1. News & Issues
Robert Longley

GPO Posts 'Authentic' Copy of Health Care Reform Bill

By August 22, 2009

Wondering what that health care reform bill really says? Not sure about universal government-provided health care? Now the Government Printing Office (GPO) has published an authenticated copy of the bill, (H.R. 3200), America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009, on its Federal Digital System web site.

GPO has authenticated the copy of the bill by digital signature. GPO states that the digital signature "assures the public that the document has not been changed or altered. A digital signature, viewed through the GPO Seal of Authenticity verifies the document's integrity and authenticity."

Available for free in text, .pdf and .xml formats, a certified copy of the bill can also be purchased printed on lots and lots of paper for US $66.00 from the GPO's Online Bookstore.

The bill has been approved by the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, but has not yet been debated by the full House. Formal debate on the bill will not start until Congress returns from its Labor Day recess on September 8. As you read the GPO's authenticated copy of the bill, remember that many amendments to it are likely.

Also See:
What are Nonprofit Health Insurance Cooperatives?
Is the US Really That Uninsured?
Summary of the Health Care Reform Bill (Liberal Politics)

Follow US Government Info On Twitter

Comments

August 23, 2009 at 7:40 pm
(1) Pierre Tristam says:

Thanks for this. Now if we could get people to read the source material before believing its Hannibal Lecter interpreters.

August 23, 2009 at 9:04 pm
(2) Robert says:

Ain’t that the truth!?

Robert

November 11, 2009 at 2:07 am
(3) Sarah says:

Try to act like you have a brain in your head.

March 22, 2010 at 1:23 am
(4) Steppenwolf says:

Gee, Daddy O-bie, Mama Pelosi and the rest of that high-brow crowd who claim to be running things. Am I smart enough to read this document and understand it? Probably not. I mean, I went to a state school that I worked washing dishes to put myself through, not Columbia where you did…what? You know how state schools are: They don’t teach you to do much more than to follow the (Democratic) party line from the mouths of babes (liberal profs). Maybe if I’d listened to and believed nine tenths of what I heard spouted, I’d do that, too. But I didn’t. This bill is an awful joke the “popular” kids have decided to play on the rest of us. Only, instead of us suffering, its our aging parents who’ll see their Medicare funds sucked dry, our children and us, the hard-working core of this country. I hope every one of the men and women who voted for this abortion have to be first in line for a big does of that fine universal care they’re sticking us with. Oh wait. No. They won’t be. They’re special. They get care that gets exempted.

March 25, 2010 at 7:57 pm
(5) ? says:

stepp:
You make no clear semse. Are you talking about the health care bill, or the fact that you resent having to go to state school. What did you major in? I went to state school and I don’t consider myself to have less of an education that a Columbia grad. In fact, I work with many others who have Ivy League education and I am considered an equal, and in some cases even asked to lead. So what exactly is it that you are trying to sell here? Still in that rebellious stage I see. Have you attempted to read the bill? I’m certain that you can. (oh and I wanted to tell you—you learn what you want at a collegiate lel, you are your own primary educator–prof’s only guide us) I’m certain now that I can guess your major. If you don’t get much out og college, you didn’t put much into it to begin with.

April 4, 2010 at 1:33 pm
(6) hofner71 says:

Why is it that you, your family, the senent and family, the congress and family is exempt from this lousy law you just signed? Obviously you don’t like the bill either and refuse to be subject to any part of it, while the rest of your peons have to, and pay more taxes to pay for your sorry asses to be exempt? You’re a DICTATOR, not a president. That’s why I didn’t vote for you, or the bill. The only CHANGE I have seen is how much you have screwed up this nation and the people in it.

April 4, 2010 at 6:16 pm
(7) Robert Longley says:

hofner71 (6); The only people who are “exempt” from the law are prisoners, illegal aliens and members of certain religions that object to traditional medical treatments. In addition, the health care plan to be offered to the public through the state insurance exchanges is identical in coverage to the plan available to members of Congress, the President and all other federal employees.

September 17, 2010 at 4:49 pm
(8) Osvaldo Broche says:

Hello my name is Osvaldo Broche we are a home health care provider,we provide services for patients at home.Some of the services we provide are skilled nursing,physical therapy,speech therapy and home health aide.We are concerned with this new health care reform and the future of our company.What i’m trying to ask is should we worry as a home health provider.We mostly work with Medicare patients that aren’t tide up with any HMO. HMO companies don’t pay for any of the services rendered to any of their patients.

February 23, 2012 at 2:29 am
(9) socks says:

The health care plan will limit the amount of care you can receive per year, and I believe the members of congress can opt out of it. If the government can limit the amount of care a person receives per year, how many people will die because they cannot receive the care they need? This is a good way to get rid of the elderly, huh? God forbid!
Illegal aliens will be covered by this health care plan.
Please don’t be mislead by this healthcare plan. The government will have access to all medical records. So much for privacy, huh? Obama pulled a plan off the shelf to decrease taxes that has been sitting there for months. Things are happening now that should have happened a good while ago. It appears Obama is trying to give America (in some areas) what they should have had access to long ago. What better way to get votes?There are people who will vote for our president because they will believe what he says is best for our nation. Believe it or not, our nation is not a nation of dummies. The government would like for us to think that some of us are incapable of taking care of ourselves, and that it is necessary we let them support us, and you know what? Some people will believe them. This country was built by blood, sweat, and tears, and pride. Don’t let anybody trick any of us into believing that health-care run by the government is good.
To those of us who have not read the bill, I place a challenge before us. We must read it with an open mind and see it for what it is. It is a blow to our privacy, our freedom, and our intelligence (because they don’t think we are smart enough to understand it).

July 1, 2012 at 10:36 am
(10) theBSman says:

So to the GPO, where exactly is this free unedited copy of this so called “Health Care Reform Bill”? Absolutely NONE of the links to get it actually work! Other than sending you to where it MIGHT have been, but government removed it probably to make “Obfuscation” changes!