1. News & Issues
Robert Longley

Obama Signs TV Commercial Volume Law

By December 20, 2010

TV Sets

UPDATE: The CALM Act became fully effective and enforceable on December 13, 2012.  To file reports of violations, see:  How to Report CALM Act Violations.

President Obama has signed a new law requiring TV broadcasters to back down on the volume of those pesky commercials that suddenly blast your eardrums.

The CALM (Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation) Act, signed by President Obama on December 15, requires broadcasters to install technology ensuring that commercials air at a volume no louder than the programs in which they appear.

Final enactment of the CALM Act represents the end of a long legislative battle for U.S. Rep. Anna G. Eshoo (D-California, 14th), who first introduced the bill in 2008.

"The country will now get the relief they deserve from the annoyance of blaringly loud television commercials," said Rep. Eshoo in a press statement. "Consumers will no longer need to dive for the 'mute' button during commercial breaks."

The law directs the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) to implement and enforce the commercial volume limitation regulation.

"The CALM Act, a pro-consumer measure signed into law yesterday by President Obama, will help lower the volume on TV commercials," said FCC chairman Julius Genachowski in a press release. "The FCC will now focus on implementing the law to give consumers back the volume control on their TVs."

Also See: Bill Silencing Loud TV Ads Moves Forward

Follow US Government Info on Facebook and Twitter

Comments

December 20, 2010 at 12:54 pm
(1) Stephen says:

WONDERFUL!! Even though this took two years to pass and get signed into law, this will be so worth it!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

July 19, 2011 at 12:49 am
(2) chris says:

It has taken many decades, but finally this is law! Take that broadcasters!!

October 15, 2011 at 11:31 pm
(3) windows tablet says:

Seriously! A tv volume law? WTF Obama, we have a skyrocketing unemployment rate, terrorist blowing stuff, and all kinds of other stuff going on and your worried about the volume on commercials? Wow, just wow.

December 20, 2010 at 6:51 pm
(4) Lacey says:

I thought it was just bad in California, since I live here and it was a Californian Representative that was fighting so hard for this, but knowing that it was a national problem I’m even more thankful for this! The broadcasting stations should have put a stop to this a LONG time ago!

December 20, 2010 at 8:20 pm
(5) Don Meek says:

It’s about time the clown did something right.

December 21, 2010 at 3:35 am
(6) Jones says:

I’m glad our government has solved all the big problems and now has time for the small stuff- Lord knows this commercial volume issue is of vital importance to the nation.

I mean, our economy is on the rocks and the North Koreans and Iranians have nukes and China owns us lock stock and barrel, BUT AT LEAST TV COMMERCIALS WON’T BE AS LOUD NOW.

Heckuva job, Obama. Way to stay focused.

December 22, 2010 at 5:50 pm
(7) kevin braend says:

All is not well in Obamaland, With the new extentions to unemployment, not all applicants can apply. Many times the States have ways to cut the benifits allowed. If 13 weeks are allowed, you get 9, etc. I am an unemployed machinist and veteran. 26 years in my career field. Watching my last 3 jobs go overseas. I was awarded 26 weeks unemployment in minnesota. The reason for my not qualifying for extentions was that i filed 3 weeks of unemploynment in 2008. So the federal tier system was put in place in 2008. When i reapplied in 2009. I was told that because i reapplied in another year. All the benifits were used up.
After i dicussed this with the unemployment people, i learned that about 4 % of the appliants wil recieve the extention.
So don’t worry to much. The beuracrats are find ways to screw people out of unemploynment.

December 25, 2010 at 12:38 pm
(8) pilotsdaughter says:

It is wonderful that this bill was passed by Congress and the President took a minute to sign it into law. Whoever commented that the President isn’t focused on real issues must not have watched the lame duck session or the last two years. And for anyone with a sick family member or a baby sleeping, trying to keep the noise level constant with the commercials blaring especially if you are in the kitchen cooking and the sound erupts in the other room. Well, I’m guessing the negative comments come from those who sit and hold the remote and never consider how disrupting the elevated sounds can be. I am so happy about this. Thanks so much.

December 26, 2010 at 11:13 pm
(9) itsagoodTHING! says:

You all know it’s annoying, stop being so hard on Obama, maybe he’ll be more focused now, especially without that annoying commercial volume issue! Just sad we have to wait a whole year for it to take effect.

January 21, 2011 at 4:31 pm
(10) Exxodus says:

It matters not to me who is in office at the time, a two party system is a joke. It is a simple thing for local networks to be compliant. They don’t HAVE to wait until Dec 15th 2011. I would suggest if broadcasters in your area insist on bombarding you, call their stations up with the loud commercials playing in the background and TELL them that you’d rather not wait a full year. I think this would get the point across rather than griping and waiting! Hey it’s worth a try. Even a local story in print polling local stations as to when they will become compliant would assist in the endeavor. Like all of the laws that are made, they allow the corruption to continue for a *bit* longer. Being sycophantic towards those who paid and bought you is typical of all those in politics.

December 28, 2010 at 11:56 pm
(11) Justin Sears says:

So why does AMC still raise the volume for their commercials? I get tired of having to hit the mute button for every commercial break.

June 28, 2011 at 12:02 am
(12) Matthew says:

AMC just did it again during a commercial break for “Shawshank Redmption.” I would change the channel — or just put in the DVD, but I’m too lazy. I get the feeling that this will never change. I rarely watch AMC though, due to this tactic. AMC is the only network I’ve encountered this on. Sad, because they have good movies and great television shows. Oh well.

December 29, 2010 at 6:33 am
(13) Robert Longley says:

Justin: “Broadcasters will have until December 15, 2011 to prove compliance with the CALM Act.”

Thanks!
Robert Longley

December 29, 2010 at 7:06 pm
(14) stevie b. says:

It is going to take a flippin year for this law to go into affect???
What a joke!! How but effective Jan.15,11

August 16, 2011 at 9:16 am
(15) I. Canthearovertvad says:

I agree with you. What are we supposed to do till the act is enforced? Go deaf from idiot broadcasters disrespect for their viewers? Is that the best our government cares about our health concerns?The LAW NEEDS TO BE ENFORCED YESTERDAY!

January 1, 2011 at 10:12 pm
(16) Larry says:

Jones, above, seems to be a little confused about how government works. Obama probably spent almost no time at all on this bill, other than the time it took to sign it into law. Congress would have spent time crafting and debating it, as they obviously did over the past two years. Once Congress passes a bill it goes to the president, who either signs it into law or vetos it. So let’s give Obama a break on this one, huh?

And keep in mind this has been an annoyance for decades, with broadcasters routinely insisting that they didn’t run commercials at higher volume. Personally, I don’t like people trying to manipulate me, and doing it at high volume is just that much more annoying, so I’m happy Congress finally got around to doing something about this.

As for the economy, government didn’t screw it up and government can’t fix it. Sure, the feds can put a few things in place to make recovery a little easier and maybe to help small businesses and unemployed workers, but American business is going to have to find its own way back to productivity and profit.

January 2, 2011 at 10:04 pm
(17) Mat says:

Great Law:

It seems that the NFL broadcasters as well as others alter the volume during game and program play so the commercials are allowed a little wiggle room.

There needs to be some reasonable volume consistency during program play so the comparison between commercials and programming volume is more consistent, and that the commercials are played at the lowest volume values would be nice.

January 3, 2011 at 1:52 am
(18) Easy on the ears says:

Thank You! Since I live in an apt. I’ve had complaints to the manager because I’ve arrows away from the tv and a commercial come on that was too loud. Now I have to walk around with my remote in my pocket. That’s ridiculous! SO Thank You!!!

January 3, 2011 at 6:35 pm
(19) Mitch says:

Broadcasters should comply now instead of waiting nearly a year…give the consumers what they deserve.

January 4, 2011 at 12:51 pm
(20) Chris Zimny says:

The government makes everything better. Big Brother will even fix the volume on your telescreen.

January 5, 2011 at 2:01 pm
(21) KonaRose says:

Finally, BUT ANOTHER YEAR OF WAITING? uuuughhhhhhhhhhh

January 5, 2011 at 7:42 pm
(22) magnus says:

been waiting for years for this.
i dont need to hear those stupid commercials while
im in the bathroom during the break. or in the kitchen getting a drink. if anything, im never going to buy there product because they annoyed me with there loud crap. How did they get control over the volume on our tv’s to begin with?????????HMMMMMM….

January 5, 2011 at 8:58 pm
(23) Mike Bender says:

Thank goodness for this bill.

I have for years sat with the remote on my lap or leg so I could grab it at the least hint of a commercial break. I would grab it and hit mute. The advertisers who are so determined I must hear their commercials while I am three rooms away getting a beverage or “other” should have learned long ago that I RESENT their blasting at me. I determined I would NEVER buy from any company that had commercials louder than the program.

Obviously the companies are not smart enough to realize many people had already tuned them out. If the volume was even with the program people might not bother to mute it and would actually hear the commercial they spent a gazillion dollars on.

But no, it took congress to tell the bums to turn it down. Further proof that you cannot trust corporate America to do what is in the best interests of the public.

Not that we can always trust gov to what is in the best interests of the people but at least this once, they got it right. I just wish it was going to take action tomorrow.

January 7, 2011 at 8:51 pm
(24) Cindy says:

I agree w/ Mike. I can’t believe that they have until Dec. 2011 to comply. I thought it would begin this month. Another year of being annoyed on a daily basis.

January 8, 2011 at 1:47 am
(25) douche bag says:

I hate not getting an extension on my unemployment too Mr. Braend. Obama is the best president ever. I think every person should get 2 years of unemployment, that will really give people the stimulus they need to get off their dead ass and get a job.

January 9, 2011 at 4:11 am
(26) Billy says:

I think its a good idea. I also think it’s going to be hard to enforce as movies and TV programs very in volume. For Example just when there is a quit spot in a movie a louder commercial comes on but not over the loudest volume the program has. Don’t get me wrong it will be better but not as good as the everyone is hoping.

January 9, 2011 at 10:25 am
(27) Too Loud says:

Once the string of commercials is started, I hit the mute button as soon as I can get to the remote. So, most of the first commercial is muted. After that, every commercial is muted and their message does not get through.
What I was afraid of happening was the governmen banning mute buttons on remotes manufactured after some random date so we would be forced to listen to the commercial.
There is very little on TV worth watching and, if they had banned mute buttons, I would have sold my TV.

July 30, 2011 at 2:29 am
(28) Isabel De Los Rios says:

I agree. And its about bloody time they did something about that.

January 9, 2011 at 4:38 pm
(29) bob says:

Watching TNT right now, problem is program Volumn very low, set speakers to 40, commercial comes on and literally blasts you off the couch, if you change channels, you find the commercial is about right volumn, but the program is a full 10 points lower than other stations.

This is probably the stations answer to fixing the problem, keep all commercials at a consistent level and lower the programs audio track so you have to crank it up.

January 9, 2011 at 11:17 pm
(30) Seb says:

i don’t get why people are so sardonic about Obama having signed this bill, it’s not like it takes much effort, he wasn’t pushing for it or anything. Signing by the president is the last step before a national law goes into effect. Glad to see learned people on the internet. (sarcasm)

January 13, 2011 at 12:44 pm
(31) Bob says:

Thank goodness this law is passed and signed. But why do did congress give the broadcasters an entire year to be compliant? How long does it take to turn down a volume control?

January 14, 2011 at 7:30 pm
(32) Monkey Handler says:

Why on earth does it take a YEAR to implement this law!!!!
That is rediculous! They know what they are doing with the volume and they just need to reach up and turn down the volune now!!!

January 14, 2011 at 9:19 pm
(33) Mike says:

This law does not need a year to comply. I felt like a primate for the past years for watching TV with a remote continously, to wait for each commercial, and it’s worse with surround sound.

January 17, 2011 at 10:07 pm
(34) Crabby Appleton says:

No way in hell it takes a year to get this volume thing taken care of. All they needed to say is “This law goes into effect on Tuesday”… and it would be done. It doesn’t take a year. It is so annoying to get blasted off my couch by the commercials. GET IT DONE!

January 21, 2011 at 4:40 am
(35) tim says:

Please! Some one do the same in Canada. I want to take my 800 watt amplifier down to Colgate offices and as soon they go into meeting blast their ears off with the sound of their own damn ad that is making me deaf everyday in between movies. I am fed up. Aaaaaaaah why do we have to go through this.

January 23, 2011 at 12:35 pm
(36) DeSpizer says:

This is a bill which will be overcome by the fact that not only is private enterprise much smarter than government, elected officials are so easy to buy if they desire to stay elected officials. Your only hope if you don’t want the noise is some sort of DVR system.

January 23, 2011 at 9:28 pm
(37) GeoMan says:

Pay attention people and try to actually read the article! President Obama did not “focus” on this issue. It was US Rep. Anna G. Eshoo that fought the battle for US citizens and won. President Obama simply signed the law into effect for the people of the US. Good grief, get over your partisan politics and pay attention to the facts.

January 28, 2011 at 11:51 am
(38) Dick says:

This law is a positive example of gov’t oversite when the private sector just could not get it right

February 7, 2011 at 4:43 pm
(39) get.info says:

I’m constantly amazed. Several folks make an attack on the President because he signs a bill that Congress sent to him.

He didn’t drag his feet (Hint: Congress did.)
It wasn’t “his” bill. It was introduced in 2008. Look at your calendars folks.

Any bets that the broadcasters wait until the last second to change things to follow the law. To heck with the mute button! We’ve been hitting the change channel button for years, we don’t even see the commercial. So take that advertisers!

As for you folks who want to pick on the President- your brain needs stimulation- maybe a few loud commercials.

February 8, 2011 at 1:44 pm
(40) Loucinda says:

I agree with get.info, I change the channel as soon as a commercial comes on and will watch “Sit and Be Fit” before I will spend two seconds on an ad for some chemical laden air freshener or pizza puff appetizer that is full of franken-food. But in the 2 seconds it takes me to dive for the remote, I don’t want to be blasted with high volume drivel. And I am half deaf already, I wear hearing aids. It’s about time they stopped being able to intrude on my otherwise peaceful home.

February 12, 2011 at 7:48 pm
(41) rob says:

That lasted for about a month. Now they are back at 2x the volume of the progams I’m watching again.

Great law – just no enforcement

February 18, 2011 at 1:08 am
(42) cHARLES says:

I thought I actually detected this working after the signing. Now any thought that it is in place is gone. It drives you crazy.
Others mentioned that the commercials are muted because of it. I would have expected advertisers to have required this long ago.
Proves that little thought goes into these things. I quit buying things when manufacturers ignore the customer. I rarely am influenced by any advertisement anyway.

February 22, 2011 at 8:28 pm
(43) bill d says:

Why does it take an act of congress to resolve an issue that requires something as little as common sense!!!No wonder the country is going down the tubes!!!!!!!!!

February 23, 2011 at 3:06 pm
(44) Stacey says:

FINALLY! This drives me insane in my own home but when I visit elderly relatives with hearing issues, their tv’s are already extremely loud and when the commercials come on it sounds as though the speakers will blow. I have never understood how these people don’t see that the volume is so obnoxious during commercials that everyone is hitting mute and no one is paying attention to what they are trying to sell!!

February 24, 2011 at 12:38 pm
(45) lsp says:

I use Cox Communications for cable and their commercials are the loudest of all. The volume went down just before and after the bill passed. Now it’s back up and louder than ever. I have to mute them to keep from loosing my mind. They know that consumers hate loud commercials but they don’t care. It shows a real lack of respect for customers on the part of Cox Communications.

February 25, 2011 at 4:49 pm
(46) jennie mathesius says:

Obama made a law regarding comercials being to loud and now in 2011 thy are louder than ever! When will this law be implemented? Why isnt anything changed? Are these companies being fined and if not why not?

March 6, 2011 at 12:39 pm
(47) jerry says:

Years ago I had a RCA TV that had a setting that kept the volume at a set volume that you determined. Why don’t they make tV’s like that now? didn’t make any difference how loud the commercials were they all came out the same volume as the regular program.

March 14, 2011 at 10:46 am
(48) Linda R. Cocoa Beach says:

This is the best news I’ve heard all day. Thanks to US Rep. Anna Eshoo for introducing the bill and to Pres. Obama for signing it into law. Thanks also to all the Congressmen and women who helped pass this bill. Why did it take so long? The industry should have corrected this themselves. Pretty bad to have to make it a law for them to comply. How about them just doing it because it is the right thing to do.

March 14, 2011 at 7:33 pm
(49) dave says:

I notice that the volume of some shows goes up substantially just before commercials come on. Is this a way to avoid the CALM Act??

March 19, 2011 at 2:30 pm
(50) Alysin09 says:

Really? This law has been PASSED?! I would have never known because commercials are still way toooo loud! Especially for a child’s ears. The commercials are so loud you have to turn the tv down, but when the show comes back on, it’s so low, you can’t hear it…When is this going to stop?

March 24, 2011 at 4:28 pm
(51) hedgehog says:

Thank you Finally after 40 years of this.

March 26, 2011 at 1:38 pm
(52) Ralph Smith says:

The Broadcasters get paid extra by the advertisers to crank up the volume during commercials. The louder it goes the more money the Broadcasters make. Everyone should Google the advertisers to tell them that they need to phone their marketing company & fire them. Tell them about the newsgroups who won’t purchase their products because of this or listen to their ads. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. The sooner this law takes affect the better. Later so the broadcasters can find alternative ways to make some advertising dough.

Obama has quite a mess that the previous government has left him. No one will be able to turn this around over night until some attempt is made to get the budget under control. Jobs going over seas? I just wish Obama would grow some balls and start making the important decisions before he had lost the ability to do it. Now it has to go through the Republicans who you can guess are all for the rich man.

Where do you think that the cheap labour is? With the unions making things so expensive businesses need to go elsewhere and retailers need to start purchasing things made in North America, but the problem is it’s getting harder and harder to do. Quality has gone by the weighside as more people want cheap crap. It’s our own fault for shopping at Walmart instead of the local stores.

March 27, 2011 at 6:47 pm
(53) Ken Orlando says:

Well, It’s the end of March, 2011, and here in Colorado Springs, CO, the volume on most commercials is still at least 30-40% louder than scheduled programming. My gosh, anyone can go to Guitar Center, or get a Musician’s Friend catalog and order an audio sound compressor to insure all the volumes stay at the same level. I feel like calling up my local stations and volunteer to buy one for them….if they promise to use it!

March 28, 2011 at 10:50 am
(54) usgovinfo says:

Ken and All: Under the federal regulatory process, broadcasters may have until late 2012 to comply with the CALM Act.

See: http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/consumerawareness/a/When-And-How-The-Calm-Act-Will-Be-Enforced.htm

April 17, 2011 at 8:52 am
(55) cherise says:

Unfortunately, everyone who complained that broadcasters were given a whole year before they have to turn the volume down seems to have missed two statements in the article: First, the FCC has until 12/2011 TO DRAFT RULES requiring the sound to be lowered. Second, roadcasters then have one year AFTER THAT to comply. In other words, they don’t have one year; they have two! The date for compliance will be December 2012! Besides that, the article says the FCC can grant extensions BEYOND THAT to broadcasters who show it would be a financial hardship to comply. We can still be glad the law passed, but hopefully we’ll live long enough to see it enforced.

April 17, 2011 at 12:59 pm
(56) flybyspam says:

It’s practically a moot point considering that technology and the subjective way “volume,” is determined. Broadcasters have not been changing the volume; or the power that goes into commercials. They take the power from the lower frequencies and put them into the spectrum that we hear…..so it SOUNDS louder. A decibel meter will show no difference in volume between those “pesky,” commercials and the shows. Some televisions have volume leveling circuits that can even mute commercials. And with a DVR you can avoid the commercials altogether. This was an issue over thirty years ago. This strikes me as more of a publicity stunt that didn’t need to happen.

May 23, 2011 at 11:19 pm
(57) cj says:

Really? Try living in New York where I have had several neighbors actually call the police for noise disturbances because a show that was at a reasonable volume went to a commercial and was so loud that it actually made someone call the police. And who cares if the frequencies are different and some decibel meter shows that it is the same. Are your ears a decibel meter? How about the police or neighbors that have to hear it? That is like saying it is okay to stare into the sun just because you are wearing some cheap plastic glasses you picked up from walmart on your way home from picking up the welfare check!!

April 20, 2011 at 9:42 am
(58) Alexigente says:

Does the Tea Party know about this? How can he not get reelected now?
Glory be to his holy Muslim name

April 27, 2011 at 2:04 pm
(59) BoBo says:

WASTE OF GOVT. TIME AND MONEY!

June 5, 2011 at 3:11 am
(60) Mike says:

Too bad it’s not being enforced. Thanks again for sucking Obama.

July 24, 2011 at 10:54 pm
(61) pajama jeans says:

I think it had some effect cause I havent heard any in awhile. It is kinda strange that they made a law for it though but I’m cool with it cause they were really irritating.

July 25, 2011 at 12:04 am
(62) pajama jeans says:

Damn, right after I posted the first comment one of those loud arse commercial came on,lol! I can’t stand when they do that!

July 13, 2011 at 4:26 pm
(63) Randy says:

(Actually introduced in June 2008 by Sen. Wicker (R), w/companion bill in the House.)

Prediction:

- The licensed stations will cry boo-hoo because they will show “financial hardship & harm” due to implementation (read “they’ll have to buy some stuff to comply”). As a result,
- The FCC will rubber-stamp all requests for the 1-year waiver. When it runs out…
- The FCC will rubber-stamp all requests for the 1-year extension of the 1-year waiver.

2015 folks, maybe.
Can you hear me now?

July 16, 2011 at 12:32 pm
(64) Milcho says:

What? I’m sure tons of people have commented on this, but
Why the hell does this need to be a law?
Why is the government _controlling_ what should be otherwise up to private corporations?

It’s not that I like loud commercials, but like an old proverb goes: if you see a snake, kill it, don’t make a committee on snakes!

October 16, 2011 at 12:10 pm
(65) eric says:

It needs to be a law because broadcasters won’t voluntarily do it and the broadcasters are the only ones who like it, not the consumers. You probably still don’t get it. Grow a brain.

August 1, 2011 at 1:55 pm
(66) Richie says:

Now can we raise taxes on the rich please? Thank you.

September 18, 2011 at 11:51 am
(67) Bob says:

I am wondering if the commerical folks met in secret with the movie producers because the volume of the background noise and music is extremely loud and you can hardly hear the actors. Was that noise/music raised on purpose so the commerical advertizers could say SEE we are no louder than the movie? I would not be surprised at all.

September 20, 2011 at 5:25 pm
(68) ipad alternatives says:

I can’t believe the administration even has time to be worrying about issues like this when we have far more serious things to deal with.

November 25, 2011 at 12:24 pm
(69) Richard Phelps says:

Getting back to the actual issue here, volume on the commercials: First, we need to understand the problem. Believe it or not, there are already standards in place BEFORE this new law that limit the maximum volume.

The problem is that the shows have a nuanced range of volumes, and the commercials do not. That is to say, on a show, loud things are loud, and normal thins are normal volume, and quiet thins are quiet.

The commercials, on the other hand have no use for much nuance, and are at or close to the maximum allowable volume at all times. So in terms of decibel level, they are not actually any louder than the loudest portions of the shows right now.

So, I haven’t seen the verbiage of the new law, but I’m hoping againt hope that these lawmakers actually had a good enough understanding of the problem to have something here with teeth.

December 8, 2011 at 2:39 am
(70) Lee Anderson says:

I guess I shouldn’t be incredulous that some would use even this as a platform to attack the head of we, the body. So much wasted energy and so many self-inflicted wounds. I came here just because I got another blast from a commercial: Seeking clarity and that’s all. The problem is REAL and this, hopefully, will be a REAL solution.

Thank you Richard Phelps.

December 8, 2011 at 11:42 am
(71) Max says:

Thank you.. Thank you… Thank you.. And I will be certain to make sure they comply and will formally complain if I find them vioating this law.

December 11, 2011 at 2:26 am
(72) Tala says:

My TV has voice cotrol which help cntroling the same voice level, but my issue is the so many commercials in one hour do that they prodcasting. Therefore now I am only recording the shows I like and forward all the commercial when watching it back.

The hell with live TV.

December 14, 2011 at 8:03 pm
(73) donna ferrara says:

I’M SO HAPPY THAT I NO LONGER WILL HAVE TO PRESS THE MUTE BIOOTN AGAIN!!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU

December 17, 2011 at 5:49 pm
(74) Rubies&ice says:

Thank you, thank you! It’s about time! However, some of the news and sports are blaring in volume as well. I’m like a lot of others, if you blast me with your commercial, I do not buy from your business. How does the saying go…you are insulting our intelligence! Those awful loud car commercials that only speak of leasing and never buying a vehicle, I will never purchase a car from these places! HHGregg – done with them with that blaring commercial when they shout “Help” to get your attention. We hold the remote to change the volume more than to change channels. It’s pitiful! And while we’re at it, we are losing privacy big time each day. They are taking over our mail, e and hand-delivered, phones, faxes, tv volume, opt out is not for the consumer. I just never understood why I have to write you to ask you to leave me alone, rather than you not bothering me in the first place! I don’t get it.

December 20, 2011 at 8:56 am
(75) JC says:

Commercials pay for all of your TV entertainment on broadcast stations (FOX, NBC, CBS, ABC) and greatly subsidize cable and satellite. You’re biting the hand that feeds you. Would it be better to have a $300 cable bill, or a few loud commercials?

Between DVR’s and new regulations, TV commercials will all be gone soon and the viewers will be stuck with the bill.

December 20, 2011 at 7:47 pm
(76) The Hawk says:

It would be very easy for TV manufacturers to include an “automatic volume control” (AVC) circuit in the audio circuit of the TV. it might require th addition of a transistor and a couple of other components. This might add as much as a dollar to the cost of the TV.
This solution would take time for full implementation, therefore this law is a necessary stopgap.

December 21, 2011 at 12:17 am
(77) Brian says:

HOO-RAY!!!!
This has been such an annoying aspect of watching TV…it’s nearly driven me back to renting DVD’s….now how do we make this happen in Canada?

December 21, 2011 at 10:08 pm
(78) DS says:

JC you just don’t get it do you? It’s not about “biting the hand that feeds,” it’s about basic decency and respect for the viewing consumer. NOBODY likes to be yelled at unless they are hard of hearing, but that is just what commercials do, they yell at you. It’s obnoxious, rude, and completely unnecessary. Additionally it totally defeats the purpose of getting the word out about said product, as most people mute commercials or turn the channel altogether.

I generally don’t like government intrusion into the affairs of private enterprise, but in this case, I fully salute their involvement. It has only taken decades and decades of complaints about obnoxiously loud volume differences between commercials and non-commercial programming to get it done, but better late than never!

December 23, 2011 at 1:12 pm
(79) marco says:

Finally. Don’t advertisers realize elevated volume levels just make us mute their commercials?

December 23, 2011 at 8:45 pm
(80) Ann says:

It’s a ‘screaming’ shame that it took legislation to enforce what should be common sense / common decency on the part of the networks. I didn’t wait, however and dumped them all last year and never looked back! I now stream all my programming and enjoy [nearly] commercial free viewing what, when and where I want it. Oh, I’m sure the networks aren’t suffering from my decision… but I love it, and I’m saving more than $100/mos.!

December 28, 2011 at 5:17 pm
(81) Dillard says:

I love the idea commercials won’t blast out, but What IDIOT or group of IDIOTS decided to make tv’s only go to half volume? I have never heard of anything so stupid. We really have to stop protecting the stupid. Its their ears, let them blow them if they want to.

January 6, 2012 at 7:21 pm
(82) farmgirl1976 says:

BFD!
Did you read the article? It will take up a year from Dec. 2011 for this law to be enforced!
We were lead to believe that it would be enforced Jan. 1, 2012! What a joke!

January 18, 2012 at 7:58 am
(83) Where's the remote? says:

As of today, nothing has changed! If you take notice…You will find that commercials for SMOKEY, EDUCATION, and MORTGAGES ARE still LOUD as can be…I know it seems like a stupid thing to be brought to the front burner, but it is annoying!!!! What’s really funny is that it’s mostly Government or Educational commercials that are the loudest. I am looking forward to not having to find the remote to turn the volume down~~every 10-15 minutes!!!

February 1, 2012 at 8:24 pm
(84) mcinep says:

obama may have better stuff to do but this bill was needed i wanted to sue the broadcasters because of hearing damage from commercials

February 4, 2012 at 9:06 am
(85) LordBobo says:

I think it’s wrong for Obama to have taken much needed time and attention away from fixing the economy (LOL) to focus on this. We don’t need MORE laws governing what we say and how we say it. This isn’t the America I grew up in.

Why must Obama constantly interfere with the Free Market? Why not let the industry regulate itself? I’m tired of all these new needless Regulations being put into place that end up hurting the Job Creators.

With DVR and Tivos now people simply fast forward through commercials anyway, so why bother with the time and effort to regulate something that doesn’t need to be regulated? The Free Market has already given you the Mute button. Stop being so lazy America. Don’t let Obama take away even more of your Freedom.

February 12, 2012 at 10:26 pm
(86) Ed says:

We have unemployment, so all other legislation should stop? That makes sense! (give me a break). I’m glad that they passed this – it is LONG OVERDUE!

PS – Stop bashing Obama and get a life! Bush 2s (and the then Republican Congress’) economic solution was to use our country’s surplus to ‘buy’ votes in an election while presiding over an economy that went down the toilet for eight consecutive years (don’t try to tell me that the $500 checks they received boosted the economy – it didn’t). The fact that Obama can’t “fix” the economy in less that four years does not surprise me (besides, people always over-simplify the economy/over state the degree of control ANY president has over the economy).

February 26, 2012 at 9:55 am
(87) Tom says:

@ESPNCommentary @espn #SportsReportergreat show) did not get the memo!

February 26, 2012 at 2:27 pm
(88) evilCozPoetry says:

Channel 10 / 11 Strong must not have gotten the memo either.

The guy on the commercial for some local roofing company comes blaring out, about 20 volume notches louder than the motocross program, (which is already kind of loud) “DID YOU KNOW TEMPERATURES ON ROOFS CAN REACH AND EXCEED 140 DEGREES?” (he is trying to defer do-it-yourselfers, and hire him).

I said to myself, outloud, “yeah, probably, I also know that this commercial is God Knows how many decibels higher than the regular programming. I thought that was against the law?”

And I googled “isn’t a higher volume on commercials illegal?”

And choose here to be directed to.

I thought it had been a law for years. And was surprised to find that it has just come into law so recently.

As for all of you complainers that there is so much more to do.
I agree, it is true. But F man, this is something, and usually, not always, but usually, SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING.

And I am glad… Now, if the broadcasters can just adhere to the letter of the law, I may not have to get a hearing aid, or at least not jump out of my seat, startled from the increased volume blast. I have been known to bump my head and spill my coffee, I even twisted my ankle once.

February 27, 2012 at 6:59 pm
(89) Tim says:

This wont truly come into effect until dec2013. if you read the law passed, they can waiver twice if they can prove money problems as a result of changing their equipment. Now… we all know too many companies are running in the red these days. Chances are, you wont see this take effect until the end of the second waiver period. As far as Obama waisting his time on this, it’s not time waisted to sign something as simple as this in the two minutes that it’s actually on his desk. I’m sure he took a quick look at it and thought “WELL HELL YES!!” and signed it and sent it on. no big deal for those who aren’t overly obsessive about how obama spends his time. His plate is full, and it isn’t getting lighter. complain about his opinion, not his schedule. I personally agree with his opinion on this subject.

March 5, 2012 at 1:23 pm
(90) Ork Rule says:

And yet… people still like the idea of the government being their only employer. Capitalism is good because it has competition. If the government gets rid of capitalism, why does it need to pay anyone more than minimum wage (other than goverment execs who would then get starting salaries of $10,000,000 a year more than likely). Communism DOESN’T WORK – just read George Orwell!
(this post is mainly directed posthumosly at Karl Marx, and at #Occupy)

April 16, 2012 at 7:36 pm
(91) Jo Staton says:

If it a law – it is not working in Austin Texas
I am 77 and a shut in – I also have a hearing problem
It hurts my ears – when comercials come on LOUD
so very LOUD. Yo cut it down the have to turn it up;
when show comes back on
Who shulllllld I contact about this
WE HAVE A RIGHT TO LIVE WITH OUT THIS
PLEASE

April 20, 2012 at 3:45 am
(92) Big Brad says:

Well, here it is April 20, 2012, and the commercials are louder than ever!

Is this another law that Obama has directed the powers that be, NOT to enforce? Sure seems like it to me!

The law was signed on Dec. 15, 2010 . . . and we’re STILL hearing the same old CRAP!

How much longer do we have to wait? and why can’t the television manufacturers build in an audio setting that would allow us to set an EVEN volume? Are they being paid for NOT including such a setting?

Big Brad

April 20, 2012 at 6:00 am
(93) usgovinfo says:

@Big Brad — Brad, you need to read “When and How Will the CALM Act be Enforced?” at: http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/consumerawareness/a/When-And-How-The-Calm-Act-Will-Be-Enforced.htm

“The CALM Act gives the FCC until December 15, 2011 to create and adopt rules – federal regulations — by which the CALM Act will be enforced. One year following the date on which the FCC’s CALM Act regulations are adopted, TV broadcasters, including all standard, cable and satellite broadcasters, will be required to comply with the regulations.”

So, December 15, 2012 is the magic date. Even then, it will be up to the public to report violations.

Robert Longley

June 5, 2012 at 6:33 pm
(94) Michael says:

@JC – I agree with DS and would also add that cable is already well over $200 for many of us who want the maximum amount of channels. So I am not sure what you are speaking of with regards to the price going up if the volume is turned to normal. Keep that in mind too. The volume should be the same as the program you are watching.

If I have my television set to a volume that others do not hear, because they are sleeping, said others should not be jolted from sleep with a commercial that is three or four times louder (sometimes even louder than that).

July 4, 2012 at 6:20 pm
(95) marilyn says:

Just don;t buy any of the products that are being advertised ! ! ! !

September 3, 2012 at 9:53 am
(96) Clear Water says:

It only took the President 22 minutes to speak about and then sign this legislation. He is not the lawmaker that sponsored it so I think it was well worth the time. The law will not be in effect until 2014 to give the broadcasters time to develop technology needed to adhere to the new law.

September 21, 2012 at 10:51 pm
(97) Chanel says:

Question, when will it be in effect? Tonight, one particular commercial felt like it was screaming at me. I turn down the volume then when the program came back on, I kept the volume where I have it now, it was fine before it went to a commercial break. So now I’m afraid to turn up the volume cause I don’t want to be sceam at again. When can I enjoy television without someone yelling at me?

September 30, 2012 at 1:38 pm
(98) WhatIsThePoint says:

I wish the law was enforced, but since advertisers and regulators refuse to implement the law, I just MUTE the ads. I love wasting advertisers money!!!

October 9, 2012 at 10:22 pm
(99) Hearingaidsforsale says:

LAUGH OUT LOUD!!! The wonderful world of too much noise, confusion, technology, in your face, in your space, no place to get away from it, even in your own ‘castle’ that we think we own. . Time to shut it all down, save some bucks, and start reading more. Sheesh…No wonder too many people are on too many anti this, anti that meds to ‘cure’ all that stress, then have to worry about all those side affects that get shouted to us in between all our favorite shows!!!!!

October 17, 2012 at 11:43 pm
(100) Eric says:

The Tv programs will just make their shows louder lol. Its as simple as that. Obama you know damn well how you worded that new law will not work at all. There are loop holes all over it.

November 15, 2012 at 10:40 pm
(101) Shelly Duncan says:

What every happened to this law? It seems like they are up to the same old tricks with the volume. I’d be nice if someone would enforce this. Michigan 2012

December 12, 2012 at 9:37 pm
(102) Jan Tewel says:

We greatly appreciate all the efforts to pass this Bill. It has been son disruptive to constantly fight the ever increasing volume of commericals.

Thank you so much!

December 13, 2012 at 3:28 pm
(103) Ronald Fuller says:

Thank God someone findly heard my prayer

December 13, 2012 at 7:20 pm
(104) Jessie Hamby says:

Well, here it is in 2012-2013. Still haven’t seen any changes in the volume. “Our govt. at work”!

December 14, 2012 at 5:22 am
(105) usgovinfo says:

Jessie: The law just took effect yesterday — 12/13/2012 — TV stations, cable providers, etc. were given one year to make technical changes needed to comply. If you still have complaints, report them to the FCC – http://www.fcc.gov/ — they can fix it, nobody here can.

Robert Longley

December 15, 2012 at 11:01 am
(106) William Longest says:

Presently viewing CNN-watching coverage of CT shooting. To whom can we report violations of the new c.a.l.m. legislation. VIOLATION Note;CNN 12/15/12, @ 10:40a, commercial for “LIFE ALERT’
@ 11:00 a.m. also CNN, commercial for DIRECT TV.

fix it!

December 15, 2012 at 5:51 pm
(107) usgovinfo says:

William Longest: CALM Act complaints should be filed by using the FCC’s online complaint form found at http://www.fcc.gov/complaints.

To access the form, click on the Complaint Type button “Broadcast (TV and Radio), Cable, and Satellite Issues,” and then click on the Category button “Loud Commercials.”

Robert Longley

December 15, 2012 at 10:01 pm
(108) R says:

NO! I like the loud commercials. It reminds me to reach for the remote and mute them!!!

December 18, 2012 at 1:53 am
(109) Jedi says:

Now if only we can get them to make it so when people talk in movies / shows we don’t need to turn it up to hear them and then have it suddenly explode with sound.

December 19, 2012 at 8:50 pm
(110) little fern says:

Haven’t seen a difference. Still have to turn my t.v. down.sux.

December 21, 2012 at 7:11 pm
(111) The President says:

To all you sarcastic trolls complaining that there are bigger problems the president should focus on: This IS a big problem because it is a quality of life issue. Additionally, and unlike yourselves, the president isn’t a lazy shiftless mental midget who wanders to a 9 – 5 to shuffle papers. He deals with hundreds of issues, both big and small, on a daily basis. He is YOUR commander in chief.

December 21, 2012 at 9:52 pm
(112) Charles Fogle says:

I don’t care who is in the White House at the time this law was signed. I believe that the companies who are trying to sell you things by being obnoxious and blasting their message don’t deserve the time of day. I don’t watch much TV but when I do I prefer not having to mute commercials just because they hurt my ears… Long live TV!

December 22, 2012 at 5:29 am
(113) usgovinfo says:

To All: Laws do not enforce themselves. YOU have to enforce this law by reporting commercials you think are too loud. If people do not report them, they will just keep on blasting them at you.

See: How to File Loud TV Commercial Complaints

Robert Longley

December 25, 2012 at 12:35 pm
(114) Sarge7 says:

Seriously, i can not believe these freaking liberals have nothing better to do than piss and moan and whine about tv volume, REALLY! And how many millions did your commander in chief spend on this menace to society! Unbelievable !!

December 26, 2012 at 8:58 pm
(115) mark says:

as of 12/26/2012 i have not noticed any change,its still annoying.if the gov did something than im missing something

December 27, 2012 at 5:27 am
(116) usgovinfo says:

Mark: The government enacted the law. That’s all the government CAN do. WE — YOU — have to enforce the law by reporting loud commercials to the FCC. No law enforces itself.

See:

January 3, 2013 at 12:23 pm
(117) Jeff says:

Some people think this law is silly. other people that have Tramatic brain injury think it is great. This should have been done years ago. All we do is mute the entire commercial because we can’t stand the loud noise. There are hundreds of thousands of us with this physical issue, this is a true blessing.

January 31, 2014 at 9:36 pm
(118) Michael M says:

Thought this was going to end.
Stop invading my privacy.