1. News & Issues
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Does Your Small Business Need a Federal Business License?


Fish and Wildlife
Businesses and organizations engaged in any wildlife related activity, including the import/export of wildlife and related products, must obtain an appropriate permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife service.
Fish and Wildlife Permits
Resources, forms, tools, and guides concerning federal fish and wildlife permits.

Fish and Wildlife Import-Export Permit Issuing Offices
Regional FWS Permit Office addresses.
Commercial Fishing and Fisheries
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) regulates the interaction between marine mammals and commercial fisheries by issuing permits for fishing activities that would otherwise be prohibited by law. Commercial fishermen, recreational sportfishing guides and captains of commercial sportfishing boats need to check out the resources below.
NOAA Fisheries Forms Portal
Electronic versions of many NOAA Fisheries forms.

National Marine Fisheries Service Permit Shop
Purchase permits for Atlantic tunas, fishing tournaments, update permit information, and report recreational landings of bluefin tuna.

Office of Protected Resources, Permits and Authorizations
Permits and authorizations are required under the Endangered Species Act (ESA) and the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) to conduct activities that may result in the "taking" of a protected species.

Authorizations and Permits for Protected Species (APPS)
NOAA Fisheries permits and authorizations for federally-protected species under the Endangered Species Act (ESA) and Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA).

Groundfish Federal Fisheries Permits
Permits and fishing authorizations issued by the Northwest Region for fisheries affecting west coast groundfish.

High Seas Fishing Permits
High Seas Fishing Act compliance and permit information.

Antarctic Marine Living Resource Trade Permits
Information on Catch Documentation Scheme (CDS) permits.
Maritime Transportation
Ocean Transportation Intermediary Licenses
General description of the Office of Transportation Intermediaries with appropriate contact information.
Mining and Drilling
The Minerals Management Service (MMS), a bureau in the U.S. Department of the Interior, is the federal agency that manages the nation's natural gas, oil and other mineral resources on the outer continental shelf. Businesses involved in the drilling for natural gas, oil or other mineral resources on federal lands may be required to obtain a drilling permit from MMS.
eWell Permitting and Reporting System
Online application for permit to drill in the Gulf of Mexico.

Geological and Geophysical Exploration Permits
How to apply for a permit to conduct geological or geophysical exploration on the Pacific Outer Continental Shelf.
Nuclear Energy
The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission licenses commercial nuclear reactors and fuel cycle facilities; distribution of nuclear materials; and nuclear waste disposal facilities.
Nuclear Regulatory Commission Licensing
Provides NRC applicants and licensees with the rules and regulations governing the assessment and collection of fees, and forms used in processing incoming payments from licensee.

Nuclear Regulatory Commission Consolidation Guidance about Materials Licenses
Comprehensive source of reference information about materials regulation for those involved in various aspects of licensed materials use.
Radio and Television Broadcasting
If your business broadcasts information by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable, you may be required to obtain a license form The Federal Communications Commission (FCC). The FCC does not regulate the Internet or Internet Service Providers.
Guide to Obtaining FCC Licenses
Information how to obtain specific FCC licenses, from amateur radio to commercial radio and television broadcasting.

How to Apply for a Broadcast Station
Basic information about radio and television stations and the related application processes.

License Renewal Applications for Television Broadcast Stations
Guide to renewing FCC licenses for television stations.

Commission Registration System (CORES)
Licensees, certificate holder, or any entity sending payments to the FCC is considered to be doing business with the FCC and must register with the agency.

FCC Licensing Systems
Information on filing for an FCC license online.
Trucking and Transportation
Oversize and Overweight Load Permit Information
The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) enforces federally mandated maximum vehicle weights and sizes for operations on the National System of Interstate and Defense Highways. Also be aware that many city and county governments require oversize load permits.
  1. About.com
  2. News & Issues
  3. US Government
  4. Business and Money
  5. Federal Business License – Does Your Small Business Need a Federal Business License?

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.