1. News & Issues
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

How to Get Copies or Transcripts of Your IRS Tax Returns


How to Get Copies or Transcripts of Your IRS Tax Returns
You can get an exact copy of a previously filed and processed U.S. income tax return and all attachments (including Form W-2), by completing IRS Form 4506 (PDF), Request for Copy of Tax Return, and mailing it to the address listed in the instructions, along with a payment of $57.00 for each tax year requested. Make you check or money order payable to the "United States Treasury."

Copies of jointly filed tax returns may be requested by either spouse and only one signature is required. Allow 60 calendar days to receive your copies.

Transcripts of Tax Returns – No Charge
For many purposes, you can meet the requirements for past tax returns with a “transcript” – a computer print-out of the information on your old tax return – rather than an exact copy. A transcript may be an acceptable substitute for an exact copy of a return by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services and lending agencies for student loans and mortgages.

A "tax return transcript" will show most line items contained on the return as it was originally filed. If you need a statement of your tax account which shows changes that you or the IRS made after the original return was filed, however, you must request a "tax account transcript". Both transcripts are generally available for the current and past three years and are provided free of charge. The period in which you will receive the transcript varies from within ten to thirty business days from the time the IRS receives your request for the tax return or tax account transcript.

You can obtain a free transcript by calling the IRS at toll-free 800-829-1040 and following the prompts in the recorded message.

You can also obtain a free transcript by completing IRS Form 4506-T (PDF), Request for Transcript of Tax Return, and mailing it to the address listed in the instructions.

For Taxpayers Trying to Get or Modify a Home Loan
To help taxpayers trying to obtain, modify or refinance a home mortgage, the IRS has created IRS Form 4506T-EZ, Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript. Transcripts ordered using Form 4506T may also be mailed to a third party, such as a mortgage institution, if specified on the form. You must sign and date the form giving your consent for the disclosure. Businesses, partnerships or individuals who need transcript information from other forms, such as Form W-2 or Form 1099, can use Form 4506-T (PDF), Request for Transcript of Tax Return, to obtain the information. These transcripts may also be mailed to a third party if there is consent for the disclosure.

For Taxpayers Impacted by Federally Declared Disasters
For taxpayer impacted by a federally declared disaster, the IRS will waive the usual fees and expedite requests for copies of tax returns for people who need them to apply for benefits or to file amended returns claiming disaster-related losses. For additional information, refer to IRS Tax Topic 107, Tax Relief Disaster Situations, or call the IRS Disaster Assistance Hotline at 866-562-5227.

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.