1. News & Issues
Robert Longley

Obama Freezes Federal Employee Pay

By November 29, 2010

President Obama today recommended a two-year freeze on the pay of all 1.4 million civilian federal employees in a move the White House projects will ultimately save more than $60 billion.

"This two-year (2011 - 2012) pay freeze will save $2 billion for the remainder of FY 2011, $28 billion over the next five years, and more than $60 billion over the next 10 years," states a White House Fact Sheet on the pay freeze.

The freeze, if approved by Congress, will apply to all civilian federal employees, including employees of the Department of Defense, but not to military personnel, and will not impact federal workers' step increases or bonuses, according to the White House.

"This was a decision that was not made lightly," stated the White House. "From the doctors and nurses who care for our veterans to the scientists searching for better treatments and cures, the men and women who care for our national parks, and the thousands who make sure that the Social Security check is in the mail and that students get their scholarships, federal workers serve their fellow Americans."

In September 2009, Obama cut the FY 2010 pay increases scheduled for most federal government employees from as much as 18.9 percent to no more than 2.0 percent. In addition, the salaries of all senior White House officials have been frozen since President Obama took office in 2009.

What About Congress? Members of Congress have already voted - for the second year in row - not to accept their automatic cost-of-living increase for FY 2011. The last time lawmakers accepted the increase -- in 2009 -- their base annual salary went up $174,000, where it will remain at least through 2011.

Also See:
Salaries and Benefits of U.S. Congress Members
The 10 Wealthiest Members of Congress

Follow US Government Info on Facebook and Twitter

Comments

November 30, 2010 at 1:10 am
(1) Lynn T says:

What else is New? I am a retired disabled federal employee. My check has been frozen for the second time now. I can not even remember when it was when we had a pay raise. Oh yeah before Obama was in office. I can tell you one thing though, all of my premiums for my medical insurances have gone up around $60 a month on each medical insurance police including medicare, my prescriptions I have to pay went up, my rent, my utilities, gas for the vehicle, food, car insurance, taxes, etc, but hey, don’t worry about me, I’ll be ok.

March 31, 2011 at 9:19 pm
(2) Linda Wilson says:

Tough S%#t! Welcome to the rest of the world!

December 31, 2010 at 7:00 pm
(3) upset in ca says:

why not gov cut hilary clintons travel trips ??? oh i forgot the clintons are running DC . cut all this welfare to illegal mexicons .etc etc . add tax on this junk made in china imports .

February 27, 2011 at 12:14 am
(4) yogini says:

how about the congressman’s pay being cut from $174,000 per year to the median wage for an American worker? That would save us ALOT of money. Especially since the reality is that the average Congressman’s real salary per year is around $700,000 dollars.

March 31, 2011 at 9:20 pm
(5) Linda Wilson says:

Do tell… How do you figure?

February 27, 2011 at 10:01 am
(6) Sherman J Radford says:

G. Bush & Candice Miller are/have been a major threat to this country. Why invade Iraq???? Answer: to control the oil, did not work after Billions of dollars & over 4,400 American lives.

Bush is out of our lives but Candice Miller is still in, she is worthless!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 1, 2011 at 9:26 am
(7) Roxie says:

I notice that it’s only the average working class person that most of our leaders think of first when it comes to making cuts to save money. I say let’s start at the top cut the Congressmen, Senators etc paychecks first…. makes more since to me than taking it from people on Social Security. Afterall, a 10% pay cut from $174,000 which is supposebly the average yearly pay for these people would not affect them as much as the total loss of $500 to 1800 per month income of retired people. I’d say you would only be making the line for welfare longer.

November 5, 2011 at 2:05 pm
(8) Pam Smith says:

Can we demand they take a cut in pay along with other budget cuts currently being made?

April 23, 2012 at 4:11 pm
(9) Kathy says:

It is amazing, how a decisions is made to free our hard working dollars, however, there is no freeze on insurance and other deductibles that are taken out of our paychecks. I believe a “Year of Jubilee” should be declared and not more taxes for one year. The Goverment does not cut our taxes, but they will cut our PAY

December 28, 2012 at 10:35 am
(10) Lia says:

Is the President going to give up his salary. After all he gets free housing, free transportation, free parking, free house keeping, and he and his family – including his dog are being fed by us – the tax payers. How can he not give the dedicated hard working federal employees a pay increase. We are the middle class – and we are trying to keep our heads above water. Remember he promised to help the middle class – Well????? And, if he wants to save money – how silly to open the entire federal government for 1 day (new years eve) close it done – that will save a little – now wont it.

December 28, 2012 at 11:01 am
(11) Lia says:

Let’s all sign and petition that the congress, senate as well as the president take a pay cut. ONLY FAIR!!!! What is good for the goose – I bet that would hit them where it hurts. If they can do it to us and then they should show they are willing to as well. Lets sign…….

January 16, 2013 at 10:49 pm
(12) Chon Quevedo says:

Many federal retirees are also military service retirees –we were required to give-up part of our Social Security under the “Double Dipper” rule, some of us combined our military retirement time with our civil service time and receive no military retiree pay –it is these retirees who got slammed again, when our medical coverage “TRICARE” based its increases costs for medical services and drugs, based on the Cost Of Living Allowance (COLA) Increases in retirement pay to military retirees – a COLA which federal service retirees do not receive. To Whom can we address this problem?

March 21, 2013 at 3:21 pm
(13) Get Cash For Surveys Reviews says:

When I originally commented I clicked the
“Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now
each time a comment is added I get several emails with the same comment.
Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Thank you!

April 19, 2013 at 8:17 pm
(14) bacalhau com broa says:

Wow! At last I got a blog from where I be able to in fact take useful facts concerning my study and knowledge.

Stop by my web-site bacalhau com broa