1. News & Issues

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:


was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

How to Get Copies of Past Tax Returns
From your U.S. Gov Info/Resources Guide

You can obtain photocopies of actual returns you have filed with the IRS. You'll get a copies of the return itself, all schedules you filed, plus copies of all W-2s.

Difficulty Level: Average    Time Required: 15 Minutes

Here's How:
  1. Obtain and complete an IRS Form 4506. (See Related Features.)
  2. Form 4506 can also be used to order W-2 information only.
  3. There is a $23 fee for each tax year for which copies are requested.
  4. Mail the completed Form 4506 along with payment to the IRS office in your region. (See Related Features for more details.)
  5. It can take up to 60 calendar days to get your copies.


  1. Tax returns filed six or more years ago may not be available for photocopying.
  2. To download an IRS Form 4506, see the Related Feature below.

Related Information:

More How To's from your Guide to U.S. Gov Info/Resources

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.