1. News & Issues
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

The Federal Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program

Federal Government Benefit Program


Woman doing paperwork at home
ONOKY - Eric Audras/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images
If you cannot afford to pay your home energy bill, your home may not be safe, and you and your family may be at risk of serious illness or injury. The federal Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) may be able to help keep you and your family safe and healthy.

Program Description
The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) helps qualifying low income households pay their heating and cooling energy costs. In some states, home weatherization assistance is also available.

General Eligibility Requirements
In order to qualify for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), you must need financial assistance for home energy costs and your household's annual income before taxes must not exceed income levels established by the various state LIHEAP offices, based on the current state median income and federal poverty levels.

How to Apply
To find out whether you are eligible to receive LIHEAP benefits and to apply for assistance, contact your state or tribal LIHEAP office. For help in applying for Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program benefits, you may also call this toll-free number: 866-674-6327.

Documents to Take With You
When you apply, you should be able to provide:
  • Recent copies of your utility bills.
  • A recent payroll stub or other proof that shows your current gross income.
  • Documentation showing income from Social Security, Unemployment Insurance, Pension Funds, disability, etc.
  • Final Utility Termination Notice (if you've received a shut-off notice from your energy company).
  • Proof of present address (e.g., rent receipt, lease or deed, property tax bill).
  • Proof of total number of people living in your household (e.g., birth certificates, school records, etc.).
  • Social Security cards (or numbers) for all persons living in your household.
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent residence.

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.