1. News & Issues
Robert Longley

TSA Now Conducting Random Behavioral Screening

By July 23, 2008

Got fear of flying? Better try to suppress it, at least until you're on the airplane, because the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has started conducting random additional at-gate screening of airline passenger who display "involuntary physical and physiological" actions indicating stress, fear or deception.

Passengers selected for the additional screening are separated from the line and may be subjected to enhanced security procedures including, checking and matching passenger identification and boarding passes, conducting physical searches of carry-on luggage and using handheld explosive detection units. The behavioral screening checks are unannounced and may be done at any gate, at any time.

While the TSA acknowledges that displaying stress or fear while waiting in line to get on an airplane does not automatically mark a person as a terrorist or criminal, they believe the enhanced behavioral screening can help their security officers determine if an individual poses a higher security risk.

"Passenger safety continues to be our mission as we use flexible measures in our approach to random screening" assures the TSA in a press release. "Your safety is our priority." So, whatever you do, relax.

Also See:
TSA Tries Black Diamond Lanes for Savvy Travelers
TSA to Test Devices that Can "See Through" Clothing
GAO Sneaks Explosives Past TSA Airport Security

Comments

July 23, 2008 at 7:37 pm
(1) the brown acid says:

Thoughtcrime, anyone?

July 23, 2008 at 7:48 pm
(2) tony says:

I know when I fly and it gets down to the wire to catch the flight and I am waiting in endless lines forever I do start to get nervous about making the flight on time.
Isn’t that “stress” ?
I will never fly again by choice, thanks to the TSA goon squad

July 23, 2008 at 7:51 pm
(3) john says:

More people should do what I did, quit flying. Let them bastards all go bankrupt then they can put those kindergarden gestapos back on the street where they belong. As long as you idiots put up with it it’s going to get worse. Our elected idiots could care less as they’re in on it. Voting didn’t change a thing last time, and won’t this time. Don’t really want the mess but seems to me that a revolution of the 1776 type is the only solution to all the corruption.

July 23, 2008 at 8:00 pm
(4) Liber8tor says:

How about TSA goons feeling up my wife? How about TSA confiscating my laptop and selling it at auction? Does that qualify as “Stressful” activity?

July 23, 2008 at 9:47 pm
(5) Sincty says:

That you quit flying has zero meaning. You will bankrupt the airline, which has nothing to do with TSA, which is the government. And make no doubt, when you do, TSA will still be there, and their numbers won’t decrease – just the opposite.

And you ordered it when you elected Bush into the office – twice.

July 23, 2008 at 10:03 pm
(6) Steve says:

“Hey, that passenger looks stressed! Let’s pounce on her! Maybe we can make her go postal? That would be fun, wouldn’t it!”

July 24, 2008 at 1:51 am
(7) Kevin says:

Lock and load, people. Only a second revolution and civil war will save this country now. It need not be mentioned that the leader of these tsa turdstains is a zionist jew reptile with dual american-israeli ctizenship (like so many others in the bushevik administration). This country is slowly being turned into one gigantic palestine and nobody seems to care. If the people of america don`t soon wake up and reclaim their country one day we will all suffer like the palestinians. Rest assured.

So, folks, start buying all the guns and ammo that you can and learn some basic gun and shooting skills. Chances are one day you`ll need it to defend yourselves and your families from domestic tyranny. Aim as best you can and 86 all the traitors in the government, military, police, tsa etc. Your founding fathers would be proud of you.

July 24, 2008 at 6:44 am
(8) Alibaba says:

I fully support this decision. I am already sick and tired of all the terrorists that everyday board the US planes and collectively hate our freedom. More security!

July 24, 2008 at 8:10 am
(9) William says:

Noone ever heard of taking a valium or other tranquilizer. I’m sure the Nose-pickers from TSA didn’t. Talk about a great excuse to cover your prejudices and bigotry. TSA people are so honest …… Supervisors were calling one another with TEST answers. They steal from “contraband” containers. They charge 1/2 hour overtime if they work 5 minutes over. A real font of integrity.

July 24, 2008 at 9:19 am
(10) Allura says:

Xanax.

ESPECIALLY for you, Kevin.

July 24, 2008 at 9:49 am
(11) Marcia Purse says:

Hey Sincty – there were plenty of us who did NOT help Dubya get elected. I knew he was dangerous before he even got nominated and still can’t understand why everyone didn’t see it.

As the T-shirt says: January 2009 – The End of an Error.

Marcia Purse
About.com Guide to Bipolar Disorder

July 24, 2008 at 10:09 am
(12) Sam Adams says:

In his carriage headed for Woburn Samuel Adams heard the first sounds of gunfire. ‘ Oh , what a glorious morning is this ! ” he exclaimed to
John Hancock.
Adams knew from his answer that Hancock thought he was talking about the fair spring dawn , and he explained. ” I mean , ” he said ,
” what a glorious morning for America. ”

Sam Adams and John Hancock fleeing the British as they left Lexington traveling to Wolburn . April 19th ,1775

From the book :
Patriots
The Men who started the American Revolution
Page 239 , 240
Author : A.J. Langguth
Copyright 1988
ISBN # 0-671-52375-9
# 0-671-67562-1 Pbk.

July 24, 2008 at 1:34 pm
(13) robertsgt40 says:

What Fourth Ammendment?

July 24, 2008 at 2:17 pm
(14) NutriaKing says:

I don’t mind being pulled out of the boarding line, detained, searched, and questioned by government officials. After all, they are protecting us from all those terrorists that hate our freedom.

I just can’t figure out why those thousands of terrorists that have cells in the U.S. haven’t been able to pull off a single attack, like a suicide bombing at a crowded sports event. Certainly that would be extremely easy to do.

But at least our airline transportation is safe. I wonder, though, why our government finds it so important to be able to detain and search American travelers when so many other opportunities for terrorist attacks (like sports arenas or crowded hotels) are left unprotected.

July 24, 2008 at 4:00 pm
(15) Orwell says:

wow, thats ridiculous. I hope someday people realize that our apathy is allowing them to do what they are doing.

July 24, 2008 at 5:17 pm
(16) Luath says:

Sincty, let it be known, WE did not “elect” the president, OK? This a**wipe was SELECTED for us. Don’t forget that fact.

July 25, 2008 at 11:48 am
(17) karlkat says:

When the Panama Canal was returned to Panama, the Treaty with Panama, Known as the Canal Zone Code (codified at 6 USC) was dissolved. In a sense, it was the end of the Federal Governments enforcement of the many agencies the Treaty created. One of the agencies created by the Treaty, was the Department of Transportation, it was only enforceable in insular possessions, and for federal agencies, and Federal contractors. This Treaty was only a small part of the picture as it was based on the Treaty of Versailles, of which the United States signed. The U.S exercising its plenary powers of maritime jurisdiction joined the Council of Europe Convention. For the most part, the Department of State, which has the task of protecting Embassies located in Foreign Countries, was restructured by the Patriot “Act”. It was charged with protecting Americans, serving at foreign outposts, and Embassies, thus providing Homeland Security, the real definition of the term. The DHS is tasked with security for Government owned aircraft, or Chartered Aircraft for the Government commonly referred to as U.S flag ships.
The DHS is limited to gateway airports, by definition, all are located in foreign countries, and the two Government owned airports, located in D.C. If in the event, one of the member states of the Treaty issues a “no fly” for someone attempting to board a Government aircraft, the DHS, puts that persons name on the “no fly list”. Per the terms of the Treaty, the issuing state, nor the DHS, has to divulge the source, or the reason, its all a secret, no joke. The presceening of these particular passengers has been enhanced,per the terms of the Treaty, which now includes profiling.Read all of it at the Council of Europe Convention website.

July 25, 2008 at 4:56 pm
(18) steve says:

This way better…US auth look or bombs while Iraeli auth look for bombers and have the safest airports in the world.

July 29, 2008 at 4:30 pm
(19) Roger says:

On July 4th I flew back from Seattle airport to the east coast. As usual I was pulled aside, wanded, and patted down. Removed my belt also. I explained that I have a medical implant and presented my medical card. The Agent looked at the card and commented, “Never saw one of these before.”, then went on to do the above. Later, while waiting at the gate I looked in my carry on for something, and lo and behold, there was a bottle of water that I forgot about and arrived at the airport with, and proceeded through the security check with it in my carry on bag. Additionally I had some hard candy with me. If I was a terrorist, these items could have been binary explosive components that are inert until mixed. So much for their training…

August 21, 2008 at 6:24 pm
(20) Rob says:

I’m not the brightest bulb on the christmas tree, but even I was able to figure out how to take two flights with my firearm. The TSA folks in Denver tossed my bag into a room-sized machine that could probably trace the DNA it found on the trigger. The folks in Tennesee just asked if they could fire it up into the ceiling a few times to check the grouping.

August 4, 2010 at 1:31 am
(21) aurelia blake says:

Columbus Airport has full body scanners. Wearing only a strapless knee-length billowy dress and undies, I got “randomly” selected. I saw an exchange of glances. Guards moved up to the shoulder of the guy studying the pics. A female security guard who said, “Stand like this” wasn’t even the one to scrutinize the x-ray. Standing still for the shot, hands over my head and a bunch of dudes gawking — definitely creepy.