1. News & Issues

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:


was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Government Aid & Money - No Grants Needed
Part 5: Home Improvement and Housing Assistance
More of this Feature
Part 1: No Grants?
Part 2: Small Business
Part 3: Healthcare
Part 4: Work/Career
Part 5: Home/Housing
Part 6: Food/Nutrition
Part 7: Child/Family

Related Resources
Federal Grants - No Free Lunch
Government Jobs
Child Care
Food & Nutrition
Health & Medicine
Housing & Homeless
Older Americans

Federal Job Openings
State Job Openings

New: Books on Student Loans and Grants, and Money Management

Related Books
Compare Prices - Buy Safely Online

"Free Money to Change Your Life"

"Free Money® for Small Businesses and Entrepreneurs"

"Free College Money & Training for Women"

"Free Money for College"

"Income Security & Public Assistance for Women & Children"

"10 Minute Guide to Beating Debt"

From Other Guides
Help With Grants
Help From Foundations
Get Out of Debt
Repair Your Credit

Federal Resources

HUD - First-time Homeowners Assistance
The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers many programs to assist people in buying their first home.

HUD - Senior Citizen Assistance Programs

HUD - Veterans' Resource Center (HUDVET)
Combines the services of HUD and the Veterans' Administration.

HUD - Disabled Persons' Assistance Programs

HUD - Native Americans

HUD - Home Improvements Assistance
Whether you want to fix a faucet or add a new addition to your home, you need to know the facts and the pitfalls of home improvements. Here are some sources that can help.

HUD - Homelessness Assistance Programs
If you are homeless, help is available! HUD, along with many other federal agencies listed here fund programs to help the homeless.

USDA - Rural Housing Service
The Rural Housing Service provides a number of homeownership opportunities to rural Americans, as well as programs for home renovation and repair. RHS also makes financing available to elderly, disabled, or low-income rural residents of multi-unit housing buildings to ensure they are able to make rent payments.

Local Resources
Call your city or county Human Services Department for help in finding affordable housing or homelessness assistance. For help with home repairs, call the city or county Building Officer, or speak to a Building Inspector.

Subscribe to the Newsletter

©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.