1. News & Issues

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:


was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Does HUD Owe You a Refund
Find and get your own HUD refund
 More of this Feature
• 1: The HUD Tracer Scam
 Join the Discussion
"Share your opinions on a host of government issues"
Click Here to Take Part

"Debate the Gun Control Issue here."
Click Here to Take Part

  Related Resources
• Buy a Home From HUD and Save
• Money for Housing & Home Repairs
• Housing & Homeless Resources
 From Other Guides
• Job Scams! -US
• Job Scams! - Canada
• Fraud, Schemes & Scams
 Elsewhere on the Web
• Does HUD Owe You Money
• HUD Refund Fact Sheet

Anyone who ever had a mortgage insured by HUD/FHA may be due a refund on part of the mortgage's insurance premium or a share of the earnings. 

You may be eligible for a refund of a portion of the insurance premium from HUD/FHA if you:

  • acquired your loan AFTER September 1, 1983 
  • paid an upfront mortgage insurance premium at closing AND 
  • did not default on your mortgage payments. 

Review your settlement papers or check with your mortgage company to determine if you paid an upfront premium. For more information about HUD/FHA mortgage refunds, read this Fact Sheet.

If you are approached by a "HUD Tracer" offering to get such a refund for you in return for a fee, you need to know that you can get the money yourself, free of charge, directly from HUD/FHA.

To find out if HUD owes you a refund, simply visit HUD's "Does HUD Owe You A Refund?" Web page at: http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/comp/refunds/index.cfm

Follow the directions to search for your name or FHA case number. 

If your name is on the list, call 1-800-697-6967 to make arrangements for getting your full refund, free of charge.

If you name was not found on the list, but you think you are due a refund, call the same toll-free number to inquire.

Report Tracer Abuse: If you have been misled or in any way harmed by a tracer, or have been contacted or harmed by a firm offering to help you make money by becoming a "HUD Tracer," HUD wants to know about it.

To contact HUD by phone, call toll-free 1-800-697-6967, from 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. (ET), Monday through Friday.

The mailing address for HUD is: 

U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development
P.O. Box 23699
Washington, DC 20026-3699

Unscrupulous tracer can also be reported online at: http://www.hud.gov/trace.cfm 

Subscribe to the Newsletter


©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.