The White House will send greeting cards signed by the President of the United States to commemorate special events, accomplishments or milestones free of charge to U.S. citizens. To request a greeting card from the President, just follow these guidelines from the White House Greetings Office:
Requests may be submitted through the "Constituent Services" function of one of the U.S. Senators or U.S. Representatives from your state. Requests can also be mailed, at least six weeks in advance of the event to: White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, D.C. 20500.
In addition, requests can be made using the Contact the White House online web form at: http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/submit-questions-and-comments and providing the request details in the "Comments" box.
NOTE: WHITE HOUSE GREETINGS OFFICE IS SWAMPED
The Obama White House is informing citizens requesting greeting cards that it is currently taking "several months" for the request to reach the Greetings Office and be mailed out. While the Greetings Office is unable to guarantee on time arrival of greeting cards, they promise it will arrive eventually.
U.S. CITIZENS ONLY. The White House will send greetings to United States citizens only, for special occasions as outlined below.
ADVANCE NOTICE REQUIRED. Your request should be received at least six (6) weeks in advance of the event date. (Greetings are generally not sent after the event date, except for wedding congratulations and newborn acknowledgments.)
ANNIVERSARY GREETINGS. Anniversary greetings will be sent to couples who are celebrating a 50th, 60th, 70th or later wedding anniversary.
BIRTHDAY GREETINGS. Birthday greetings will be sent only to people turning 80 or older or veterans turning 70 or older.
OTHER GREETINGS. A limited number of special occasions other than birthdays and anniversaries exist for which the Greetings Office will send appropriate recognition to United States citizens. These occasions include important life events such as:
- Wedding (send your request after the event)
- Baby's birth or adoption of a child
- Retirement after at least 30 years on the same job
- Eagle Scout Award
- Girl Scout Gold Award
- Bar/Bat Mitzvah or equivalent religious occasion
REQUIRED INFORMATION. Please include the following in your reqeust:
- name and home address of honoree(s)
- form of address (Mr., Ms., Mrs., Dr., Miss, etc.)
- exact date of occasion (month, day, year)
- age (birthdays) or number of years of marriage
- your (the requestor's) name and daytime phone number
- any specific mailing instructions if other than to honoree's address
- Wedding (Include couple's married names and current or new address)