1. News & Issues
Robert Longley

Unemployment Compensation Extension Passed by Congress

By November 6, 2009

The U.S. Congress has passed and President Obama is expected to sign a bill extending unemployment compensation payments by up to 20 weeks. The bill also extends and expands the first-time homebuyer tax credit that would have expired at the end of November.

Under the Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 (H.R. 3548), unemployment compensation benefit payments will be extended for an additional 14 weeks in all states. In states where the unemployment rate is at or above 8.5 percent, jobless workers will be eligible for 6 additional weeks of benefits.

The bill also extends for five months the $8,000 tax credit for first-time homebuyers program for homes placed under purchase contract by April 30. In addition, the bill creates a new $6,500 tax credit toward the purchase of a new home that may be available to homeowners who have lived in their current residences for at least five years. The credit would be limited to purchases of principal residences priced at $800,000 or less. The bill also raises the income limits on the homebuyer tax credits to $125,000 for individuals and $225,000 for married couples, up from $75,000 and $150,000, respectively.

Also See:
Unemployment Benefits: A Federal - State Lifeline
Top 10 Federal Benefit and Assistance Programs
The Government Job Finder

Follow US Government Info On Twitter

Comments

November 6, 2009 at 1:34 pm
(1) Jan says:

Unemployment Benefits are a joke….if I lost my job they wouldn’t even pay my house payment. I would like more assurance from the government — bail us out we’re the ones paying for it — let the bankers and corrupt government employees live on unemployment — for what was spent so far every house could be paid for — there is much wrong with the stats coming out — and it’s a shame that the govt thinks we’er stupid enough to fall for it –

November 6, 2009 at 2:25 pm
(2) rose says:

sleeping on the streets and people starving and commiting sucicide because they are backed into a corner. what are the doing??? But when unemployed
due to no fault of their own they oly receive $300
a week. who can pay a light bill and feed a family
or even pay a mortgage on that !!

so sad

November 6, 2009 at 7:19 pm
(3) Robert says:

The average unemployment insurance benefit is $292 a week or $1168 a month according to the Department of Labor.

Robert

November 9, 2009 at 6:37 pm
(4) nidex says:

Apparently we need to be spending more money on education and English/spelling/grammar classes as well.

” i do not understand. we can spend trillions of dollors on exploring space but their are familys
due to no fault of their own they oly receive $300
a week. who can pay a light bill and feed a family
or even pay a mortgage on that !!

so sad”

November 18, 2009 at 5:57 pm
(5) rosemarie says:

I am unemployed and receive 200.00 less per month than what I need to keep a roof over my head. And although I applied for food stamps and medical assistance through local agencies, I was told that I could receive 14.00 in food stamps and unaffordable medical assistance. I am borrowing medication for high blood pressure–sadly, sometimes I have to take a medication that I’ve never taken just to have something in my system. The same monies I paid into the system when I was employed to assistother families in need on public assistance is now being denied me. I find I am deeply depressed, and am panicked about becoming homeless at any given moment. I have been diligently looking and applying for ANY job to no avail. I am grateful for the money I do receive from SEB, but what happens when it runs out? I don’t know where to turn. I owe more than I’m worth to family and friends who’ve been there for me. That alone is discouraging enough to know I’ll never be able to repay the people who have done for me what my years of work and payment into the system has failed to do.
Desperate in Georgia

December 15, 2009 at 11:16 am
(6) TONY says:

I hope this isn’t what you want to hear, but I felt compeled to write. My wife and I are in our 70′s and she is going through Breast Cancer. I for one, gratefully accept the extension, and am grateful. I have 2 grown children, 6 Grandchildren, and 1 Great Grandchild, and they are all hurting also.. This isn;t putting us on top of the world, but at least it helps. I totally agree with you that have to seriously suffer. They didn’t give us our annual increase in Soc Seurity, so that hurt. I guess what I am trying to say is, I am grateful for something.