Here, from the FTC is the truth about cell phones, telemarketers and the Do Not Call Registry:
- Contrary to the email, cell phone numbers are NOT being released to telemarketers, and you will NOT soon be getting telemarketing calls on your cell phone.
- There is NO deadline by which you must register your cell phone number on the National Do Not Call Registry.
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations prohibit telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phone numbers. Automated dialers are standard in the industry, so most telemarketers are barred from calling consumers on their cell phones without their consent.
- The national associations representing telemarketers have stated that their members do not intend to start calling consumers’ cell phones.
- There is only ONE National Do Not Call Registry. There is no separate registry for cell phones.
- The Do Not Call Registry does accept registrations from both cell phones and land lines. You must call from the phone number that you want to register. If you register online, you must respond to a confirmation e-mail.
- While the telecommunications industry has been discussing the possibility of creating a wireless 411 directory, according to the FCC, even if a wireless 411 directory is established, most telemarketing calls to cell phones would still be illegal, regardless of whether the number is listed on the federal government’s Do Not Call Registry.
More About that 411 Cell Directory
Your cell number will not be included in a wireless 411 directory unless you want it to be (i.e., you will have to "opt-in"); and the wireless 411 directory would not be available in a printed, electronic, or Internet list for telemarketers. In other words, a list of numbers on the wireless 411 directory would not be made available to telemarketers.
For more information on the proposed wireless 411 directory, see Sorting Fact From Fiction On the Wireless 411 Service from TransUnion.
Finally, the DNC is free
Finally, remember that there is absolutely no charge to register any or all of your phone numbers on the National Do Not Call Registry.
Consumers who want to be included on the Do Not Call Registry must call 1-888-382-1222 from their own phone or sign up online at the official Do Not Call Registry Web site. To sign up online, a valid e-mail address is required. There is no cost to register either via phone or on the Internet.