1. News & Issues
Robert Longley

Federal Workers Petition Obama for Christmas Eve Off

By December 5, 2012

UPDATE: On Dec. 21, President Obama issued an executive order excusing all non-Postal Service federal employees from duty on Tuesday, Dec. 24. You can read the details in this memo from John Berry, director of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM).

Hoping to help ease the sting of the having their pay frozen, federal employees have posted a petition on the White House's "We the People" Web site asking President Obama to give them Christmas Eve off.

In 2010, Obama froze the pay of all federal employees for the years 2011 -- 2012, and in August 2012, he extended the pay freeze through at least April of next year. In addition, the size and cost of maintaining the federal workforce became a target for attack during the presidential election and federal workers could become victims of "fiscal cliff" legislation.

The petitioners contend that by declaring December 24, 2012 a paid holiday for federal workers, President Obama would be making a "good gesture to improve morale of the federal workforce."

Also See: How to Petition the Government in Under 5 Minutes

This would be far from the first time a president has pulled the old Ebenezer Scrooge switcheroo and given the Bob Cratchits of the federal workforce some extra paid time off around Christmas.

As the petitioners point out, President Obama gave federal workers a half-day off on Dec. 24, 2009 and President George W. Bush gave them a half-day off on Dec. 24, 2002 and full days off on Dec. 24, 2001, Dec. 26, 2003, Dec. 24, 2007, and Dec. 26, 2008.

Created in 2011 as an extension of President Obama's government transparency initiative, the White House's "We the People" feature allows Americans over the age of 13 to quickly create and sign petitions on any topic.

Also See:
Low Morale in Homeland Security, GAO Reports
Majority Say Save Government Services: Survey
Obama White House Accepts Openness Award in Secret

Comments

December 11, 2012 at 1:20 pm
(1) Bill says:

Cut the pensions of elected officials they are Americas problem

December 17, 2012 at 3:13 pm
(2) dennym68111 says:

Cut not only their pensions but also their health care for life and any other entitlements they receive. They make more than the $22500 of the medicare recipients that they want to take from.

December 17, 2012 at 3:44 pm
(3) Federal employee says:

Federal pensions are about 25% of their pay.

Federal employees have never received health care for life, although they may continue paying their share and continue health insurance into retirement.

December 18, 2012 at 4:18 pm
(4) Fed says:

Elected Officials are not FEDERAL EMPLOYEES! Federal Employees benefits are similar to the public workforce. The elected official’s get all the goody’s for life with only a few years of service. Federal Employees pay Social Security, Medicare, etc, etc. and have to work to retirement! Elected officials know that most people confuse them with the federal service so federal employees, benefits and salary are the first they cut from the budget while the elected officials get more benefits and salaries!

December 18, 2012 at 4:54 pm
(5) S says:

While I understand what you are asking, let’s look at this in a more sensible manner. With our country on the brink of financial collapse and the issue of “over the cliff” that the government needs to come to work to work out (had all year) why in the world would we want to put more burden on the tax payer, by asking our President to give all government workers the day off, paid by the tax payer? Plus, if this is decided upon by our own government to do this, why leave everyone else out of this great day off – the vendors, private sector, Contractors contracted to assist the government on their tasks/projects, corporations? They are ALL Tax Payers too!! Why should this be One Sided all the time when getting this time off? We ALL come to work to work hard to keep America going? *This was typed out during my super late lunch.

December 18, 2012 at 7:03 pm
(6) MD says:

As a Federal Employee, I work for the President. He is the one who can grant a day off with pay to us.
If the CEO or owner of the business you work for wants to give you the day off…they won’t extent that to Federal worker.

December 19, 2012 at 10:00 am
(7) Fed_in_MD says:

Feds will get paid for the day regardless. We’ll either work or take our leave, If an executive order is signed, they won’t have to turn on the lights or run the heat.

December 19, 2012 at 10:34 am
(8) km says:

Most of our customers will be too busy to conduct business on the 24th. It’s a waste to maintain a building or buildings for limited staff. Yes, the POTOS has bigger fish to fry but this would be a good morale booster since we have been effected by the pay freeze for 3 years.

December 19, 2012 at 11:35 am
(9) B W says:

As far as I’m concerned if you want Christmas eve off take vacation time. If you don’t feel like you’re being treated fairly working for the Federal government quit and get a job in the private sector. Then you won’t get all of your 10 Federal holidays (plus up to 26 days paid vacation) and you’ll have to actually be productive to receive a pay check.

December 19, 2012 at 12:25 pm
(10) @bw says:

You use your leave and retire for good.

December 19, 2012 at 12:45 pm
(11) J says:

I am a federal employee, I pay taxes, pay into healthcare, etc. just like everyone else. Although, I cannot speak for all federal employees I will state that me and those in my career field a grossly underpaid. I make just shy of $60k per year plus benefits, my counterpart in the private sector has a median salary of $90k per year plus benefits. On to Christmas…if we get the day off great, if not that is ok too. I do not see any need for anyone to get upset because federal employees were granted a day off by their boss, the President. Some of those in the private sector get Christmas day off and some don’t. Not everything is the same, not every company is equal. If you don’t like it you have the freedom to choose another career, company, life etc.

December 19, 2012 at 5:48 pm
(12) Op01 says:

Federal employees pay for health care, I pay roughly $500 a month, plus pay into social security as well as into a 401K plan. There are no benenfits for life, unless I wsih to continue to pay the premius monthly for my health care. The balance of our retirment income is derivived from what we pauy into the 401k plan plus your social security, plus an annuity euqal to 1.1% of your anual salary. The old civil service retirement system has not exisited since 1986, which in that case could be up to 80% of your salary upon retirement. That only exists for those folks left in the government who entered government service before 1986.

Members of congress are also covered under the same health care system, so they also do not have benfits for life unless they pay for them. Granted since most of them are milionaires, a paltry $500 a month is no big deal to most.

December 19, 2012 at 6:02 pm
(13) DVB says:

To S, the reason why the Presidents have traditionally given Dec 24 as a holiday when it falls on a Mondat is because so many people are using leave days that it is not cost efficient to run the federal building facilities for a single day in between the weekend and another holiday. By declaring xmas eve a holiday, we wuould actually save taxpayer money.

December 19, 2012 at 6:28 pm
(14) usgovinfo says:

To All: To read the facts about the benefits of Members of Congress, see: Salaries and Benefits of US Congress Members

Op01 — has it right!

Robert Longley

December 19, 2012 at 6:47 pm
(15) Johnny says:

All you private sector workers have no idea how hard the government workers have to work to make ends meet. Long hours, little time off, and low pay, all so we can serve our country with little thanks. I think our President should give them not only Christmas Eve off, but New Year’s Eve off as well. After all, let’s be honest, how many of you private sector workers will work those days? Most likely, you will all be all home sitting on your sofa watching television and getting ready to go back to your high paid cushy jobs in the private sector.

December 20, 2012 at 6:32 am
(16) Jason Peters says:

I am also a Federal Employee. It is not important whether we get Chritmas Eve off or New Year’s Eve off, but it is very important that the government MUST get rid of all those blood sucking private contractors. This will definitely save Taxpayer lots of money. These blood sucking contractors or beltway bandits never produced their work, especially those in the Department of Defense. We always hear about project cost overrun and $3000 toilet seat. It’s TRUE!!! Because language in contract term allows private companies to bill the government ridiculous fees. Hence, private company can lavish and enjoy Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve off; while we, the Federal workers get the blame for contributing to the “Fiscal Cliff” regardless we get the day off.

December 20, 2012 at 11:24 am
(17) CAROL says:

Well, since I am a TAXPAYER, and have a large amount of taxes taken out of my paycheck, which pays my own salary people. Give us the day off. We have had no pay raises in over 2 years. Limited job openings. Overloaded with case work due to Identity Theft uproar morale is bad.

December 20, 2012 at 11:38 am
(18) Shannon L says:

Not everyone that works for the Federal Government gets the same benefits. There are housekeepers, cafeteria workers, etc. If you think they make high salaries, take a second look. They also do not get 26 paid vacation days. These people pay more money for health insurance than congress or the post office and try to support their families and children, some on $30000 a year. No raises but the insurance premiums sure went up the last 3 years. They are lucky not to have been laid off as some in the private sector but anyone can apply for that government job cleaning bathrooms, hospital rooms etc. So quit assuming all government workers get the same things. We do not.

December 20, 2012 at 11:51 am
(19) Judy says:

I am sick of the feuding between democrats and republicans; our country needs to do away with the parties and become what we are suppose to be, UNITED. I cannot believe that the republicans will not agree to tax increases for those who earn more than $400,000 per year; all they would have to do is contribute their annual INTEREST income instead of sticking it to us middle class wage earners that end up paying the majority of taxes.
I say let “the people” decide! I’ll bet that that aren’t many of the middle class people that would not agree that the wealthy can help out a little more in a time of crisis. My annual income is $40,000; if I had $400,000, wow, I could help with the National Debt!

They way I see it is that that the republicans will do everthing in their power to disagree with the president and have no intentions of agreeing to his ideas even if it would help with the national debt.

December 20, 2012 at 2:16 pm
(20) S sux says:

“S” ….it SAVES the taxpayers money by giving the day off. It COSTS MORE for a normal work day to take place.

December 20, 2012 at 2:47 pm
(21) Aletha says:

I am also a federal employee and as I am reading comments from private sector. Half the information is inaccurate. We all know that the same jobs we do in the federal governmnet, the private sector get paid a lot more. We had a person who left their private sector job to take an Director job in the federal government and she took an $100,000 cut. Her private sector director position paid her in the mid 200,000 a year. How do I know? I worked at the time in personnel and I was responsible for processing personnel action etc. and managing the OPF Official Personnel Folder. So let’s stop the madness with federal government employees. If we do get the Christmas Eve off we are entitle to that as we have not received a cost of living in 3 years. I am quite sure that the private sector still continues to get their cost of living and yes don’t forget bonuses.

December 20, 2012 at 2:50 pm
(22) A says:

I am a federal employee, pay my taxes, pay into my 401K, pay for medical insurance, and have NO dental insurance. We haven’t gotten a pay raise since 2009 and when we did, it was about 1.3%. The median pay raise for workers is 3% for 2013 – our pay is still frozen! Teachers go on strike because they can’t get their requested 15-20% raises over x amount of years, and our pay is still frozen! What would happen if the peon government non-elected officials like myself go on strike? Good luck America! Throw us a bone Mr. President!

December 20, 2012 at 3:49 pm
(23) Robbi Santore says:

It would be really nice to have the day off since we have not had a pay raise in over two years!

December 20, 2012 at 4:10 pm
(24) Amy says:

There is no reason for the POTUS to not give us Christmas Eve off. It will have no negative implications on the fiscal cliff, or send the country into some sort of turmoil. It’s just a nice gesture that would be appreciated by many.
I would guess that there is not a congressman or senator working that day. I am also guessing that unless something major happens, Obama will be spending it with his family. How about let us spend it with ours?
Instead of waiting, allow people to plan a 4 day weekend instead of announcing it at 4pm Friday.
It makes more sense than giving us an authorized day off for every former presidents funerals.

December 20, 2012 at 8:18 pm
(25) MomofTwo says:

I am a Federal employee. AS a federal employee, I have been maligned for years. I am not an elected official. I pay taxes. I requested to use a vacation day for Christmas Eve. My vacation day was denied, along with most of my coworkers. Some bozo thinks that there are actually going to be business taxpayers calling me in the evening (I work 4:30pm-1:00am) on Christmas Eve. So, now I will be sitting at my desk, while my family and children (who are NOT grown) will be celebrating Christmas without me. I am not in a critical job – protecting the country, the borders, saving lives (doctor or nurse), police or fire. I answer phone calls from business’ about their taxes. So trust me, I would be more than happy to use my leave to have the day off. But that is not allowed, so I am dependent on hoping that our illustrious president will approve the day. I am sure that he won’t since he can spend $4million of taxpayer dollars to go to Hawaii for Christmas.

December 20, 2012 at 9:20 pm
(26) Phllykttn says:

I also work for the IRS and work second shift so my TOD ends at 1:30am. I requested use of my accrued annual leave for Christmas Eve so that I could spend the weekend with my family (parents, siblings, nieces and nephews) none of whom I’ve seen since my 5 year old nephews bone marrow transplant ten months ago because they live 12 hours away. I had hoped to observe the holiday with my family on Christmas Eve since we would have to drive home Christmas Day so I can be back at my desk on the 26th. I was denied the use of my accrued leave because leave requests are granted on a first come-first serve basis and since the first shift is present to put in a leave request prior to second shift simply because their work day starts earlier, there are “no available leave hours” to grant to second shift workers. Thank me for fifteen years of faithful service.

December 21, 2012 at 12:07 pm
(27) Maggie says:

Congress gets to go home early, why not other federal workers?

December 21, 2012 at 12:12 pm
(28) Ms Chelle says:

I work for the government and actually love my job though the salary is almost 1/2 less of what I would make in the private sector My real estate taxes doubled, my insurance for both car, home and health has increased, I have not received a Cost of Living Raise in several years. I have a different set of standards than the civilian population and have to go through my chain of command for everything. when I retire my social security benefits will be decreased because I will also collect from FERS (can’t collect from both because it is “double dipping”) so if the President wants to give us a day off so that we can spend it with family – so be it . . . .
How many of you are going to be calling the IRS or the VA or Hud or any other government agency on Christmas Eve? That is a bigger waste of money to have people at work and no work being produced because of lack of clients? Let us have the day off and come back happy and relaxed because of being able to spend time with our family. thank you

December 21, 2012 at 1:25 pm
(29) T says:

I too am a federal employee and boy I’d be happy if I made anywhere close to what some people make. Do I get 26 days of leave a year, yep – then again you have to be with the federal government 15 years before you get that many days. It’s not like you get it when you start. A day off before Christmas would be nice…I’d get to see more of my little sister before she heads for Guantanamo Bay for a year. Ms Chelle you would be amazed how many vets call the VA even on the holidays. But irregardless of a day off or not I would most likely have to go to work anyway. I accept that and always have.

December 21, 2012 at 1:36 pm
(30) Dick Shoemaker says:

In regards to the $3000 toilet seat comment by Jason Peters – as a federal subcontractor involved in construction, I can say with confidence that sometimes you just need a stainless steel toilet that meets all sorts of codes and standards, can be detached from the wall in case of emergency, and withstand significant amounts of abuse.

December 21, 2012 at 1:47 pm
(31) Peter says:

It doesn’t matter if government workers get a paid day off on Christmas Eve. For the most part, they don’t work hard while they are at work anyway.

December 21, 2012 at 1:53 pm
(32) Candy says:

Responding to the comment that tax payers pay federal employees wages… That is partly true. Federal employees also pay taxes, you make it sound like we don’t

December 21, 2012 at 2:13 pm
(33) K says:

I am a Federal Employee and i resent greatly those – like you Peter – that say we don’t work hard. Do not stereotype. I came from the public sector and believe me there are plenty there that don’t work hard but they make twice what I do so basically it doesn’t matter where you work, there are always people that just skate by while others work diligently. I work 12 and 16 hour days because due to budget constraints my department is short staffed. i don’t leave my desk even for lunch – I either eat while I work or I don’t eat at all. As stated by others, I also pay taxes, medical insurance, etc. etc. etc. I don’t believe that anyone is “Entitled” to anything but you can earn things or be rewarded and I think having Christmas Eve off to spend with my family would make up for a lot of the days that I leave home in the dark and get home in the dark due to 12 or more hour days.

December 21, 2012 at 2:14 pm
(34) Jim says:

Peter – I am sure your a hard worker… IF YOU THINK THE GOVERNMENT has it made and we make so much money and not work hard why not get a job here. I never understand why people post and have never worked for the Government or for the Government. Has your salary been frozen for 2+ years? No bonuses? No gifts? No parties? Etc… Sounds great huh?

December 21, 2012 at 2:23 pm
(35) jennifer says:

It is so funny to see all the people that spout off about federal and government employees. When they know nothing about what they are talking about. I pay taxes just like you, I work for the usda. We are self reliant. We do not use tax money! We work and earn our keep. I work my butt off and travel constantly. We are generally under paid and would make much more money in the private sector. Our wages have been frozen pretty much since I started this job as taxes and insurance continue to increase. We also get paid no matter if we work or not like others have said. A lot of companies take 2-whole week off around the big holidays. We get the day off only. Also I work most of our ten holiday days federal government gets off. So thank you I work and work holidays. And if you are considered vital you don’t get holidays off. And in regardless to the 26 days off that we all get. Haha you get that after 15 years of service.
If people are going to run their mouths figure out what you are talking about. Before you start talking.
I think its funny how people think I make so much money because I work for the govt when I don’t. Lol

December 21, 2012 at 3:15 pm
(36) waste_fraud_and_abuse says:

Heard this was just announced for 2012. How much is this costing the taxpayers? Seems like every 3-day weekend they get an additional 2-4 hours of taxpayer paid time to get off early.

For those crying about being underpaid, that is your choice. Get a new job like everyone else.

December 21, 2012 at 3:18 pm
(37) waste_fraud_and_abuse says:

Jim, if your pay is an issue, why don’t you get a better paying job? Non-gov’t workers do it.

December 21, 2012 at 3:20 pm
(38) Sam says:

He who hath the gold makes the rules, so legislators will reap huge benefits while the voters that put them in office will not.

December 21, 2012 at 3:25 pm
(39) waste_fraud_and_abuse says:

Candy,

The point is that everyone pays taxes, so why should only a certain group get a “paid” day off? Why not let everyone who pays taxes get a free paid day off courtesy of the USG?

Has anyone done a study on the how much this costs us each year? There are 4 or 5 3-day weekends, multiply that by the 2-4 hours given to government employees to leave early each time, and then the usually Xmas Eve day off? Looking at 16-18 hours for each gov’t employee a year. Deficit what?

December 21, 2012 at 3:36 pm
(40) D_D says:

Just received the email that we were granted Christmas Eve off.
Yay!

December 21, 2012 at 3:38 pm
(41) waste_fraud_and_abuse says:

Jason Peters,

Let me clue you in on Money/Blood Sucking Contractors: If they were not around, this country would never get anything done.

Depending on what type of contractor you are referring to, many work twice as hard as their government counterparts. Case in point: contractors do not get paid for breaks and lunches like their government counterparts do. The smoking zones are filled with the same people every hour, or two for fifteen minutes of BSing, and they are getting paid for it, unlike contractors.I’ve worked as a military, gov’t worker, and contractor and can assure you that in general, the government worker provides less of a return than a military person or contractor. Unfortunately it ruins the reputation of those hard working government employees.

So Jason, while you come into work and ready your paper for 1-2 hours and drink your coffee every day, how much are you costing us taxpayers?

Just think, this little day off costs contractors quite a bit of money to pay their staff, who either have to use their personal vacation time, or a contractors overhead since they can’t get into work. If they have no vacation time, those contractors have to get unpaid leave, which impacts their families.

December 21, 2012 at 3:45 pm
(42) Vanessa says:

Ummm….

Speaking as a Federal Employee, WE PAY TAXES TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So quit whining…I know many, many private sector employees that have christmas eve off.

December 21, 2012 at 3:46 pm
(43) waste_fraud_and_abuse says:

Math is hard.

December 21, 2012 at 3:55 pm
(44) waste_fraud_and_abuse says:

All these government employees complaining about not having pay raises is a joke. There is a reason they still do not leave that job like others would in the private sector, just waiting them to explain why.

The idiocy in all of this “free” leave is those who already planned on taking a vacation day are getting it free as well.

December 21, 2012 at 4:45 pm
(45) Johnathan says:

Wow. If you are a Federal employee you should be complaining in the least bit. I work with Federal employees everyday and compared to the private sector these guys have it cake easy. I am not “hating” just saying what are you complaining about? lol

December 21, 2012 at 6:13 pm
(46) jennifer says:

It’s not costing tax payers anything. Lol and govt employees pay taxes. Plus my job isn’t funded by taxes and I work in fed govt . You don’t know what you’re talking about so stop.
And its not like the job market is that abundant as I’m looking for something else because I’m past sick of being gone 80-90% of the time.

December 21, 2012 at 6:16 pm
(47) jennifer says:

And unless your in Washington we don’t usually get any eves off.

December 21, 2012 at 6:21 pm
(48) Ann Coppess says:

I am a federal employee. I am an x-ray technologist in a VA hospital. Not all federal employees sit at a desk and do nothing!

December 22, 2012 at 8:51 am
(49) Another Federal Employee says:

I am a federal employee. I am a taxpayer! I PLANNED a vacation day.

I can see both sides of this. Employees feel this is a gesture of good faith since they haven’t received a raise in a few years now. The Exec’s realize that with the VERY low number of people scheduled to be in on Monday, it will cost much more to light and heat the building than is fiscally responsible.

I get why non-government workers are upset: another perk to us. There are days off that some of you get, that we don’t. We don’t get the state holidays, even though we work in those states that do. Someone will always complain, no matter which side you stand on.

To those that addressed federal employee non-productivity: sure, some of those people exist (this is NOT a phenomenon limited to federal employees…look around YOUR place of work!) Please don’t paint us all with the stroke of that brush. I work 1-2 hours extra several days a week. I don’t request overtime, credit hours, or any compensation. I do it because there are things happening. I don’t feel right leaving in the middle of things (conscientious) . It’s not because I sat on my butt. It’s usually because of time zone differences with people involved in projects. It’s my choice to stay and see it through. I bring my laptop home on vacation to keep on top of things.

Do I think congress should be reined in and not allowed these HUGE pensions? Or other perks they vote themselves? Absolutely! After all, I am a taxpayer too! We do NOT get those benefits either!

We are working people, just like you. We have a job that we go to everyday. We are stressed. We are pushed to do more with less. Some of us are harassed, sworn at daily, and called names because we are doing our jobs. The constant threat of RIF and outsourcing is undeniable. Our boss changes every few years, and with that change come uncertainty. We are more like you than you realize. The president of our company just happens to be THE president.

December 22, 2012 at 11:44 am
(50) RetMil says:

ALL of you are missing a major point – the cost to the taxpayers of a declared holiday is the sum of all the salaries of the employees who are given the day off. This is probably in the 100′s of millions of dollars. In addition, those who had scheduled annual leave for the 24th will take another day before the end of the leave year if in a use-or-lose status. Also, the executive order is silent on military – another backhanded slap at our overworked and overextended men and women in uniform.

December 22, 2012 at 7:51 pm
(51) Sabowest says:

Please don’t forget that on Friday they also got the 59 min rule. Oh yes…..you know how that works in the real world right? Well let’s see, if I get paid for 8 hrs I have to work 8 hrs, but if you work for the Feds they have this rule that the day before a federal holiday they only work 7 hrs and 1 min and get paid for 8 hrs.

December 23, 2012 at 1:57 pm
(52) vmkd2020 says:

Wow, unbelievable! Our budget is in crisis mode and the prez feels that it’s a swell idea to have yet another paid holiday for the federal workforce, who are already paid about 22% more than the private sector. This is yet another one of his clunker ideas.

December 23, 2012 at 7:32 pm
(53) jon says:

Yep let’s give abunch of feds another paid holiday that will help the debt out

December 23, 2012 at 7:48 pm
(54) mailclerk says:

I work in the mailroom at a Va and will be at work but I’m blessed to have my 28,000 salary and some benefit and will be glad to be there for Xmas eve. My get a early release and that would be good too.

December 24, 2012 at 12:59 am
(55) Gosh - So Many Haters says:

Sabowest: Who the heck are “they?”. You wrote: Please don’t forget that on Friday they also got the 59 min rule. I worked past my TOD on Friday. No one let early, not even 5 minutes. Just curious about the infamous, usually nameless “they” you referenced. You and the other folks making unsubstantiated claims about fed workers are funny in a pathetic way.

And as for the mil side – comment directed at RetMil – unless you work in a high-tempo or high profile area, you know a lot of AD are getting some free days either the week of Christmas or the following week. And many more are getting half days without taking leave. And why are you tripping about one day? How many family and goal days have AD personnel gotten over the years with pay in addition to the federal holidays? Been there, done that too. Plus considering fed civ employees have had their pay frozen for a couple of years, and AD has not – you know we’d be livid if that had happened – what’s a day Mr/Mrs. Scrooge?

December 24, 2012 at 12:26 pm
(56) Ron I. says:

To those who bring up making less working for the Federal Government than they would in the civilian sector…why not move to the civilian sector?
As a veteran, the VA has still not processed my GI Bill registrstion for this term more than 3 weeks after my school submitted it. They blame a backlog, yet a free day off is justified? If you are so backlogged that I have to hold for a representative for 1 hour and 45 mins (yes, I have a screen shot to prove it), then taking an extra holiday off should not be an option.
If a civilian sector company had the same back log do you honestly believe they would allow employees to take a day off on them? No, they would do the proper business practice and work as much as possible at fixing the backlog.
I realize my school will get paid, my BAH and book stipend payments will eventually come..but chances of me being able to pay rent on Jan. 2 is slim to none as my BAH will most likely not deposit. I realize there may be more work than the VA can handle quickly…but taking today off does affect a certain amount of veterans who are awaiting payment. So, whoever said that this day off doesn’t affect people negatively must not be concerned with the thousand or so people that may have gotten their payments processed today…Enjoy your day off, thanks Mr. President..I will let my school and landlord know the VA enjoyed their Christmas Eve…

December 26, 2012 at 5:24 pm
(57) SAM07 says:

Before I was a federal employee, I am a state government employee, I will tell you we got more time off, higher pay and better benefits with state government then I do with the feds. The only reason I changed jobs is to work closer to home and my children. When people talk about federal employees making too much money and having too many days off, you are only talking about maybe 10% of federal employees. The other 80% of us are underpaid and don’t get much time off unless we take our own leave. My husband works in the private sector; he is paid better and receives A LOT more time off around the holidays, hell, he only has to work a half day on Good Friday. Please remember you are talking about a very small percentage of us when you say we are overpaid and off too much. We want to spend extra time with our families as much as the next person. I have had to work the day after Thanksgiving for the last four years while the rest of my family is at home enjoying each other’s company, getting Christmas Eve off with my family was a blessing. Please respect our jobs and we will respect yours.

December 28, 2012 at 1:14 pm
(58) Contractor#99 says:

OMG – I’ve worked as a contractor for the USAF for 16 years and I’m dumbstruck by GS workers inability to “get it”, to understand what it’s like to have a job in private industry where you get fired for sleeping at your desk – coming in late – leaving early – doing nothing. I wish I were kidding, but I’m not – I’m disgusted – and there’s not much that can be done. The deadwood never gets fired – they just move them from one department to another. And for this, they have the best of medical plans and retirement. Wow…pft. What a system.