Was 30 year man in the United States air force)
I have seen so called Disastrous National Health Care.
Sorry nothing Disastrous about it. My mother died of cancer and my father stayed in England for the entire time so she could get what he considered Good care. He believed and rightly so that she would not received in this country.

There are certain things we can not trust the private sector to run Are Health care is one.

Unless you rob a bank you are not able to get health care in this country. Not joking You get full coverage in Jail.

November 8, 2011 at 3:07 pm
(3) Julie says:

My husband has diabetes 2 , for years now, I have been looking for insurance to cover him. Alot of them say NO, high risk, others tell me 1,000.00 monthly just for him. Are you serious that is another mortage payment. I really think our government is just killing off surplus to them…thats us.
It comes down to this…. you pay for insurance , that you can’t afford, or YOU DIE!!
If immigrants can come into this country and have health insurance & food stamps etc. Why can’t we get any help with health insurance , after all my husband and I pay every year faithfully to good ole Uncle Sam. Where the Hell is our help?
It gets me pissed , years ago when I needed help with insurance for our children, here I am in jeans and sneakers and a cheap 15.00 stroller for one of our kids. All the women collecting welfare monies, were dressed with all name brand clothes, their kids the same, & with gold jewelry and strollers that cost $200.00 dollars… Go figure… Where is our help….
It’s plain and simple we need to move out of the U.S.A. and go to the other countries that give health insurance. And take all of our monies with us.
Another president full of S…!!!

July 26, 2009 at 10:56 am
(4) Ted says:

I believe every American should have health insurance. If we quit giving our money to other countries, and stop the space program for a few years, maybe we could afford it. We need to take care of America first then help other countries. Space is not the new frontier.

September 29, 2011 at 10:09 am
(5) jonathan says:

Ted I agree with a lot of what you said but Space Program makes More Cash than it spends. It been frozen in the past due to igrance of that little fact.

November 26, 2011 at 2:01 pm
(6) marina s. says:

i think that comment about thinking about the people fist here in the u.s. is the best news i have heard.

August 4, 2009 at 11:47 pm
(7) Cindy says:

If Government runs our health care; we will be worse off then we are now! Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security are BROKE! The elderly will be recieving counseling on how to die peacefully on drugs,if Obamacare goes through. I know this sounds way out there, but check the facts! “The health care bill that Obama proposes has this theme at its core and has in its crosshairs the Baby Boomer engine that is pulling the derailed economy as it takes its final lap toward retirement. In less than two years, Baby Boomers will begin retiring in multitudes, expecting to reclaim the hard earned money they have been paying into Social Security. But this Health Care Bill, HR3200, has other plans for them,” she wrote.

“Those 65 and older will be required to undergo mandatory ‘end of life’ counseling to determine if they are worthy to continue to not only live, but take much needed resources from those who are younger and more worthy to receive them. Counselors will be trained to discuss how to end life sooner, how to decline nutrition and hydration, how to go into hospice, etc.,” she said.

“This will not be done without coercion. For those who have amassed assets enough to take care of themselves in their old age will have these assets confiscated in the name of fiscal responsibility, because by this time, every citizen will be entered into a national database under the guise of improved efficiency. This database will be run by a type of ‘star chamber,’ appointed by the president, that will determine whether or not you deserve the much needed operation your personal doctor thinks you need,” she said.” taken from a WorldNetDaily article entitled DOCTOR’S ORDERS
Obamacare called ‘euthanasia bill’
Critic: ‘Reflects regime worse than China’s one-child policy’

Even if everyone making $75k and higher were to be taxed at 100%, it would not be enough to pay the $1.8 Trillion deficit (thanks Bush and Obama and the Congress’ during their times’ in office)let alone the $1 trillion Health Care Plan put forth by our out of control Congress and President.

August 10, 2009 at 4:30 pm
(8) Charles McMahon says:

To Cindy: please review the actual language of the bill and call your congressman regarding the actual contents of the bill. Your claims are truly outrageous. There is no mandatory end of life plan as you stated. There is no “death panel” as described by Palin. These statements are just to get people riled up. The recent studies by independent analysts have rated the VA system as the best in patient satisfaction and delivery of care for the money expended. Medicare is not broke, most physicians and hospitals would be out of business if Medicare did not pay for the allowed services. The actual costs of delivering care are covered, while private insurance only spends between 65 and 70 cents of every premium dollar on care, the rest is for profit and administrative overhead. Ask the Medicare recipients if they want to give up Medicare, ask the vets if they want the VA to go away, ask the insurance companies how much their CEO made last year (and remember that money would have been spent on care). While you are at it, ask your physician how well and how easily he or she gets paid by the private insurance companies.

August 11, 2009 at 2:11 pm
(9) Paul says:

There is no single payer system in the world that provides better health care than found in the USA. Even the single payer systems within the USA do not function well, like Medicaid, Medicare and the VA system. Why in the world would we try a sure to fail single payer system?

August 12, 2009 at 5:46 pm
(10) Marc says:

For me as a German it is unimaginable to have no health insurance. And a state like the U.S can afford it. Just look how big is your defence budget. It so retarted to compare obama with hitler. This republican campaign reminds me of the third reich its propagandistic and polemic. And I can’t understand the american fear of socialism – to have set up a public health insurence – call it how you want – I call it humanity. At all a bit more redistribution would hurt nobody… all this billionaires and millionaires got more money they and their families could spend in generations – tax them right. So there is trully enough wealth… hopefully the usa will get a grip and change before the next (or the current) economy crises will destroy all the wealth fully. And that means to stop the turbo-capitalism and a change in mentality. I wonder if the U.S got it, if not it will be over with the superpower U.S.A. . I’m quite covinced to see it fall like rome (I don’t want to see this – but the gambling just goes on).

August 20, 2009 at 10:25 pm
(11) Adrienne Kandel says:

I had the good fortune to live in France for 7 years and have my 2 kids there. With French national health insurance, we could go to any doctor or dentist anywhere in the country and just give them our “securite sociale” number, no paperwork. Or we could not go; French doctors make house calls.
I had regular preventative care, with pregnancy tips and birthing lessons. I had my choice of public or private hospitals, all with 100% coverage. To recover from ordinary childbirth I got a week in a comfortable room with helpful staff. For that visit, for premature almost-labor, and for a scarily feverish baby, I just walked into hospitals and stayed. No wait, no bills, just good care and even good food.
I had no lifetime maximum coverage. I could move anywhere or change jobs or get sick and never be denied insurance.
France pays half as much as us for medical care per person ($3601 vs $7490/year). Yet rich or poor, all my French friends and in-laws get quality medical care. Forget the lies about “death panels”: the horror stories happen here, where insurance bureaucrats deny operations and half of foreclosures come from medical bills.
Please, give us a public payer option like French national health insurance.

September 30, 2009 at 6:40 pm
(12) Jay says:

U.S. vs. Canada: Doctors Give Their View
Delicia Honen Yard

President Obama’s initiative to reform the American health care system has stirred vigorous debate about the best way to accomplish the objectives of reining in costs and expanding coverage to the uninsured and underinsured. Some individuals believe the country should emulate Canada and adopt some type of single-payer system of universal coverage. Opponents claim such a system would result in long delays for care. Is this the case? And how do the American and Canadian systems compare with regard to the quality of patient care and the effect on medical practice? To find out, Renal & Urology News interviewed Canadian urologists and nephrologists who have practiced on both sides of the border. Overall, they indicated that although the Canadian model is not perfect, it is a good system in which patients generally receive timely and competent care and physicians have fewer practice hassles compared with their American counterparts.
“I think universal coverage works,” said Hesam Farivar-Mohseni, MD, of Ontario’s Brampton Civic Hospital, a Canadian citizen who spent nearly 11 years in the United States. Following a two-year fellowship at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York, he spent time working in New York and at West Virginia University Hospitals in Morgantown.
Misconceptions on both sides
“Patients in Canada are not being denied anything,” he said. “People in the U.S. think that patients here [in Canada] are waiting outside the hospital, they have no access to the hospital, and they’re dying because this is government-sponsored health care. That’s not true at all. If there’s a serious disease the family doctor calls a specialist and the person is seen right away. If a patient has a kidney stone or something similar, they may wait for eight hours, but that’s true in the States, too. Such patients don’t get seen in the emergency room there right away, either.
“And the funny thing,” he continued, “is that people here think people in the States are dying on the street corner because they have no insurance, and that’s not true, either. They go to a university hospital and get the same treatment that most patients get.”
Dr. Farivar-Mohseni said he believes the Canadian health-care model could be successfully implemented in the United States. “I have no doubt in my mind,” he said. “The good thing about the Canadian system is it’s much cheaper and provides the same quality of health care in general. In the U.S. there are middlemen: You have the insurance companies and the hospitals, which need to make money. Here, only the physician and the pharmacy need to make money. So that’s a totally different attitude, and the cost is definitely lower because there’s no profit there.”
Because Canada’s coverage is not only free but portable, there is no such concept as going out-of-network. “You can go anywhere in the country and should not be denied any treatment by any doctor,” Dr. Farivar-Mohseni said. “You can ask to be referred to a particular doctor or location. For example, if you are from Toronto, you can go to London, Ontario, or to Ottawa if you want. That’s one of the advantages here.”
Despite the disparities in the Canadian and U.S. medical infrastructures, “there’s not much difference between the two systems,” Dr. Farivar-Mohseni said. “We treat the patients exactly the same way—the same medications, the same surgeries, the same instruments.”
Sometimes, fewer options
Still, the medical system in Canada can be more restrictive than in the United States, he said. “Here [in Canada] the government decides that this hospital does this, that hospital does that,” he said. “In the U.S., if you want to do something, and you’re capable of doing it, nobody stops you. And I think that makes things more accessible to the patient.”
Lithotripsy is among the procedures that are more readily available in the United States than in Canada, he noted. In New York State, for example, lithotripters are available in more cities compared with Ontario, and some hospitals that do not have the devices can have mobile lithotripters come to the hospital on certain days, according to Dr. Farivar-Mohseni. “In Ontario, however, patients can undergo lithotripsy in only one of two places throughout the entire province: downtown Toronto or London, Ontario,” he said. “And I think that’s bad for the patient and also bad for the physician, because then you’re only letting certain physicians do [the procedure],” Dr. Farivar-Mohseni said. “That’s, in fact, a major problem.”
In addition, Dr. Farivar-Mohseni, who also is in private practice, said it is not easy in the Canadian system to introduce a new technique or obtain a new technology, such as robotic prostatectomy or brachytherapy for prostate cancer. “You have to go through a lot of hoopla, and eventually the response is, ‘No, we don’t have the money,’ or, ‘We’re not the place to do this. The government says another place has to do it.’”
Patients never see a bill
The major distinction in patient care between the United States and Canada is the fact that Canadians incur no charges for services. Patients never see a bill in this taxpayer-funded system. The Canadian system gives a per-person allotment to each province, and then each province decides how it is going to pay for health care. In Canada, every patient has a family physician who serves as the conduit between all patients and specialists. Rulan Parekh, MD, MS, a nephrologist at the University of Toronto and who formerly worked at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, noted that in Canada, all patients need to be referred to specialists by their family physician. “So everybody has a gatekeeper, and that gatekeeper takes care of them from a general point of view,” said Dr. Parekh, who is on the Editorial Advisory Board of Renal & Urology News. “Canadians are willing to wait to see the specialists and just see their family physician instead. They want to try to do as much as they can with the family physician. As a result, in Canada, you have many more family physicians and fewer consultants. In the States, it’s the opposite.”
Dr. Parekh returned to Canada after 20 years of practicing adult and pediatric nephrology in the United States. Although Dr. Parekh has not been in private practice in either country, she said she can still relate to the obstacles faced by American patients. “I feel that the burden to the patient in dealing with all the health-care bureaucracy in the States is enormous,” she said. “[In Canada], you walk in, you give your health card, and that’s it. Nobody asks you to sign your life away, nobody asks you to make sure you pay for the bill, nobody asks you about co-pays, nobody tells you that your insurance won’t cover this so you have to pay for it. I don’t think Canadians realize how much stress there is in the United States for patients who are really ill.”
Dr. Parekh said she doubts that the Canadian model would translate easily to the United States because of inherent differences between the two systems. “For example, U.S. medical students graduate with a huge burden in loans, so they have to become specialists,” she said. “How else are you going to pay off those loans unless you join a medical field which is procedural based to obtain an adequate income? You have to opt out of Medicare because if you’re in general practice or an internist, you can’t make the money to support your practice with only Medicare patients.” In contrast, most medical students enter family medicine and thus provide general medical care to patients. In Canada, “the reimbursement to family physicians and to specialists may be lower but the fact that you get 100% reimbursement and not a discounted amount allows you to plan your practice,” Dr. Parekh said. “[All] physicians can do very well financially regardless if your clinical practice is procedural based or not.” Reimbursement amounts in Ontario in general seem small because services cost less, particularly without the overhead and markups associated with American medical care, she added. At the same time, however, all types of physicians in Ontario have heavy patient loads because of a shortage of both generalist and specialist physicians.
Another major feature of the Canadian system is the regionalization of medical care. Certain facilities serve as centers of excellence to which patients are referred for particular types of specialty care, she explained. By caring for large numbers of patients with specific medical problems, these centers develop an expertise in certain treatments that might not be possible at smaller centers caring for fewer patients.
Media messages
Canadian-born urologist Joel Teichman, MD, who became a naturalized American citizen, believes people have been getting distorted views of both countries’ health care systems from the media. He described a recent Canadian television ad sponsored by a political action committee. It featured a woman from Ontario who had a rare brain tumor that required her to seek treatment in the United States. According to the commercial, the woman would have died from lack of treatment in Canada. The message: Americans should avoid adopting the Canadian system.
“Meanwhile, the Canadian media offer stories of hardworking, tax-paying Americans who end up requiring some necessary medical treatment that bankrupts them,” Dr. Teichman told Renal & Urology News. “Americans learn to fear our ‘incompetent’ system, and Canadians learn to fear the ‘unfairness’ of the American system.”
Dr. Teichman was an Associate Professor at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio from 1994 to 2003. He moved back to Canada after being unable to resist a recruiting offer in Vancouver, where he is a professor at the University of British Columbia.
Streamlined billing
Dr. Teichman mainly sees patients suffering from kidney stones and interstitial cystitis, but he sees more patients in Canada than in Texas. According to Dr. Teichman, this may be attributable to the fact that there are fewer specialists per capita in Canada than in the United States or that he was not focused on competing for business in the United States. Moreover, in Canada, the much more streamlined billing process helps free up time and resources. “In Texas, my urology group at the university employed multiple billing people full-time to preauthorize insurance claims, file claims, chase down insurance companies for failure to pay, and handle insurance denials,” Dr. Teichman said. “Here in British Columbia, I file all my claims electronically to the province insurer and am reimbursed within two weeks. It occupies five to 10 minutes per day. I employ no billing person.”
Lawsuit paranoia in the U.S.
Dr. Teichman may also be able to see more patients because he does not have to spend as much time conducting elaborate informed-consent discussions. “For my American patients, I spent more time detailing all the potential adverse outcomes for drugs, therapy, or surgery. In Canada, I feel more comfortable telling patients they do not need a certain test than I would have in the U.S. There’s a greater paranoia in American medical practice because of medicolegal ramifications.” Physicians are concerned that “if you fail to dot the I’s and cross the T’s and go absolutely obsessively over every last possible complication, a patient will turn around and say, ‘You failed to give me appropriate informed consent,’ and sue you,” he explained.
As a result, Dr. Teichman said, physicians working in the United States have to spend a lot more time and money than their Canadian counterparts ordering irrelevant and costly tests “merely for the sake of covering themselves.”
Dr. Teichman has a working theory about why some Americans fight the prospect of what seems like a great deal—free health care: “Canada was founded around stability and good governance, and America on principles of individual freedom, liberty, and pursuit of personal happiness,” he said. “An extension of the American sense of liberty is that many Americans distrust government and abhor lack of choice. A single-payer system conjures up the possibility of lack of choice and a heavy-handed, government-run boondoggle. I think most Americans would be surprised to learn that the majority of Canadians receive quality health care from their own physicians and without government intrusion. Some American insurance companies pose much more significant intrusion and interference on patient care, and limits choice, more than exists here in Canada.”
All in all, Dr. Teichman said, “The Canadian system covers everyone quite well, so no one is left behind—but a deluxe model of enhanced health care for purchase is not really available here. I believe the U.S. system is the best health care available anywhere—if you have insurance. Both systems work reasonably well as long as you have access to health care.”
Paucity of primary care docs
Barbara Ballermann, MD, who spent a large part of her career in the United States and who now is the President of the Canadian Society of Nephrology, said she appreciates the peace of mind that Canada’s universal health coverage brings to all constituents. “For Canadian people and physicians, the basic principle that everyone has equal access to health care without worrying about payment is an enormous advantage that cannot be overstated. I believe this could be achieved in the U.S., even without a single-payer system.”
The Canadian system, however, is not without its problems, said Dr. Ballermann, Professor of Medicine at the University of Alberta in Edmonton. One is that the provincial government system basically still pays more for procedure-based and specialty-based medicine than it does for primary care. “So we have a huge shortage of primary-care physicians.”
This is a familiar complaint in the United States as well, where a lack of insurance frequently prevents people from obtaining primary care services. In Canada, the problem stems from the fact that there simply are not enough general practitioners available. Consequently, Dr. Ballermann said, “People without a primary-care physician don’t see anyone for preventive care. When they feel ill, they usually come to the emergency room. Of course, the cost for treatment goes up. So, as in the U.S., access to primary care is not available to everyone.”
In addition, people get put on long waiting lists for primary care. “We’re trying to shrink that wait list,” she said.
Delays in specialized service
Delays also extend to more specialized services, an issue that became personal for Dr. Ballermann when her then 82-year-old father faced a three-year wait for hip replacement surgery. Knowing that the lag time could lead to severe neuromuscular de-generation that would impede her father’s recovery, Dr. Ballermann considered taking her father out of the country where she could pay for faster service. She eventually found a way within the Canadian system to get her father his surgery within six months, but she can understand why small factions of practitioners and patients throughout Canada have lobbied for the right to provide and obtain private health care, even though such actions go against the spirit of the Canada Health Act.
At the University of Alberta, Dr. Ballermann and her colleagues have established a triage system. Patients requiring urgent care might be seen that same day or within a week, and a person with a non-urgent condition might wait up to two months for an appointment. “But you would never wait longer than three months. We have limits built in,” she said.
Another problem with the Canadian system, she said, is that it stifles innovation and removes “some of the incentives to do better.” Compared with Canada, the U. S. provides more opportunity to conduct innovative research, supported by both government and industry. “There’s a greater innovative spirit. It’s just part of the U.S. culture.”

October 6, 2011 at 2:32 pm
(13) kalayna says:

YOU TYPE TO MUCH!

October 26, 2009 at 1:28 pm
(14) John Gregory says:

Health Ins. companies are the enemy. They should not at this point be allowed in the room or be part of a national plan as it is formed. We live in Colorado and were told my wife’s visit to the Mayo clinic was covered by our PPO which ironicly was called “Golden Rule Insurance”. Upon returning, approx. 4600.00 of the visit was challenged, according to them, for testing THEY felt was not needed. The Colorado State Ins. Commission ultimatly sided with the ins. company as they are nothing more than Patsys of the insurance industry! The government should protect the people from this type of behavior. Health care should be a given and not a corporate decision that always has it’s patient’s interests last. Share This!

November 8, 2009 at 10:44 am
(15) Fl resident says:

How much is the gov insurance going to cost each person/family?

December 8, 2009 at 9:09 pm
(16) Rebecca Rice says:

I supported you(Obama) as a candidate. I gave donations for the first time ever and am 55 years old. I support single payer. I am willing to settle for public option. After GWB sent us to Iraq and the Dems supported it I left the Democrat party. I only came back to vote for you in the primary. I will accept nothing less than a strong public option. (Remember that I am settling for that.)I am part of the base that elected you. It is not okay with me that you cater to the republican base. Why do you cater to the party of no? I understand that we as your base need to make you listen. I need to know that you hear us.

January 2, 2010 at 12:55 am
(17) Joseph M. says:

Everyone needs to see the movie Sicko. it’s about our healthcare in America, vs. other developed counrtries. I just couldn’t believe it. it hurt me so much to see the reality of our healthcare system. even my own doctor at Huntington Hospital in Pasadena CA, told me that he himslef was devastated to learn very quickly that it is not healthcare, in America, i’ts Health Maintnance. Doctors only maintain the condition of the Patient. This is the case most if not all of the time. My doctor had tears in his eyes as he told me this.

I’ve been told that my insurance is good. I have Medical. Medical would not pay for any of the test my doctor ordered for me. I had pain in my right leg, it felt like it was on fire, unles I took lots of very serious pain medications such as vicodin, then percocet and these combined with 800 mg of ibuprofrin, and this for four years. Until a friend of mine from college, of years ago, his father is a doctor and helped me and tested me free of charge. he quickly determined that I had an Osteoid Osteoma in my right leg. the pain was unbearable and it took four years of living with it because of Medical Always declining my much needed MRI test and other related test such as Nuclear medicine and Bone Scans. I had surgy within two weeks of my friends father determining what was actually wronge with me. to this day I live in complete trauma and devistation from the experience of hundreds of doctors over the course of four years telling me they couldn’t make the insurance companies pay for me testing, that was needed and required. I don’t know what difference it will make if Our new President succeeds with his Insurance proposal, but I hope not one more person will ever suffer, such that I have, just because of Medical. And to think that millions of American’s don’t even have Medical. Also, just to let you know, I did also go to LA county Medical center, USC + LA county and they said they could not find anything wronge with me. But note they said they could not justify the medical testing that my other doctors had previously recumend. It hurts me even to talk about this. I was bourn and raised in California, but I’ve thought of moving to another counrty where healthcare is a right given for just being alive. But when I think of my grandparents having fought in several wars for freedom and for me to live here in America for free, I think, how could I walk away from this. It’s a very sad story. I hate this decision. I’m sure I’m not the only one facing this reality. When I read of hundreds of thousands of Americans losing their homes because they have become sick and unable to work and now losing their house and savings to medical bills. I say why and how could this be. I pray that America is given the gift of a new and complete healthcare system for all Americans. Unconditional, to say the least.

March 1, 2010 at 9:11 pm
(18) coch06 says:

Alright guys,
Aside from the politics and stats, everyone that has decided in the above comments that obamacare should not be put forward must give your head a shake. The united states of america has there money in so many other unecessary things such as the money being distributed for the US defence program (Thanks Bush). All you republicans are retarded and I have no idea how anyone would every vote for a republican. You guys have no sense of decisions that will cause future problems. Anyone that is stating that there should not be health care, you are not part of the working class, and don’t for one second try to say your not. Only a retarded would say the United States of American should not have health care. For God sakes, you guys are allowed to carry guns around in public. How can you allow people to carry weapons around and not have a health care plan. Once again thank you republicans. You guys should always be a minority and just learn how to observe and not talk.

April 17, 2010 at 5:16 pm
(19) coco says:

I am not able to understand why sme of you said what they said. If you leave a comment, at least you should study and do a fact check, instead of going by what you HEAR or THINK. I did check numorous website, including the White House website. There is FAQ site answering all the things some of you accused of the President and the Health Care Reform. Check it out, and then think before you go hysteric. It is not about what race the President is. It is all about what the plan is. Get it together, America!!! What we enjoy as American benefits, such as Medicare, Medicaid, SSI, etc, were taken the same way yall do now when FDR proposed them. Think America, Think!!!

December 29, 2010 at 4:28 pm
(20) dietmar says:

grace you are right, my wife is american and i’m from germany.
i just keep on working for doc and hospital bills for my wife.
if we would be in germany i have pay nothing, and everyone how tells somthing ealse he is wrrrrrong.
the europans got this systems for 50 years now and it works fine.
employers have to pay, oh god how bad. but for real that what the pay is a wright off of the taxes.
the insurance just pulling peoble over the table.

for all they against it i have to tell, get informed befor you talk about it, don’t go what insurance tell you . they just like to get your money.

January 25, 2011 at 7:13 pm
(21) John says:

As long as republicans run this country then you will pay pay pay. they are for big business and big business is pharmacies and health care and these business’s fund their politicians to keep the cost high for the American people. America is no longer the land of the free it is the land of the greedy thieves who rob the poor and middle class to get rich.

January 31, 2011 at 1:37 pm
(22) Renee says:

I just recently notice something change on my pay stub from work. My employer pays 87% of my medical insurance monthly as a benefit. I am a single mother with 2 children, and this benefit that my employer provides is crutial to my survival. On my pay stub, I have noticed that there now is a tally, if you will, on employer contributions to Medical Insurance. Apparently, I will have to pay taxes on my employers contribution towards my insurance. I am fortunate to have a job, I can not afford any more taxes, and this will send me to the poor house.. I wonder if the government will accept an IOU… This is going to affect many american’s. So, anything that your employer gives to you is no longer a benefit but a liability. Obama’s plan is to week out all employer benefits so we are all forced to go on his plan.. So i will pay taxes for the next 3-4 years to fund this so called launch of Obama health care, without any benefits. You may see me and my children at the food line in the homeless shelter. More taxes

February 17, 2011 at 12:40 pm
(23) rocio says:

I am embarrassed to call my self an American. EVERYONE in the world has better Health Care Service from their Country, they Government ACTUALLY cares about its people. when will OUR Government care about us not our MONEY $$$… Is this what we’ve been become? WALKING MONEY FOR THE GOVERNMENT??Aside from the fact that all the people that come to this country are collecting well fare, cash aid, medical while their husbands are out making money as well and this women sit at home & pop out babies like their factories! I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THIS, IVE BEEN ILL FOR OVER 3 MONTHS & I DON’T KNOW WHAT WRONG WITH ME, I LOST MY JOB, AND GUESS WHAT?? I DON’T HAVE THE MONEY TO GET THE MEDICAL HELP I NEED!!! So i guess I’m going to have to live with my problem till i die, BECAUSE I SWEAR AMERICA WANTS TO KILL US ALL! I shouldn’t have to resort to crossing the damn border to seek medical attention that I know very well it sucks out their!!! what is Obama doing??

February 26, 2011 at 11:32 pm
(24) Warren says:

I have a wife, three children, on social security, and live in a foreign country. I cannot afford to pay a national health insurance premium and take care of my wife and children. We live in Asia and we all have the best health care where we live. Why should I have to pay for something I do not need?

I do not drink alcohol, smoke, eat processed foods, take prescription drugs, take illegal drugs, or live a dangerous life style that can cause injury. I would never travel to the USA or to one of its territories for medical treatment.

I should have the option not to pay a high priced premium for a national health insurance that I do not need or will ever use. Why should I have to pay for people that live dangerously, use harmful prescription drugs, use illegal drugs, smoke, drink alcohol, do not exercise, do not eat healthy diets, and use medical treatment for every little ache in life.

A resent decision by a Florida judge only used a one-sided reason to have a national health program. That reason was that there should not be any medical freeloaders. The flip side is that I should not have to pay for people that live dangerously, use harmful prescription drugs, use illegal drugs, smoke, drink alcohol, do not exercise, do not eat healthy diets, and use medical treatment for every little ache in life.

As usual, the government does not consider every possibility when making blanket acts or policies. I do see that government elected officials and some other government employees have an option not to use the national health insurance program. As a natural born American, who honorably served his country in the US Army and always lived within the law, I demand the right for an option NOT to pay for a national health program that I do not need or will ever use.

February 28, 2011 at 12:59 pm
(25) kym says:

i believe it will be great.

September 14, 2011 at 12:44 pm
(26) Melissa says:

I personally can’t wait for this healthcare program to go into effect. I think of my children who have no healthcare and how this will benefit them.

Those people who are against are either A) Rich enough to pay for their own insurance and for all medical bills and B) They already have insurance of their own so they don’t care about the next person who doesn’t have insurance as long as they themselves do. I call that SELFISH!

July 21, 2012 at 8:25 pm
(27) myrna says:

I dont really think Obama or any one in government reads or cares about us little people, but here it goes. Im a 55 year old female and have worked since the age of 16. I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer three years ago. My insurance was great at covering my surgery, chemo, and radiation treatments.i had a $1500 deductible, $1000 out of pocket and $45 copay but i made it. Needless to say the small company I work for and fellow employees are now paying for it. Our insurance has gone up outragiously. I now have to pay $352 a month $55 co pay and $2000 deductible. Our payrate ranges from $7 to $15 per hour. A few of the employees have dropped their insurance and i am thinking of doing the same. praying my cancer never returns and i will no longer be able to complete drs treatments for the 2 years I have left. someone needs to help others out there that are in worse difficulties than I.

September 7, 2012 at 2:05 pm
(28) JC says:

GA insurance only covers prescriptions and clinic visits. Hospital charity care plan may say 100% but patients have a hard time getting much needed medial procedures done. Left waiting and getting the run around because the procedure they need is expensive. Doctors may have taken an oath, but with things the way they are now, I feel like its becoming more and more about the dollars and less about the patients.

March 22, 2013 at 4:11 pm
(29) W.L. says:

Being forced to buy health ins. or be fined by the government for not having health insurance will absolutely create a financial hardship such that we will be forced to choose between food, rent or utilities because there will not be money for all of them. I am 64 and my wife is 58 and with Obama care all we have to look forward to is being homeless.

April 7, 2013 at 8:15 am
(30) deborah guentherLPN says:

I am a nurse of 30 yrs and really love my patients but get sick of of all these that come in for there monthly hydrocodone, Xanax, Percocet, etc or the one’s that just feel that you should call everything in and them not come into the clinic. And another thing is the weight management, I am for it but I think it needs to be for people that are obese. Also I feel that the doctor orders medications or test he know what he needs, it is not for the ins company to make us do all this unnecessary paperwork, if if is not formulary just on the damn paper you send us telling us that tell us what is covered and save us a lot of time, I waste countless hours on PA’s for medications that did could have been easily managed if this was done. I will not get into Medicaid and Medicare some people can work, just follow them around you will be surprised still smoking and drinking!!!!!! and wants free meds. Maybe this is why you have some bitter medical staff out there, I do have pt that say I am mean and I am sure it is those that I have to tell NO you cant have your pain pills today or you HAVE to come in for an appointment, but guess what the Doc and I work for a living and we are not RICH as many of you think
with this I have seldom used my insurance and why should I have to pay a high premium, I don’t smoke Go back to the old medications that have been around to heck with the new ones that is goning to be so expensive. The ER is for that Emergengies not sore throats, head aches we do need more 24 hour clinics or set one up in the hospital now that is an idea!!!

March 24, 2014 at 12:03 pm
(31) perry a fetcenko says:

try to fill out the on line form , if you are successful god bless. I am a 2year cancer survivor , trying to get my wife some insurance, user friendly??? ha for you not me [ kiss] keep it simple stupid